Zildjian Z Customs or A Customs?

iatemygoat

ive been a user of Z customs for the past 4 to 5 years now but since joining this forum have heard so much about the A custom series.

my question is i only have enough money at the moment to buy a 17" Z custom Rock Crash (to replace the same cracked cymbal) but im really thinking about getting an A custom Projection Crash. how do the two compare and if it helps i mainly play metal ranging from deathgrind to metalcore.

xdoseonex

a customs are much more versitale. they are thinner, brighter, more shimmering. z customs are very thick (making them crack easier), they are very loud, but they arent versitale, the last time i tried to do a swell on a z custom it sounded like crap. z customs are good if you play only heavy music. but theyre versatility just doesnt cut it for me. the a custom projection line differs from the regular a custom line in that it adds a little more metal to the cymbal, making them a bit thicker. i dont really like the projection line nearly as much as the regular a custom line. if you look at my set you'll see i'm obviously a big a custom fan. i have 2 z custom crashes, one i broke and one i use on a practice set. the a customs are really great, you can do swells and creshendos ( yeah i spelled that wrong) with them and still play brutal death metal with them. but dont expect them to project quite as much as the z customs. do expect them to be better cymbals

anavrinIV

i was basically going to say the same thing as xdoseonex. a customs are are bright and cutting like the z customs but theyre also versatile and much more musical. theyre thinner and they will break just like any cymbal if you abuse them but theyre much better cymbals all around than the zs.

iatemygoat

awsome, thanks everyone. looks like im settled on A's. i was leaning that way anyway but thanks for tipping me over the edge.

xdoseonex

a's or a customs? theyre both great, but i'd go with the a customs hands down, especially if your switching from z customs. if you like the thinkness of the z custom line, the a custom projection line might be better for you, theyre louder and a bit thicker. but i dont find them to be quite as versitale as the regular a customs

iatemygoat

xdoseonex":1og3qtzb said:
a's or a customs? theyre both great, but i'd go with the a customs hands down, especially if your switching from z customs. if you like the thinkness of the z custom line, the a custom projection line might be better for you, theyre louder and a bit thicker. but i dont find them to be quite as versitale as the regular a customs
a custom

xdoseonex

nice. if your looking for a really clean crisp cutting hi-hat sounde your gonna want the a custom mastersounds. the hae a wavy edge on the bottom to let the air out quicker, giving it a much cleaner crisper sound. i have 2 pairs on my set in 13 and 14

skitch

iatemygoat":1mzkxkv0 said:
ive been a user of Z customs for the past 4 to 5 years now but since joining this forum have heard so much about the A custom series.

my question is i only have enough money at the moment to buy a 17" Z custom Rock Crash (to replace the same cracked cymbal) but im really thinking about getting an A custom Projection Crash. how do the two compare and if it helps i mainly play metal ranging from deathgrind to metalcore.
That's quite a difference in sound that you are going for!

iatemygoat

well i ended up buying a 17 inch A Custom Projection Crash and i used it for the first time today at a show. i noticed its not as loud as my 16 inch z custom but it sounds amazing. im really pleased with my purchase.

Rob the Drummer

Never been a fan of Z Customs...too loud! Cymbals are loud enough as it is, then you see a band where a kid washes on that thing all night. Use the cymbals as an instrument, not a tool for punishment!

Anyways, yea. A Customs are F'in sweet!

anavrinIV

xdoseonex":z00euogw said:
oo yeah.a custom mastersounds, I dont think i'll ever switch back to anything else
ive played a custom and avedis mastersounds...both are great sets of hihats. i have some 2002 soundedge hats (paistes equivalent) and they are awesome. definately look at a custom mastersounds if youre sticking with the line.

ChillDrummer

Z Customs limit your playing style to pretty much just rock/metal. A Custom cymbals can be used for multiple styles of music. Z Customs are very thick and are VERY LOUD!!! A Customs, in my opinion, are more musical and sound a lot sweeter!!

Rob Crisp

xdoseonex":13kxmdra said:
nice. if your looking for a really clean crisp cutting hi-hat sounde your gonna want the a custom mastersounds. the hae a wavy edge on the bottom to let the air out quicker, giving it a much cleaner crisper sound. i have 2 pairs on my set in 13 and 14
I have these hats and they rock! They're loud and can be really heavy mate, you'd love em!

Infact check out www.myspace.com/somahigh and you can hear them!

xdoseonex

sweatpants":17vpcj20 said:
Z customs are so heavenly. I would never trade a Z custom for anything else.

...well maybe a crazy Paiste. :?
i just cant play them. you have to have a VERY limited playing styl to use these cymbals