Zildjian Z?

AK-Drummer

i was thinking about gettin a value pack thing of Z zildjian's its got the 16 and 18 crash and then a 12 splash...its like 300. it worth the money?

lowdrummer

I have a 19 inch z custom medium crash and it sounds realy good, Ive had te 18 inch and it sounded horrible. The Z's are very loud and aggressive, there awesome for live stuff but not so good for recording, If you want beautiful sounding cymbals go with th A customs, avidis, or K custom lines from Zildjian.

drum_bum

iv got a z custom 16" and 18" crash and a 20" ride.crashes are loud and the ride is loud,but you can hear the stick definition well.

as for recording,i found they recorded pretty well,but it also depends on the music you play

AK-Drummer

i play at meh church and with anyone who just wants to jam. no recording or stuff. ima rocker type of guy. hehe i help make our church service have more...flavor :D

Howepirate

AK-Drummer":2rieqg01 said:
o and when i jam and stuff ya i do play lota loud crazy rock stuff...
Z customs sound like buttrock imo...i'd say go with sabian aaxplosions...those things are beasts and they last!! i beat the crap outta my 17" and it never showed since of weakness, sound deterioration or cracks....

NT

Howepirate":6ok4dzp2 said:
AK-Drummer":6ok4dzp2 said:
o and when i jam and stuff ya i do play lota loud crazy rock stuff...
Z customs sound like buttrock imo...i'd say go with sabian aaxplosions...those things are beasts and they last!! i beat the crap outta my 17" and it never showed since of weakness, sound deterioration or cracks....
not in my experiences.. all my sabians couldn't handle it..

screamBRYAN

Meinl Cymbals will solve your problems, check out Meinl's Amun series, similar to Z customs imo, you'll save some cash too :)

phil-drummer

I have a 16" rock crash , its brutal , i would definatly say it was a fave , and i would probably buy more given the chance. their pretty robusk to

screamBRYAN

imo, ALL crash cymbals are garbage, I prefer to crash my rides, to me they sound harder, louder, and somehow, higher. I would tell you that all crash cymbals are garbage, but thats not true, thats only true for me because i do not like them. lol, but I definitely recommend you checking out every Meinl series cymbal, they are awesome. www.meinlcymbals.com and you can buy them all at www.lidrum.com since most places do not carry most of them.

anavrinIV

screamBRYAN":2fowz10g said:
imo, ALL crash cymbals are garbage, I prefer to crash my rides, to me they sound harder, louder, and somehow, higher. I would tell you that all crash cymbals are garbage, but thats not true, thats only true for me because i do not like them. lol, but I definitely recommend you checking out every Meinl series cymbal, they are awesome. www.meinlcymbals.com and you can buy them all at www.lidrum.com since most places do not carry most of them.
imo, crashing rides is one of the worst ideas ever devised in the drumming world. ive heard very few rides that sound even decent when crashed and none that will compare to a really good crash.

i agree with howiepirate about the aaxplosions. i ride my 18" aaxplosion and its not shown a sign of wear yet.

i dont think that some of you realize that louder isnt always better and that you dont have to destroy everything you own to be appreciated as a drummer. i was taught that no cymbal has to break and ive taken that thought to heart, so i dont break my cymbals...at least not often. ive only ever broken zbts and a wuhan china. if your cymbals arent loud enough, mic them. dont hit them harder because youre only succeeding in wasting your money.

screamBRYAN

I'm not saying louder is better, but i do like loud better than low. And if you listen to alot of bands like Underoath and Amber Pacific, those bands drummer's "main crash" is the Meinl 22' Heavy Ride, which is what I have as my "main crash" and is the best crash I have ever heard, and i totally agree with what you said about alot of rides sounding completely horrible when crashed. I think about 90% of ride cymbals are horrible when crashed, Especially Zildjians.

phil-drummer

i wudnt want to purposely break a cymbal , as time n effort went into making them , and becuz they cost money , and sound brilliant

screamBRYAN

I've only broken one cymbal so far, it was a already heavily used ZXT ride that I used to practice with. I crashed that cymbal all the time, and one day it had 2 tiny cracks which are now pretty big, but I still use it for practices and it still delivers almost the same performance, the only bad part about it is that it is no longer good to ping on.

Jiyo

I use only Z custom Zildjian cymbals from size 12 to 21, I think they sound great! They are the rock drummers dream, there loud and heavy and they happen to be very strong as well! This is just my oppinion, but I have tried all the different brands in my 25 years of playing and the Zildjian Z customs to me are the best! Hope this helps! Jiyo

Rockula!

anavrinIV":1bywqubm said:
imo, crashing rides is one of the worst ideas ever devised in the drumming world. ive heard very few rides that sound even decent when crashed and none that will compare to a really good crash.

I've got a 20" A Custom ride that says you don't know what you're talking about
I get so many different tonal variations with that one cymbal that I subtracted two different crashes from my setup
Maybe they just don't work for you
Maybe you haven't explored them adequately

As far as Zs go, I have never cared for them
They sound too "plate-like"
The customs are more musical but the regular Zs are all attack and no resonance
However, I do use an old Z "power smash" as a jazzy/trashy china/ride cymbal

AK-Drummer

hmmm well for 300 bucks i think ill give em a shot. but luckily i start work 2 months early so i have some money to get some others if i dont want them. thanx fer all the help!!!

RSmith

I have a old Z power light crash to which I got in 1986 and still have today. It's a bit too powerful to play live, it's better for a secondary crash for accenting. However, for recording purposes, it does have a nice cut off crash.