Z custom cymbals

quikstang2

tnkace":wav2cnxx said:
there's a reason the cymbals break easier....the heavier the cymbal the stiffer it is...so it doesn't have much give or flex...it breaks....a somewhat thinner cymbal has more flex and won't break as easy
I was just about to say this. Every Z custom I've seen is cracked.

I like the way the Z customs sound but you have to hit them hard to get that sound and they have zero dynamic capabilities... unless they really cracked, then some of them get quieter.

If you really want one of these I'd say just get one and add that to what you currently play so you can really see the difference between these and "normal" cymbals.

Xander

Tank":14wcgmtz said:
i own a 20" Z custom projection crash. it is loud and i have not cracked it yet (knock on wood). they are very heavy cymbals, you have to really pound on it to get a crash sound out of it. i use mine as a crash /ride. they aren't any good for dynamics.
yeah, if you're looking for good dynamics look into the A or K custom cymbals. there are many good sabians out there too (for good dynamics and technical cymbal use)
x

jeffrot

Z Customs are the best for large venues and outdoor play they will take a serios BEATING. If played correctly. If you are breaking them regularly you should take a look at your set up. Cymbal angle, angle of attack ect. You should be hitting them with the stick almost parralel to the cymbal itself. You need to adjust the tension of your retainers and felts to get the swing that closest matches your swing and tempo so you are not hitting them straight on the edge. That is wher and how most cymbals break. The Z Customs are a lot more rigid. Their weakness is that they don't sound very musical at low volumes they have to be HIT to sound good. You will be happier with A Customs for smaller venues. Even A customs can be ABUSED if stuck properly. They are thinner and more flexible but less forgiving if mis hit.

jeffro

Drummersefton

A customs r the most versitile out of the Z, K and A this is why there proberly most, i use a Z custom ride and its loud unless u really want it to be! but is does ring on for agers! really nice cymbals!

flamdrag99

Z customs are loud for a reason! and that reason is because they were designed for loud music that is why they are so thick. it is to take a beating and still be in on peice so to speak. different cyms have different purposes. Z Customs are for more heavy music where you have a lot of heavy hitting. i use A customs cause i play a lot of different music so i want somthing that i can use for my drum set and i can also use for orchestral/concert work.

iatemygoat

would u guys suggest moving from Z customs to A customs in a genre of deathmetal/grindcore/hardcore?

ive played z customs for over 4 years and have lost count of how many ive broken. do u think the A customs will last longer but still sound good with the music im playing?

xdoseonex

theyre too thick. they sound ok for just heavy music. but theyre not versitale ande not dy\namic. all in all, not good cymbals unless you play strictly on style of music. going with the k or a customs will enable you to play in a wide dynamic range without changiong your cymbals. i have 1 !8" z custom crash left on my set and im tryion to get it off there for an a custom asap

Reaper33X

I had a 16" Z Custom rock crash and I ditched it after a week because it drowned out the rest of my kit. I found myself purposely avoiding it and using my other crash, which sometimes screwed up my playing.

I exchanged it for a 16" A Custom crash, and couldn't be happier.
I'm looking to get a 17" A custom crash to replace my other crash, and a 20" A custom crash to use as a crash ride.

ashby

iatemygoat":2tjjm292 said:
would u guys suggest moving from Z customs to A customs in a genre of deathmetal/grindcore/hardcore?

ive played z customs for over 4 years and have lost count of how many ive broken. do u think the A customs will last longer but still sound good with the music im playing?
i made the switch whilst doing similar music and A customs worked a lot better for me. that being said, it's all about meinl mb20s if you want a cymbal similar to z custom but 100 times better and more durable.

OzThrasher

Just picked up my 22" Z custom Power ride yesterday. The second I hit it in the store I knew it was the ride for me.

14" K series Hi hats
12" Z custom Splash
17" Z Custom Rock Crash
18" Z Custom Medium Crash
18" Z Custom China
and now
22" Z Custom Power Ride

They're not everyone's cup of tea. And just for the record, I'm not a poser who just likes to have the same stuff. I've tried lots of cymbals before buying. Just for some reason my ears always go for the Z's :)

goatatl

For the type of player I am (basher) the Z Customs are perfect! I use them almost exclusively. The projection crashes though, are a little heavy, even for me.

JackDrums

I get the impression that the 21" Z custom Mega Bell Ride is'nt like for some reason?

I think its a good cymbal, it is to an extent quite versatile..you could play rock/metal/hardcore quite easily, but its not a ride that crashes easily or has a nice crash sound. but yet it is still a excellent cymbal, and I dont see that thing breaking anytime soon, ist like a cm thick! and its like a ton! lol

Why are people not so keen on this ride?

anavrinIV

JackDrums":1uvmhl67 said:
I get the impression that the 21" Z custom Mega Bell Ride is'nt like for some reason?

I think its a good cymbal, it is to an extent quite versatile..you could play rock/metal/hardcore quite easily, but its not a ride that crashes easily or has a nice crash sound. but yet it is still a excellent cymbal, and I dont see that thing breaking anytime soon, ist like a cm thick! and its like a ton! lol

Why are people not so keen on this ride?
line up a z custom mega bell ride and an hh power bell ride...both have huge bells, a very defined ping with little wash, and dont crash in the least. the difference is that the hh has a much better tone to it and is fuller. the z custom has the sound of an empty shell, its just a ping with no substance or body to it.

xdoseonex

if you wana get z customs dont plan on being dymnamic or versatile. theyre only good for one thing, hitting hard and being loud. and i suggest any drummer reguardless of style work on dynamics. be able to do cymbal swells. i dont think you should have cymbals on your kit that sound bad when you hit them soft. in my oppinion these cymbals are useless for any genre. there are other cymbals out there that will cut through the mix, and you can accualy use them to play stuff that isnt heavy

JackDrums

I do agree, but I have a Mega Bell Ride and it seems to fit in perfectly with most things I play...
I mean I like to play metal, I love my Pantera and my Meshuggah etc etc...but I like also to play funky/hip hop stuff aswell, and this cymbal does not seem drastically out of place with my other cymbals, and these vary from A customs, A's and Sabian AAX's

I beleive that this ride is not the best one out there but it is still a good ride and it does what its suppose to and thats ride and it is called a mega bell ride for a reason and it has got a mega bell!

goatatl

iatemygoat":1at5pwxk said:

I would agree that A customs are more versatile, but in my experience, not as durable.