Z custom cymbals

Mcrp

are these really loud ???
Are they the best or ...

im also wondering why A customs are the most money...

Vetis

To answer your question on A customs:

They cost so much due to the manufacturing process, and because they are a desireable cymbal. I personally prefer the A custom sound over the Z custom any day, but there are some good Z Customs out there.

In fact, I really like the Z Custom 14" rock hi-hats. Very nit-gritty. It's like listening to a Pantera album.

woody476

Z Customs are very loud. My brother once had a 19 projection crash and cracked it, I used it as a practice ride and it still had immense volume for being cracked in several spots around the bell

The only thing I don't like about them is that they seem to crack very easily and around the bell usually. Otherwise, a very good cymbal in my opinion

disrupt13

z custom are know to crack easily, they are good but they crack easily, a customs are just awesosem ,but check out the K's too.

Animal

disrupt13":2fvedzxa said:
z custom are know to crack easily, they are good but they crack easily, a customs are just awesosem ,but check out the K's too.
*What-he-said* 8)

Tank

i own a 20" Z custom projection crash. it is loud and i have not cracked it yet (knock on wood). they are very heavy cymbals, you have to really pound on it to get a crash sound out of it. i use mine as a crash /ride. they aren't any good for dynamics.

drum_bum

iv got 3 z customs.
20" Z rock ride
18"Z rock crash
16"Z rock crash

been playin 'em for year and a half and i can tell you there as loud as you like.i personally play hard,not fast and havnt split yet.

personally i find the ride doesnt have real defining ping but still sounds awsome.the crashes are just plain loud,but the 16" tends to 'lose' sound if you you play it continuously..

anyway,thats my 'analysis' on the Z's.love 'em.only other ones id really use would be paiste or try the istanbuls..

disrupt13

"heavier" or thicker cymbals tned to crack easier, for god knows what reason perhaps because you tend to work them harder, while thinner cymbals have less resistance or flex........

Tank

disrupt13":2zcu0d5d said:
"heavier" or thicker cymbals tned to crack easier, for god knows what reason perhaps because you tend to work them harder, while thinner cymbals have less resistance or flex........
maybe but i just replaced my 18" a custom projection crash that i had for 10 months due to a large piece missing and about 6 cracks. i had a 20" a custom ping ride that i used as a crash/ride for 10 years before it cracked and replaced with a 20" z custom projection crash.

tnkace

there's a reason the cymbals break easier....the heavier the cymbal the stiffer it is...so it doesn't have much give or flex...it breaks....a somewhat thinner cymbal has more flex and won't break as easy

ilike2rock

z's are a low end cast cymbol thats why theyre cheaper than A's
acustically theyre not the most pleaseing things but live nothing cuts threw the mix better.

stump

I have been playing Z customs for along time and have not had a problem. I am a heavy hitter and have no complaints. One thing that I would recommend is that you look at the type of sticks that you are using. Think about it this way...would you rather replace a $200 cymbal or a $4 stick? Think about it! Use a stick that is compatible with the set / cymbals that you are playing. I bet that you will see a difference. These cymbals are cutting. They don't take alot of pounding to get the point across. Later.

masonvonritchie

I have a 17" medium crash, and i've had it for a couple years. I beat the hell out of that thing. I play in a grindcore band, and that cymbal has never failed me. It's loud, bright, and hasn't cracked yet. I love it.

yes they crack like bitch,I'm on my 2nd broken 1 going on my 3rd because its under warrenty and its been less then a year,but i have ZERO probs with my mega bell ride i love it its the sound i was looking for for along time tell you what when you buy cymabls D.I.R.T.F.T.,but i also know everyone has there preffrence on cymabls :shock:

Rockaflodge

The Z customs saved my life, I will say I perfer the sound of the A custom but i will break them with in 6 month and with the Zs i can get two years.

markt36264

I have played all the Zildjians and here is what I have found.

I started with A's. The sound is very traditional and acceptable. They break pretty easy over time but tend to hold up better than K's.

Next I tried K's. I love the sound but I have broke every one I owned. Not worth the extra dough when you have to replace them so often.

Next I bought A Customs. None of them have cracked. They give and flex a little more and they sound good but too light for some applications. I only used the older standard weight, not the newer projection series. I have found it is easy to over-play them, not enough headroom. If you are not a heavy hitter, these might be a good choice.

Lastly, I got a set of Z Customs. These are the most durable. No cracks in five years. You have to hit them pretty hard to get a full crash but they're not as loud in the mix as most people think. The most important thing I can say about these, is that I actually started getting compliments from drummers as to how good they sounded. With all the other lines, they sounded good but no one ever came up and was like "WOW, What kind of cymbals are you using? They sound killer! ...etc."

pooJken

I used to have Avedis crashes (17" and 18") but i broke the 18"
so i bought Z Custom crashes...

but now i want to go back to the Avedis ones... I loved them

The Z Customs are way to loud and way to heavy

though I use a customized set of A Custom / Z Custom combination HiHats (i have the bottom a custum on top of a Z custom dyno beat hihat) and they sound pretty cool.

Further I own a Z Custom 10" splash cymbal, wich is nice too

frankiedrum

i've used nothing but Zildjian cymbals in my 15yrs + of playing out and about...my opinion and experience on Z customs is: they are very good cymbals..they're loud, the attack is impeccable and they cut through the sound of when youre out playing...but due to the fact that its a single cast mold when Zildjian is making the Z custom...i consider them like panty hose, once you get that little crack running *and they don't normally crack along the rings or at the edge like most Zildjian cymbals do*...its just a chain reaction of more cracks to come and they tend to deteriorate more quickly the more or harder you hit...now...the A custom cymbals, a pretty penny more but well worth it b/c of the numerous models and sizes...yet the sound is not so protrussive like a Z, yet they are clean, crisp and warmer in sound the bigger the cymbal gets. you can even go BIG as far as 20'' and get the sound you want without having to "BALLS OUT"...* i tend to favor the PROJECTION model in the A CUSTOM* MOST IMPORTANTLY: its ALL about cymbal placement and how you attack your cymbals....so to me...the A custom is the better route!! *DID I GO OFF ON A TANGENT!!! ???*

Rockaflodge

I just want to know if I am the only one That breaks A customs and my Z custom last a year and a half to two years, everybody eles seems to break the Z custom and never break the A customs. My last set of A customs (16,18,19,20 crashs) I broke them in like 6 months. So I was just wondering if I was the only one who breaks A customs but my Z custom last.