Zildjian Splash

|-JAMIE-|

To be honest i pretty much dont know anything about splashes. Could yous please tell me the difference between a 10" and an 8" and what would be better for metal type drumming out of the ZXT, K series and A custom splashes?
Cheers

michiganice91

if you dont know the difference between an 8 inch cymbal and a 10 inch cymbal you have some serious research to do...but K's and A's are great cymbals..ZXT's are low end

xdoseonex

the smaller the cymbal the higher the pich. a smaller cymbal will usually be not as loud, but sometimes cut through the music better due too the high pitch. the smaller splash will aslo have a quickey decay. I'd like an 8" and a 10" on my set

Johnny Cat

|-JAMIE-|":1keo4hm8 said:
Yeh i mean the like how is the sound different between the 8" and 10"
An 8" splash is usually glassy with a lot more "pssss" and decays faster than a 10", which typically has a bit more body to it; not as much sizzle, a little more midrange, but still in the upper frequencies. A 10" has a bit more projection too. Of course, that also depends on the make of the splashes and the thickness. I find playing accents between hihat slurs and a 10" splash sounds really good, compared to using an 8" splash, but that's personal taste.

The best thing to do is to walk into a music store and find an 8" and a 10" splash of the same line, say, both Sabian AA for example, or whatever. Get familiar with the contrast in sound. Then try some other splashes that are in the same family as each other. After that, start comparing and contrasting splashes that are the same size but different families, or different makes altogether, like Sabian 10" Paragon vs. a Zildjian 10" A Custom, etc. Believe it or not, you could also come across a 10" splash of one make that has the same or very similar characteristics as an 8" splash of another brand.

If you can't do that, just visit the manufacturer's websites and check out sound samples.

Jriddim

I have owned a 12" a zildjian splash for years, and it is such an awesome cymbal... i just recently picked up a 8" K (Zildjian) and a 6" A (custom) and i am in love with 8". It matches PERFECTLY with the 12". the A customs are very bright cymbals...too bright and high pitched for my taste.. but for rock and metal they will DEFINATLEY cut through!!!!! I would most definatley look into A customs

phil-drummer

|-JAMIE-|":2x2gmssm said:
To be honest i pretty much dont know anything about splashes. Could yous please tell me the difference between a 10" and an 8" and what would be better for metal type drumming out of the ZXT, K series and A custom splashes?
Cheers
as you probably have alreddy be told . the 8" will be higher in pitch and a smaller sustain , for metal id probly go for k hi hats, A crashes ( even tho their not to my liking ) and zxt chinas are alrite.

iatemygoat

my buddy had an 8 inch a custom and it would sound great for metal. ive been looking into getting one myself.

galgano16

|-JAMIE-|":2k59htpr said:
Cheers
for metal and louder more aggressive genres, u might wanna go with the bigger one, the 10, or even the 12 if u kan, z custom splashes r very loud, like small crashes

skitch

Johnny Cat":4ezb37c9 said:
|-JAMIE-|":4ezb37c9 said:
Yeh i mean the like how is the sound different between the 8" and 10"
An 8" splash is usually glassy with a lot more "pssss" and decays faster than a 10", which typically has a bit more body to it; not as much sizzle, a little more midrange, but still in the upper frequencies. A 10" has a bit more projection too. Of course, that also depends on the make of the splashes and the thickness. I find playing accents between hihat slurs and a 10" splash sounds really good, compared to using an 8" splash, but that's personal taste.

The best thing to do is to walk into a music store and find an 8" and a 10" splash of the same line, say, both Sabian AA for example, or whatever. Get familiar with the contrast in sound. Then try some other splashes that are in the same family as each other. After that, start comparing and contrasting splashes that are the same size but different families, or different makes altogether, like Sabian 10" Paragon vs. a Zildjian 10" A Custom, etc. Believe it or not, you could also come across a 10" splash of one make that has the same or very similar characteristics as an 8" splash of another brand.

If you can't do that, just visit the manufacturer's websites and check out sound samples.
Excellent reply, Johnny Cat!