Zildjian A Custom experts, give me your opinion!

deluxe74

Hello, I've been drumming for about 12 years and have been using A customs for about 5 years, and I've had a 17 in crash and 20 in ride for about 5 years and a 16 in for about 3 years. Recently the 16 in cracked and I don't know which cymbal to get. I love my 17 inch crash , but I want an 18 or 19 crash in that sounds brighter than the 17. So my question is what is the difference between a normal crash, projection crash and fast crash? If anyone can help me out, thanks alot!!

michiganice91

Fast Crash = Paper Thin | Crash = Thin | Projection Crash = Medium Thin

________THIN__________THICKER____________THICKEST

deluxe74

michiganice91":3jfjzw7g said:

Thanks alot, so does that ultimately mean that the Fast crashes will crack more easily?

iatemygoat

deluxe74":2cue559y said:
michiganice91":2cue559y said:

Thanks alot, so does that ultimately mean that the Fast crashes will crack more easily?
in my opinion no. thicker cymbals are more likely to crack.

stump

iatemygoat":s9142hfu said:
deluxe74":s9142hfu said:
michiganice91":s9142hfu said:

Very correct! Your thicker cast cymbals for the most part take a beating but if you are a very heavy hitter be prepared for them to crack sooner. Hard hitters go with thin/med thin cymbals.

drummert2k

i have the 19 inch projection crash and LOVE it! as far as cymbals go, the thickness does have a lot to do with crashing. but also the pitch. remember that no matter what the size of the cymbal, thin cymbals have a lower pitch than thicker ones. so also take that into consideration when looking for your next cymbal.

iatemygoat

drummert2k":3nxv6g9e said:
i have the 19 inch projection crash and LOVE it! as far as cymbals go, the thickness does have a lot to do with crashing. but also the pitch. remember that no matter what the size of the cymbal, thin cymbals have a lower pitch than thicker ones. so also take that into consideration when looking for your next cymbal.
ive often wondered this and how thickness changes with pitch. thanks for the great info as usual!!!

deluxe74

drummert2k":2o8t4tzo said:
Wow, I would have thought the opposite, but thanks alot!

Ingrid

Zildjian Avedis 17" Medium Thin Crash Cymbal, good?
Im thinking of buying this for about $250-Brand new. But its not in Melbourne, where I am. Im always a bit "iffy" about buying cymbals without hearing them first, but I know, and have (and had) A Custom and K's (A hats, and medium thin/thin dark K crashes - for rock). This cymbal will possibly replace my poor old Avedis 18'' crash, thats over 10 years old and looks as if its been attacked by sharks, and sounds extremely old and f**ked, cause it is. Ive smashed it to peices literally, over the years. I know I need to stick to the lower darker tones that come from medium thins/thins + Im a very hard hitter.

Should I take the risk and just buy this 17'' cymbal while I can? Advice? Yes , no? I could probably hunt around music shops for this cymbal and hear it in person maybe. But in this time someone else may grab it.

seneca

I've owned a 17" Projection for 6 years or so before I made the transition to Sabian. I still love the sound of that crash live!

Brother_Bong

stump":2g5ji9zq said:
iatemygoat":2g5ji9zq said:
deluxe74":2g5ji9zq said:
michiganice91":2g5ji9zq said:

Very correct! Your thicker cast cymbals for the most part take a beating but if you are a very heavy hitter be prepared for them to crack sooner. Hard hitters go with thin/med thin cymbals.
Absolutely, my 10 in. splash has survived longer than any other cymbal I have owned, next to my mega-bell, but I don't think a hammed could bust that.