Zildjian Ride... Help me Please

cgaffka

Hey everyone!
I have an old ZBT-4 Ride and i want to put it back into use.
Ive seen people putting tape on the bottom of rides?
Will that make it sound better or what other ways can
i make this cymbal sound a little better?

Thanks a lot to anyone helping me out here!
i appreciate it!
Rock on!

screamkevin

cgaffka,

Putting tape on a ride cymbal is like putting a zero-ring or a moongel on a drumhead. It's used to control the amount of ring.

In a cymbal's case, it's used to make the cymbal "dryer". By applying tape, you'll increase what you hear of the stick definition (the "ping"), and decrease the amount of overtones (the "wash") that the cymbal has.

Hope that helps you.

cgaffka

screamkevin":fpqjkgur said:
cgaffka,

Putting tape on a ride cymbal is like putting a zero-ring or a moongel on a drumhead. It's used to control the amount of ring.

In a cymbal's case, it's used to make the cymbal "dryer". By applying tape, you'll increase what you hear of the stick definition (the "ping"), and decrease the amount of overtones (the "wash") that the cymbal has.

Hope that helps you.
Exactly what i am looking for screamkevin.
Thank you so much.. one more thing...
what kind of tape should i use?

screamkevin

Use Duct (duck) tape, or Gaffer's Tape. But understand, that if you put tape on your cymbals, there will be residue that will need to come off should you decide to remove the tape.

cgaffka

ok.. is there any specific way or pattern or something i should put this on?
Thank you guys so much for helping me out!

Shalaq

Usually it's making a square on the bottom of the cymbal that is quite big, almost as big as the cymbal itself. Also I've seen drummers sticking little straps of tape on the bottom at the edge of the cymbal.

C&Cskyler

If the crack is on the edge of the cymbal your ok. But if its in the middle of the cymbal or near the bell get a new one. As you keep hitting it the sound will keep fading away. And tape will just control the amount of ring.