Zildjian K Custom 14" Dark Hi-Hats

Palryo

These things are a bit pricey, but i was wondering if any of you guys have these hi-hats, that if they are worth the price. Or just your opinion on sound and such would be nice.

dillinger12

i just got a 22" k custom dark ride and it sounds amazing, so im sure the hats will sound just as good, plus you can go to the zildjian site and they have sound samples of all the cymbals if ur interested in knowing what they sound like

chris_stuff_er

the drummer for one of my bands has the 13" set. i love them. the drummer for one of my other bands uses a 14" Zildjian Mastersound (waved edge) bottom, with a Sabian top (i forget the model) and I don't think they sound nearly as sweet. the zildj/sabian combo just cuts way the fuck thru everything, which helps when in bad PA live situations, and i hat the open hat wash sound of the pair, but the K's fit the other band so well. if you can afford it, do it.

i think the Paiste Dark Energy hats are pretty effin awesome too.

King_trizz

I think you should try them out personally and see what you think man

Cause I have 16" 17" and 18" K Dark Crashes and they sound awesome, but for some reason I'm not completely fond of the 14" hihats

They are good but they aren't the sound I'M after

But yeah... the Crashes were well worth the $1320 I had to pay :D

Gaddabout

Palryo":10cumuz3 said:
These things are a bit pricey, but i was wondering if any of you guys have these hi-hats, that if they are worth the price. Or just your opinion on sound and such would be nice.
I have 13" and they provide a great "chick" sound while maintaining some beef with a stick ride. Nice "splashy" stuff, too.

I lean towards an older Zildjian sound, so the K Custom Darks just sound like real cymbals to me. The glassy stuff sounds ... cheap to my ears. But that's just a preference. The KCD line is very dark, but not so dark that it produces overtones. They're not jazz cymbals, like Bosphorus. The KCD's are the best mixture of old jazz cymbals and modern technology, IMO.

You really have to know what you like in a cymbal sound before dropping the big dime on stuff like that. If you take them home and discover you want something thinner, you'll never get back what you spent on them.

xdoseonex

i would suggest mastersound hi hats wether the a custom, a regular mastersound hats. on your case i'd go for the k custom mastersounds. they sound great. personally i use a set of 13 " a customs mastersounds as my main hats, and a pair of 14" a custom mastersounds on the right side fixed open on an x-hat

scrubs

I also have the 13" K Custom Darks and I think they're great. I haven't played the 14's, though.

quikstang2

I have them. The only problem I've had with them so far is now I think all my other hi-hats sound like total crap compared to these... and I really liked my other ones before.

Get them.

wes_125

I use a 13" K custom dark hat on top (Z Custom on bottom), I love that pair. I'm sure the K pair would be great.

Palryo

thanks alot guys. i think ill have to go test them out in a store to check for sound quality. From what ive heard on the net it sounds like the stuff for me. And since theres a big probablity that i use different sticks from the person in the audio clip it would be best if i got some hands on info

Palryo

thanks anavrin for the link :D. but thats where i first saw the cymbals and heard them lol. i like the sounds comin from that clip. I want some hands on testing of my own before i shell out the big bucks (to me its lots of money) for a pair that may end up sounding like pidgeon doodoo.

drums=life

I own a pair of 14" k custom dark hats and i absolutely love them. what is really great about them is that they, just like the 22" kcd ride, have that great Tony Williams sound embedded in them. But they can be used for multiple applications and thats what i really like about them. But of course try out any kinds of hats that sound good to you, and check out the return policy if you happen to change your mind when you try them in surroundins you usually play in, not just the cymbal room at your local music shop, so you can get your money back