Z custom cymbals

SaulEdbeats

I use Z Custom cymbals when I want pingy or crisp sounds like the 20" Ride and the 14" MasterSound Hi Hats. For everything else I use A Custom crashes and splashes. As far as cracking... I haven't had any problems with the Z Customs, these are the heaviest cymbals I own and probably the most durable. Also, most places have a 30 day exchange policy for cymbals so don't be afraid of buying a cymbal and trying it out. I've exchanged cymbals several times before finding that right sound.

pooJken

Rockaflodge":37zwzlof said:
I just want to know if I am the only one That breaks A customs and my Z custom last a year and a half to two years, everybody eles seems to break the Z custom and never break the A customs. My last set of A customs (16,18,19,20 crashs) I broke them in like 6 months. So I was just wondering if I was the only one who breaks A customs but my Z custom last.
breaking cymbals can be caused by a lot of influenced
hitting to hard, wron mounting, mount the cymbal to tight
of you mount any cymbal wrong and to tight you break it

you can also play with the wrong sticks,
with AHEAD sticks you break cymbals easier, here in holland the warranty of cymbal is gone of you play with AHEAD sticks

so it can be caused by many things

I broke my 18" Crashes because the bottom of the cymbal holder smashed against the border of the cup (it were Aveids cymbals)

cheers

anavrinIV

i played a bunch of z custom crashes and every one i played, even if i smashed it, sounded horrible imo. they all sounded gongy and were nothing but loud. for more versatile zildjians pick up the a customs as they have a better range and dont have to be pounded to get a good sound.

Rockaflodge

pooJken said:
Rockaflodge said:
I just want to know if I am the only one That breaks A customs and my Z custom last a year and a half to two years, everybody eles seems to break the Z custom and never break the A customs. My last set of A customs (16,18,19,20 crashs) I broke them in like 6 months. So I was just wondering if I was the only one who breaks A customs but my Z custom last.
breaking cymbals can be caused by a lot of influenced
hitting to hard, wron mounting, mount the cymbal to tight
of you mount any cymbal wrong and to tight you break it

you can also play with the wrong sticks,
with AHEAD sticks you break cymbals easier, here in holland the warranty of cymbal is gone of you play with AHEAD sticks

so it can be caused by many things

I broke my 18" Crashes because the bottom of the cymbal holder smashed against the border of the cup (it were Aveids cymbals)

cheers

No, what I ment was. my Z customs last up to two years, I am happy with that, they last longer than any other cymbal I have had. but everybody eles talks about A customs lasting longer than Z customs and I just cant see it! I broke a whole set of A custom crashs in 6 months( Thank God for the warranty) and I got all Z customs and they lasted two years befor they broke, so I dont understand how you cand break a Z custom faster than you can break a A custom!

dammow

Rockaflodge":2ahmwi16 said:

ive broken a few A CUSTOM cymbals- i found they break real easy and now just use the traditional A zildjian and i think there alot better, never tried any Z CUSTOMS but would like to. TAYLOR HAWKINS used to use them and i thought they always sounded good with him. i guess everybody plays slightly different so its really personal taste!

pooJken

Rockaflod":pzikt8yg said:
No, what I ment was. my Z customs last up to two years, I am happy with that, they last longer than any other cymbal I have had. but everybody eles talks about A customs lasting longer than Z customs and I just cant see it! I broke a whole set of A custom crashs in 6 months( Thank God for the warranty) and I got all Z customs and they lasted two years befor they broke, so I dont understand how you cand break a Z custom faster than you can break a A custom!
I understand, and I said that it has to do how you mount the cymbals

pooJken

Rockaflodge":36olopg0 said:
But if it was the way I mounted them, how come the Z customs last, I mounted them the same way as the A customs.
i'm talking in general, not only your case

PDP9000

I own a z-custom thrash ride and it is very powerful and loud but the A customs cost more beacuse it cost a lot to make them

andybfrank

I like the way Z's sound, but they do tend to be loud. Someone borrowed one of my Z crashes and cracked it, but I never cracked one personally. I switched to A Customs because the sound and volume seemed to be more appropriate for playing in garages, and other small locations, as well as recording. I tried recording with Z Custom crashes and had a lot of problems with clipping.

