Zil-bel and Ice bell

sicdrummer

I want one Badly to put it on my ride upsidedown like a cereal bowl but is the Ice bell right for this I want that ping defined in the recordings Im in a girndcore hard core metal thing like The devil wears prada and uh Dr. acula yeah weird but I was wondering Im in a low budget and I really need the help thank you.Also I have zhts and looking for more durabul cymbals So aax good if not tell me I wanted to mix cymbals get master sound 14" a custom and just mix around get a cheap ride to trash on cayuse Ill be using the ice bell or zill bell more thanks you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PDP9000

I havent played on the ice bell before but i always ues for my band and its only 75$ at the guitar center

sicdrummer

PDP9000":24dilgzt said:
I havent played on the ice bell before but i always ues for my band and its only 75$ at the guitar center
Yeah its I want to know how different does it sound from the zil-bell Im poor =/

xdoseonex

the zil bel give you a loud clear bell that rings out forever. the ice bell is more like a ride bell in that it has overtones and doesnt sustain for as long. to hear a really good quality recording with the zil bell in it go to my bands page at www.myspace.com/ashellbrokeloose and listen to cold blooded whore. that bell that brings the verse in is my zil bell

sicdrummer

xdoseonex":3l1nnckf said:
the zil bel give you a loud clear bell that rings out forever. the ice bell is more like a ride bell in that it has overtones and doesnt sustain for as long. to hear a really good quality recording with the zil bell in it go to my bands page at www.myspace.com/ashellbrokeloose and listen to cold blooded whore. that bell that brings the verse in is my zil bell
Thanks How much more is the 6" I have like 80 on me and im too young for a job so I got to save up I guess well thanks ma and the bast are pretty clear XD

xdoseonex

theres a 6" and a 9"
the 6" is $80
and the 9 is $105
I have the 6" I dont like the sound of the 9" anywhere near as much

phoenix7289

And the 6" Ice Bell (which I have) sounds EXACTLY the same pretty much... and is only $45!!! :O Yah... seriously. You gotta be kidding me if you'll pay that much more for the same thing! It's only because Zildjian is more well known!!! The LP is JUST as high quality, and sounds practically the exact same! I don't ride on it because my ride is fine, but I can and it sounds AMAZING.

Brother_Bong

Which ever one you decide to get, I would recommend not putting it on top of your ride. Mount it independently. I use to put my Zil-Bel on top of my mega-bell ride, but then I missed being able to play the bell of my ride. (wow, how many times can i use the words bell and ride?) I'm just saying don't block all possible playing surfaces.

sicdrummer

Bong":3eve8f82 said:
Which ever one you decide to get, I would recommend not putting it on top of your ride. Mount it independently. I use to put my Zil-Bel on top of my mega-bell ride, but then I missed being able to play the bell of my ride. (wow, how many times can i use the words bell and ride?) I'm just saying don't block all possible playing surfaces.
Thanks and lmao at bell and ride well until I get a clamp I have to im freaking poor

phoenix7289

Bong":1eutkhb6 said:
I back this up.

Call me Gideon

I've already got the 6" Zil-bel (mounted upside down on my ride but I never really used my bell much anyways) but I was looking for an LP Ice Bell, for my second kit. I've been looking online and just can't find them. I've tried Dale's, Americanmusical.com, Musiciansfriend and GC and have found nothing. I even hit up ebay and couldnt find it. (Found the Sabian Ice bell for the same price as a Zil-bel) Where can you get these things?

phoenix7289

Call me Gideon":1j6kcfq9 said:
I've already got the 6" Zil-bel (mounted upside down on my ride but I never really used my bell much anyways) but I was looking for an LP Ice Bell, for my second kit. I've been looking online and just can't find them. I've tried Dale's, Americanmusical.com, Musiciansfriend and GC and have found nothing. I even hit up ebay and couldnt find it. (Found the Sabian Ice bell for the same price as a Zil-bel) Where can you get these things?
I think very recently LP stopped making the Ice Bells.

phoenix7289":2kyq1pp6 said:
And the 6" Ice Bell (which I have) sounds EXACTLY the same pretty much... and is only $45!!! :O Yah... seriously. You gotta be kidding me if you'll pay that much more for the same thing! It's only because Zildjian is more well known!!! The LP is JUST as high quality, and sounds practically the exact same! I don't ride on it because my ride is fine, but I can and it sounds AMAZING.
actually, that's not true at all.

the LP ice bells are made of a much much much weaker material and dent incredibly easy. i made the mistake of playing the large bell right sight up and within three or four hits it was starting to dent. i returned it, got another one and it did the same thing. exchanged them for the zildjians and never had a problem.

the small LP one is the same way. dents. dents. dents.

i don't play zil-bels or ice bells anymore, but if i did, i'd stay far away from the LP ones.

sicdrummer

Thanks for all the help so I got $90 and Im going for the zil XD cant wait but for the icebell on the guitar center website I think I saw one didnt check it out though Um if you haveanything else you can help me with like cymbals or stuff I would apreciate it I have zhts casuse yeah im poor but I dont use my bell just my ride when I blast but its not used much

Joezeppi

xdoseonex that's some sick drumming you've got there, very good chops.
I personally use the zil, I put it independently on side of my hi hat. I don't use it all the time only in certain select spots when I want a distinct higher than high pitch ring.

JAdrums2k

I've used bells for years now. The Zildjian bells are really loud and do ring for a long time. I have the 6 & 9 inch and I use small strips of duct tape to muffle them. Old time Ice Bells have a coating on the underside that dampens the ring and gives it more of a ping sound. Unless you find a good deal on an old Ice Bell, I'd go with the Zildjians but start with the small size, the 9 inch sounds like a ship bell.... which can be cool.

Tip.... if you mount the bell on the ride, mount it with an Aquarian Spring Mount. It's only $14, and you can still reach the cymbal bell, and it saves the from dents.

Good luck

MrMcFetus

I tried out a Zil-bel at GC once and didn't like it at all... You see, when I'm playing funk, I like playing eights on the ride, but making the up-beat on the bell. And I couldn't do that with the Zil. And even when I'm just playing straight quarters on the bell, it rings way to much for my taste. I prefer just to ride the bell =]
Plus, it takes more skill to make that sound constant.
Pansys :lol:
Kidding!

RILY!

Bong":2ivyzgnv said:

if you dont want to put it on top of your ride and you dont have what you need to mount it indepently
see if it works on top of your hihats
i personally dont have a bell, so im not sure how well itd work
but i just saw the devil wears prada live last week and theyre drummer has his on the hihats

BLS2112

Call me Gideon":3olxu0kk said:
They're out there...
http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase ... bells.html