Zildjian Avedis 17" Medium Thin Crash Cymbal, good?

Ingrid

Im thinking of buying this for about $250-Brand new. But its not in Melbourne, where I am. Im always a bit "iffy" about buying cymbals without hearing them first, but I know and have A's and K's (A hats, and medium thin dark K - for rock). This cymbal will possibly replace my poor old Avedis 18'' crash, thats over 10 years old and looks as if its been attacked by sharks, and sounds extremely old and f**ked, cause it is. Ive smashed it to peices literally, over the years.

Should I take the risk and just buy this 17'' cymbal while I can? Advice? Yes , no? I could probably hunt around music shops for this cymbal and hear it in person maybe. But in this time someone else may grab it.

skitch

I do have this model of crash cymbal and it is quite good. It is my crash between my hi hats and my first rack tom.

Ingrid

Cool, thanx for the imput, I think it may be a little bright sounding for me, but its soooo cheap... and being new, I may be able to swap it in Melbourne, if I personally don't gel with the tones.
- My 16'' dark K goes between my A hats and my first rack tom. The 17'' would be above my 20'' Bosphorus Antique series ride (17'' would be replacing my old 18'' adevis)

MasterShake89

my school has the 16 inch one and i absolutely love it. would buy one in a heartbeat if i had the money. amazing bright sound and everything. if your a really hard hitter, i'll warn you they are a little fragile feeling. but sound amazing.

skitch

Ingrid":1x10a3ce said:
Cool, thanx for the imput, I think it may be a little bright sounding for me, but its soooo cheap... and being new, I may be able to swap it in Melbourne, if I personally don't gel with the tones.
- My 16'' dark K goes between my A hats and my first rack tom. The 17'' would be above my 20'' Bosphorus Antique series ride (17'' would be replacing my old 18'' adevis)

The advantage this size and weight combination offers is that it isn't quite so cliche say as a 16" Thin Crash. I can pick one of those out. The 17" Medium Thin Crash is a little less nondescript and more anonymous. That is what I like about - that and that it records very well!

michiganice91

i just got a 17 inch A custom projection crash (projection = medium thin), and it sounds amazing, idk how different A is from A custom, but yea u should get it

RILY!

I have a 16'' thin avedis crash that i bought for 90 used
and it i really like it
the avedis line is very good
id say go for it if you have the money to spend on it
i plan on buying a 18'' projection crash soon