Zildjian Earth Ride

galgano16

anyone have one? If so, what's your opinion/thoughts on it...I'm thinking about getting one, cuz I need a ride with a better, loud bell

drumur

I have a brilliant finish Earth Ride. It's not as dry sounding.
They kick ass...you'll be heard over loud amplification in large venues. The bell is Killer.
I'll never get rid of mine.
It gives what you need when you need it...doesn't get washed out.
They are great for Rock, Pop, Fusion, and any music that calls for a loud ping that cuts through anything and doesn't get washed out. The bell is perfect.
Dennis Chambers uses one.
[/img]

skitch

I had one....good thing I had a different ride as this ride doesn't fit all applications. The Zildjian 21" Rock has a very bright and piercing bell without the clanginess. You had probably better check one out in person.

drumur

If you like a lot of wash, this ride isn't for you.
If you're into metal, get it.
This is a heavy a$$ cymbal.

The stick sound and the bell on this ride are never lost in the mix.
I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

ThePloughman

I had one. Versatile is not in its description. But its got lots of huge sound. It will make your guitarists eyes bleed. I had one of the first ones. Bought it new in 1979. They had not been out too long at that time I think. Sold it 25 years later for what I paid for it originally. Not bad.

skitch

I do believe that Billy Cobham used one of these one his Glass Menagerie Observations album. I would say that if you are a metal drummer, playing in a metal band, then go for it.

disrupt13

have you guys ever picked one up?

they are heavy.

i wouldnt play it for jazz,
but i dont think it would be bad in any rock music at all

skitch

disrupt13":nvauf9nq said:
have you guys ever picked one up?

they are heavy.

i wouldnt play it for jazz,
but i dont think it would be bad in any rock music at all
Actually, Zildjian classifies this Ride as "Extra Heavy". Don't expect a lot of sustain, just lots of Ping.

Nehe555

yeah, i'm currently wondering about purchasing this ride to supplement my jazz setup. if i get this ride and pair it with a washy/sizzle ride, i might have some nice versatility switching from one to the other. thoughts?

drumur

Code:
yeah, i'm currently wondering about purchasing this ride to supplement my jazz setup. if i get this ride and pair it with a washy/sizzle ride, i might have some nice versatility switching from one to the other. thoughts?
yeah...great idea. It's common to do this with a flat-ride too.
But, this ride had a real clear stick sound like a flat ride.
It had a killer bell and it has just enough sustain.
I play very deliberate accent and dynamics on my ride...a ride with sustain and/or wash would not respond. It would all just blend together and build up.

Both of my rides are like this...the Earth Ride and the Zildjian K Custom Dry.