Zildjian K Hats and Metal?

Are K Hi Hats a good choice for heavy music?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brack

I am currently using Paiste Sig Sound Edge Hats, but I am shopping around for an alternate set of hi hats. As I was sampling all the hats on the Zildjian website, I didn't find too many "heavy" artists that use Ks as their hats. The closest, from what I remember, was the K/Z Special hats used by Tre Cool.

Now I would still like a good all purpose cymbal(maybe something a little dryer), even though the majority of my music is heavy, I really liked the K hats. But I am not sure how they would sound once I would start playing with my band. And please don't suggest the Z Customs, I don't particularly care for those as much as the other lines.

Give me your opinion!

stump

The A series master sounds are a great versatile but yet louder set of hats. I play Z customs as well as A new beats. The A master sounds fall right in the middle.

xdoseonex

I think the a custom mastersounds sound alot better than the regular a mastersounds. I have 2 pairs of a custom mastersound hats on my set in 13 and 14 and i love them.but if you looking at k's dont rule them out just cuz your playing heavy music. the drummer for the band i share practice space with uses k mastersounds and they sound great for it

Kaos

I have to vote for A custom mastersounds they are awsome Ive the 15" set and Im thining of a 13 inch set but I gotta get some credit cards paid down a little. A customs are just really musical cymbals the z customs are okay but a little to tangy to me. Dont rule out the K's Ive really been into there rides and bigger crashes but I don't play as much metal mostly rock and hard rock.

Brack

Thanks for all the input guys. I do like the A and A custom hats as well as the Ks. Do you guys think that since I already have the Paiste Sound Edge, which is the equivalent of the Mastersounds, I should try something different like the New Beats or whatever? Something that doesn't already have the certain "chick" sound?

Daza73

Brack":3iqohqa0 said:
I am currently using Paiste Sig Sound Edge Hats, but I am shopping around for an alternate set of hi hats. As I was sampling all the hats on the Zildjian website, I didn't find too many "heavy" artists that use Ks as their hats. The closest, from what I remember, was the K/Z Special hats used by Tre Cool.

Now I would still like a good all purpose cymbal(maybe something a little dryer), even though the majority of my music is heavy, I really liked the K hats. But I am not sure how they would sound once I would start playing with my band. And please don't suggest the Z Customs, I don't particularly care for those as much as the other lines.

Give me your opinion!
im not a big fan of K's i use to play on a set of hi hats but they feel really
heavy i like my hats sharp light and crisp, but its your opinion after all it is your kit

SeattleDrummer0

Brack":27sc3ebi said:

Give me your opinion!
I use the A/Z combo. A top, Z bottom Zildjian. they're great. i highly reccomend.

thedrizzle81

When it comes to the reference cards that are supplied by any company, the suggested use doesn't neccessiarly mean that product is not meant for a certain style of music. I think your best bet would be maybe like a K/Z setup? If memory serves correctly, this is what Matt Cameron was using with SoundGarden and he got a great wash from his hats. I think the most important thing is you deciding what you want and being happy with what you pick.

OzThrasher

well, as everyone else here as said, it's up to you and the sound you're after. Personally being a huge fan of the K series Hi hats, I would highly (xcuse the pun) recommend them. They have a nice crisp dark sound to them, with the ability to sound sharp when opened.

Personally I play a lot of 'punchy' beats with a double kick, I use my drop clutch with it slightly loose to get just enough air in between to be just in the middle of a classic 'click' and the open er....'whoosh'? you know what I mean, f'd if I know how to write it lol.

I got the idea to use them myself because I loved the hi hat sound from the latest Rammstein album, and that's what he uses. As I said personal choice, but for heavy music, hell yeah I play some pretty heavy stuff and I love em.

Nicko

Reggie Miller

I think K's sound a bit dark anyways, so I think if you're playing heavy music it would work. I play the A custom mastersounds and they sound great live, but I think they come out even better when recorded. Thats something else to keep in mind.

SmellsLikeIan

I've got a set of old 15 inch quick beats. Bottom hat is flat and has 4 holes. They sound incredible, but you probably can't find them anymore.....

Saffron

Ian,

In fact, check out drumworld.com they have them... and I visit that store often to seem them out on the floor alot.

Regardless, I just bought a set of K hats today and I'm absolutely in love with them. I can't wait to get them worn in and really hear them shine. I know a fellow who plays an entire line up of ks for his hardrock band and it seems to go well. I def recommend them.

SuNoAnBuKi

I don't see a problem in using K's for heavier music. I have a pair of 13" K. hi hats and used to own a 16" K crash and have always played metal/rock. If I could afford too I'd probably have a lot more of them in my set up. I was fortunate enough to know someone that didn't need them anymore just hand them to me. Whatever sounds good, sounds good.

phoenix7289

Man, a Paiste person looking into Zildjian!!! BLASPHEMY!!! jk jk
I say A Custom Mastersounds.. I've hit them a bit, they are pretty good sounding! Personally I'd rather stay with some Paiste stuff, like get the Paiste RUDE Soundedge hi hats. 8)

i also was looking around the zildjian website, and if you like something with a K on it, I rather liked the K custom Hybrid Hats (13.25") it is pretty high pitched if thats what you want, but i have found quite a liking for it, even though i don;t have it.
i have a strange feeling they might be on the more expensive side though.

phoenix7289

i also was looking around the zildjian website, and if you like something with a K on it, I rather liked the K custom Hybrid Hats (13.25") it is pretty high pitched if thats what you want, but i have found quite a liking for it, even though i don;t have it.
i have a strange feeling they might be on the more expensive side though.
Over $300.

OzThrasher

Most of you guys must be from the states yeah?

Just curious coz I got my K hats here in Aus for roughly $850 (ok that's Aussie dollars, but still, the conversion makes a hell of a difference) :'(

It's not easy being a drummer in Australia.

I live in Australia, and i know what u mean. I always look on the internet for a cheap buy, and i see a Great pair of Hats for $400, but then i realise its in $US.