• I love Z Customs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate Z Customs

• I hate all Zildjian's

• Total voters

Rockaflodge

I noticed that when it comes to Zildjian Z Customs, Its a love, hate thing! Drummers love them, or hate them. IMO, they are the best cymbals for heavy rock/metal music. Yes they are very thick and Yes they are very loud but in heavy music you need something to cut though all the blazing guitars and the thunder we call bass. NOW if you are play pop rock or softer music I can see why you would not like them but I dont see how some drummer's think they are just bad cymbals. They may not fit you music but that dont make them a bad cymbal. I dont know and correct me if I am wrong but the only other cymbal company that makes a cymbal like the Z Custom is paiste and there Rude cymbals and from what I hear, everybody raves about the Rude cymbals. What is the diffence? Both are heavy, thick and loud cymbals. Help me out here!

anavrinIV

ive never played rudes but i definately hate the z customs. i play loud music and i dont feel that they fit it at all, at least for me. if i hit a z custom with the same strenth that i hit my aaxplosion i get a horrible gongy boing sound that disgusts me. i like cymbals that open up at least decently quickly and z customs are the exact opposite. i dont want to feel like i have to thrash my cymbals just to get them to sound like theyre supposed to. loud music doent require the drummer to smash everything to bits (even though some people here try to make you believe otherwise) and i have a group of medim-thin cymbals that are louder and project more than a lot of thicker cymbals ive played of the same diameter. i wont say that z customs are bad cymbals but ill never find a place for one on my set on my own bill.

NT

Rockaflodge":2634abo7 said:
everybody raves about the Rude cymbals. What is the diffence? Both are heavy, thick and loud cymbals. Help me out here!
well first off.. just cuz a cymbal is thick, heavy and loud doesn't mean that two cymbals are gonna be the same.. even same company, same exact cymbal. different companies, different sounds..

as for the subject.. i used to HATE zildjian.. the first cymbal pack i got was that ZBT bullshit.. even though i still use the ZBT ride.. cuz i'm broke and it sounds ok..

i like paiste.. but too expensive.. after i got my signature sound edges.. i couldn't afford any more paiste.. so i bought sabians.. AAXplosions, a bunch of "heavier" cymbals from sabian.. as much as i liked the sound.. they broke ALL THE TIME..

so ebay i went.. all i could find in excess were Z customs.. so i bought one.. and it sounded great.. and they DONT FUCKING BREAK!! <~~ best part IMO

and they're a good price.. rudes are too hard to find and tooooo expensive.. otherwise i'd use those..

Rockula!

AnnakinIV has touched upon a valid point and that is the word "medium"
The only Z customs I have liked were the 20" medium crashes
When you start building cymbals to withstand heavy pounding, you sacrifice musicality
Besides, the thicker the cymbal, the less flexible it is and that affects the durability
I had a 20" A Zildjian thin crash last me an entire year

MrChops

Hmmm, Anyone notice that when you break or crack them, they do so in the weirdest ways? I've never had a cymbal crack the way my 18 inch rock crash broke the other day, the crack is in the middle rather than on the edge, now it sounds like there is a rivet in it. Weird... I'm thinking of replacing with the Z custom Medium or an AAX I'll decide after testdriving for a while.

phoenix7289

MrChops":5tzyinh6 said:
Hmmm, Anyone notice that when you break or crack them, they do so in the weirdest ways? I've never had a cymbal crack the way my 18 inch rock crash broke the other day, the crack is in the middle rather than on the edge, now it sounds like there is a rivet in it. Weird... I'm thinking of replacing with the Z custom Medium or an AAX I'll decide after testdriving for a while.
That is strange! Post a pic!!!

Benhamin

z's are alright
but there are better options
i love the rude series
the china specifically
i have a aax and it shimmers with sound
im a heavy hitter and its always a search
between durability and sound
thats why i like a custom projections

Rockaflodge

MrChops said:

Yeah when my Z's cracked, they cracked in the middle. it is a bit odd.

Piddywiffle

NT":2o47f5do said:
as for the subject.. i used to HATE zildjian.. the first cymbal pack i got was that ZBT bullshit.. even though i still use the ZBT ride.. cuz i'm broke and it sounds ok..

Haha, I gotta ZBT 18 china.. Sounds like a garbage can lid, but it was a cheap as hell china. And well lets face it. It was my first china and I wanted to get some experience with one before I went the $200-300 route to a really good china. So I suppose it depends on your situation :shock:

Wait, what was this thread about? :shock: :lol:

screamBRYAN

haha, i was listening to alot of sounds samples on zildjian's website and to me, every single china sounded like trash can lids, it was dissapointing... i dont see why people love zildjian so much, meinl blows them away.

OzThrasher

Well being a very hard hitter myself I love my Z's, xcept I use the K's for my hi-hats, no particular reason, I just prefer their sound on the hats :)

Z's are the only one's I've used that I haven't cracked yet....(touch wood)

Brack

The Zildjian Z Customs are my least favorite cymbal out of all the lines out there. In my opinion they are just too damn thick and loud. I play heavy music and I still don't care for them. It is true what you hear man, if you want something for heavy music, go with the RUDE series. Stay away from the Z customs. The RUDE Hats are AMAZING!

Alcyon

anavrinIV hit the nail on the head for me... Anything heavier than Sabian's AA Medium line is really... clangy. Too much like a gong.

drummernick

well z customs are very heavy but i am currently using there 19 inch rock crash as a ride cymbal and it sound good so yea if you are doing alot of heavy riding on it its good but if just for a crash i wudnt get one

Empyrean Drums

Z Customs work fine for me, but I always want more voices on my kit then one cymbal. The only cymbals I would call junk are the stamped sheet metal entry-level trash can lids that every brand makes