Zildjian dipsticks

Snwbords87

A while after I started drumming my friend showed me to dipsticks and I've been very rarely using them since. I just recently bought a pair and noticed that whenever I play with them I start to form blisters on mostly my thumbs and sometimes my index fingers.

My question is if anyone else has the same problem, or if it just means that I need to work on my grip more.

Thanks for any input.

m

I used to use them exclusively and never blistered. I wore holes thru the stick coating, but never my fingers.
Maybe relax your grip a little?

Shalaq

I'd suggest doing the same as M says. You're probably gripping to tight and with the rough surface that's not a good thing. I tried a similar powdered sticks made by a Polish company Osca 4 Drums and they were OK. They are called the Dusty series and the coating on them is very lightly put on, so it gets worn right when the sticks are chewed up to the point you have to pick another pair :)

i feel you man, the dip on the stick is way to ruff but i dont have a problem with it, i love 'em, my hands are fine. If you play 'em right you should find the dip to be more like padding than a cheese grater. Loosen up your grip and use your fingers more.

Or just solve all of your problems and buy a pair of Hornets, they're expensive but worth it.

spotandgalaxy

I used the dip sticks and got blisters, however i then realised there was some thing wrong with the way i was holding the stick .
yer there allright just get technique of holding them right !
if you dont you get blisters,havnt got since !
L

drummer619

i just think it's a combonation between the Vynil coating and your grip When your hands sweat the friction between your skin and the coating will aid in development of blisters so keep them sticks in one place while you play. :D

Mxpxdude189

I used them for about 1-2 months. I liked them at first, but my thumbs started to wear away and hurt like a mother. I stopeed using them 1) they are more expensive than normal sticks 2) They seemed to break more than pro-mark hickory. I would never use these again, even if I knew how to not get my hands torn apart when playing.

To me, nothing beats the wood feel, but that's just me.

SmellsLikeIan

I bought two pair recently before a gig because Guit. Center was out of Vic Firth 5a's (yes, OUT of one of the most common sticks out there!). I broke one stick out of each pair before the show was half over. I NEVER break sticks. They usually last me several weeks. I reached for one of my pairs of chewed up Vic Firth 5a's and they lasted me thru the rest of the evening. I will never buy Zildjian sticks again. I love their cymbals, but has anyone else ha a problem with their sticks breaking?

Smitdog

I only use Zyldian 5A sticks....
They last forever for me - maybe because I also do rim shots on the snare . and old habit I got from never being miked. When they do break, it's in the middle of the stick. Although I have to say that I haven't had much luck with the nylon tip version, the tips come off pretty quickly.

There was a stick around quite awhile ago called the Nighthawk - with a rubbery kind of handle -they were alright..

kenzisdad02

if youre ever in trouble with the FBI & need to remove the skin on your hands or fingertips use the zildjian DIP sticks - OH MY GOD THEY HURT !

dougthedrummer

I hate the dipsticks for that very reason.I get blisters on my index fingers bad,and my thumbs to.I think it has to do with the stick "feeling soft"and you compensate by gripping harder.I dont know but I dont use them anymore.

ironcobraz

hey, everyone forgot the sacred rule, first things are alway first!
Wash your hands!!!
always helps to keep dirt and grime off your skin, might suggest keeping hand sanitizer in your stick bag.

luiss009

its true theyve ripped my hands apart and now that i use regular wood sticks i havve the usual callouses but no bleeding blisters
they are good sticks though

Alcyon

Can't stand dipped sticks, but I use Vater grip tape, and that doesn't give me blisters at all.

ClintKelly

yea i have a pair of those and the two times i used them i got a HUGE blister on my inner index finger.. i even tried using gloves but i still got a blister. Dips=poop

MRSTICKSTUFF

Snwbords87":12dxrzxk said:
A while after I started drumming my friend showed me to dipsticks and I've been very rarely using them since. I just recently bought a pair and noticed that whenever I play with them I start to form blisters on mostly my thumbs and sometimes my index fingers.

My question is if anyone else has the same problem, or if it just means that I need to work on my grip more.

Thanks for any input.
You might try a different product called, Stick Stuff! This Liquid product registered with the Federal Government 2 weeks before Zildjian Dip Sticks. Stickstuffgrip.com Try it you might like it!

Mike

MRSTICKSTUFF

Snwbords87":oclw0vc6 said:

Thanks for any input.
Anyone try the Stick Stuff Grip?