AK-Drummer

iv heard em and like em but idk how its ginna go with getting some for my church....maybe to loud...not that its ginna STOP me =D but ya im gettin like....3 soon i hope

MasterShake89

I personally dont much care for z customs. Just something about them. they seem brittle too. but ive never broken a cymbal. If you were going with zildjian, id say A customs or A series. I started transitioning my cymbals to A's, just need two crashes and i'll enjoy my cymbal setup.

dob?

dammow":1ua3tiyy said:
i guess everybody plays slightly different so its really personal taste!
you said it all... no one plays exactly the same, therefor different cymbals are gonna last longer, and may even sound a little different among different players. just take your set of sticks you use most into the drum shop and see what sounds good to your ear.

RowanVS

Fact: hard hitting drummers tend to go for Z customs, they crack easily because they get hit hard.

I've played A custom projections, Ks etc and the Zs definitely last a lot longer.

Fact: Z customs will last longer than A customs, they are build more solidly.

I play Z custom medium rock crashes, it's a nice balance of sound/projection/dynamics/durability. Of course it's just down to personal prefferance at the end of the day. If your a hard hitting metal drummer, Z customs are great, if your a fast light hitting death metal drummer or jazz player they probably arnet for you, if you wanna stay with Zildjian look to the Ks or A customs.

I've also got some Z custom hi hats which sound great. Once again I need something quite loud to keep up with my loud snare. Thank god for pro plugs hey?!

Bluestonered

I had a 17" & 18" Z custom crashes and they are great for cutting through loud rock music in a live situation. A bit too loud in the rehearsal room with a slow decay due to their wieght. I thought these would handle a real bashing but both cracked just outside the warranty period! Definately rock crashes. So if you have an A grade endorsement and can just renew them when you want...fine... but otherwise shop around. I now have a 17" A custom medium crash and a 17" K-custom dark crash. These have already outlasted my Z's but i actually had a dream last night that there was a big split along the groove of my K custom crash... in my dream i was mortified...as soon as I woke today i went into the garage and had a look just to make sure I was only dreaming!

wak

i myself have / had a set of z customs

as others have said, they crack very easily, they are indeed very loud, maybe too loud for rehearsals and small live shows
but damn the hats are good (however i did mess up when i got my ride, i got a 22 power ride, and i so wish i got the 20 or 22 mega bell, i was young, i just saw the size of it and had to have it, idiot!)

the smaller of the range however semm very strong, and dont crack anywhere near as fast as the 19" rock crash of mine did, unlike others though, mine cracked from the edge inwards, from 2 places, and is now sounding more like a large nasty chuck of metal everyday, but my 16 which split at the midpoint (between bell and rim) and still sounds ok, to say its been split for 3 years or more now (its lasted longer, whilst cracked, than my 19" did in its entirity)

if you are a soft hitter, Z's maybe a very good cymbal for you, as the power wont be too over the top, but if you hit hard, i would probably suggest K customs (i have never used A customs, im too poor)

i would also like to add that i have never had a cymbal with as short a lifespan as the paiste rude which i had for 6 months, i hit pretty hard (not as bad nowadays, but a few years ago all i did was hit hard, pretty much before i learned how to play with a modicum of talent)
so for the hard hitters out there, get thin flexible cymbals (not cheap ones, they sound shit) through my experience, no matter what anybody tells you, thin & flexy is good for us ive always had chunky rigid cymbals, and im lucky to make them last over a year

infiznitch

disrupt13":2px46tdg said:
z custom are know to crack easily, they are good but they crack easily, a customs are just awesosem ,but check out the K's too.
wow, that's strange, because i was always under the impression that z customs were designed for durability... strange.

Yea A customs are more expensive though because they have a better sound. the z customs have that raw/unrefined sound to them, and a customs just sound more musical... loud as shit though.

X Day-mow X

AK-Drummer":237zo3w6 said:
iv heard em and like em but idk how its ginna go with getting some for my church....maybe to loud...not that its ginna STOP me =D but ya im gettin like....3 soon i hope
playing in church i'd go somthing like a K. coz their darker they aren't quite as loud. i have sabian AAX's and they are way 2 bright for the stuff 2 do @ church.