Zil-Bel and Ride

8thnote

Hi im new here, sorry if this has been brought up before but whats the point of having a Zil-Bel when you could just use your ride?

Rockula!

Unless you have one of those big ass mega bell rides, you're not going to get the same tone
Plus, a Zil-Bell, Ice-Bell etc... is going to have no spread and will be just the bell sound (which goes on FOREVER)

Therefore, most people use it as an accent rather than a "ride" bell
It can be used to beef up a cheap ride though

Johnny Cat

Also, a Zil-bel and the like sound more like, well, a bell. They aren't nearly as clangy sounding as a cymbal bell. There's much more of a distinquished pitch.

i dont ride the Zil-Bel, i use it mostly as a Effect Cymbal when i do tom rolls and fills. My Zil-Bel is going to be right on top of my ride. I replace the ride bell with the Zil-Bel to get more a louder bell sound.

Ludwig Drums
Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals
DW 7002 Double Pedal
Gibraltar and Pacific Hardware
Vic Firth and Vater Sticks
Latin Percussion Cowbell

writheindecay

theyre cool for nice accents, it opens up a whole new world when you set it up on the left side of your kit. i use 2 rides(one on each side of the kit) and a bell.

phil-drummer

i suppose you could use it for accent or lob it on top of a flat ride , that might defeat the point of it being flat , but its always an option

phoenix7289

I am considering making a spot near the left corner of my set into a little splash/bell/mini-china spot. :wink:

NT

i have mine right in the middle.. i love those bells.. deafening sound they make.. lol

PDP9000

The zil-bell makes a better sound then just a ride cymbal bell but u can also get the ride cymbals that have the huge ass bell.

Rockaflodge

Got to love the Z BEL ! I have a 6 inch Z bel and love it to death, I dont ride on it but when I nit a bright sound to cut....I use the Z BEL!

phoenix7289

PDP9000":tc6yuhio said:
The zil-bell makes a better sound then just a ride cymbal bell but u can also get the ride cymbals that have the huge ass bell.
Yah seriously! Even a Sabian B8 20" Ride has a really nice bell!!!

phil-drummer

the Z custom 21" mega bell ride has a bad ass bell , its probly big enuf to shove a zil bell on top of it n have 2 bells on one ride , but thats just an idea

phoenix7289

phil-drummer":2wudj5wo said:
the Z custom 21" mega bell ride has a bad ass bell , its probly big enuf to shove a zil bell on top of it n have 2 bells on one ride , but thats just an idea
Niiiiice

Alexander

I have the 6" Zil-Bel also.

Do you guys play it right-side up or is it upside down? Mine is upside down (see myspace pix) because I stacked it on my 14" China. But I remember having more sound options when it was right side up. I could ride it by hitting the top & get a very dynamic, even lite sound out of it. Upside down ONLY allows you to hit the edge & that endlessly long & loud ring! :(

MrChops

Yeah dude, I use mine upside down on top of my ride, I know a lot of people that use it both ways, but I realy only use it for little fills and stuff, so I really like it to be a really loud cutting DING.

PDP9000

if you have a ride cymbal with a fat bell on it you wouldnt have to get one but if u have a normal size bell you could probley consider getting one but the zil-bell is mostley a effect cymbal