Your Take on the Vex Dbl Pedal, Good or Bad?

ddrumbum

Hello All,

Well I am seriously considering buying a Vex Pro Touring Double Pedal, I have read alot of reviews, and did the comparison in the Drum Magazine Pedal Guide, and it looks to be a very good pedal.<p>

So My question is anybody out here own one? Seen one? Played one? Heard anything about this pedal? I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.<p>

Check me out www.myspace.com/ddrumbum

DaveDWdrums

Hey,

I've owned the vex pro touring double pedal now for about 6-7 months & it absolutely is an amazing buy! I originally purchased it as a secondary double bass pedal for my other kit but, now my dw 5002 Accelerator has taken that place. I've been playing drums for 21 years now & I only use what works best. The pro touring is just as adjustable and heavy duty (mabe a little more) as my DW except the Vex has two main things that I can see that makes this a superior pedal,

1. three springs. two on the primary pedal and one on the slave. At first it was a bit tricky to figure out but, after I got it right, both the primary and slave pedal had the same recoil. From my experiences with double bass pedals, dw, axis, yamaha, tama, and the list goes on, I have found that the vex seems to be the only double pedal in the market that has found a solution to this problem. With other bass pedals, the slave pedal always seems to be either too slow or too tense when comparing the feel of the primary pedal

2. The cam system. It has a really smooth feel to it. THe closer the beater gets to the drum head, the faster it speeds up. Really innovative idea.

There is a bunch of little things that come on this pedal that make the difference too. shaft locks, foot stops, bottom plates on both the pedals, tool holder, spring locks, and a bunch of other things.

All in all this pedal gets a perfect 10 in my book. Compared to a double pedal that I paid over 3 times the amount, the Vex met or beat it in every way. Wouldn't you give it a 10 too?

Happy Drumming :D

Dave

Shalaq

I think the Iron Cobra also has a cam that speeds up. It's called the Power glide cam. I also has a tool holder(key holder), bottom plates for both pedals, spring locks and foot stops.

DaveDWdrums

Shalaq":2vk1dwd8 said:
I think the Iron Cobra also has a cam that speeds up. It's called the Power glide cam. I also has a tool holder(key holder), bottom plates for both pedals, spring locks and foot stops.
The iron cobra is a good pedal but it is definately one of those pedals with the lagging slave pedal issue I wrote about above.

zen_drummer

You get what you pay for... don't be impressed by a high list price with a deep discount. It's not a bargain if it's only worth the hundred bucks you pay for it.

I've only ever heard of one person that thought it was anything but a cheap, second rate pedal.

There are MANY superior pedals on the market, and very few that are worse, so... buyer beware.

DaveDWdrums

zen_drummer":6a0oi444 said:
You get what you pay for... don't be impressed by a high list price with a deep discount. It's not a bargain if it's only worth the hundred bucks you pay for it.

I've only ever heard of one person that thought it was anything but a cheap, second rate pedal.

There are MANY superior pedals on the market, and very few that are worse, so... buyer beware.
No joke, I own a dw 5002 and the Vex is all around a better pedal. Trust me, I'm a DW whore (just look at my user name) but, I'll give credit where credit is deserved.

I purchased my pro touring on ebay because the company who I purchased it from was also the distributor of Vex in the US & they offered a 30 day guarantee.

On there Ebay ad it says exactly why the pedal is only $100.

-----------------------------------------------------

We, Factory Direct Music Inc, the exclusive distributor of Vex Drums & Percussion, have over 20 years of expertise in the music industry. We have two large shipping facilities in the USA based in Florida and California as well as our corporate headquarters located in Miami, FL. At any given time we have over $1,000,000 worth of musical instruments and accessories on hand! Since we deal directly with the manufacturer we are able to bring you, the customer, the best possible pricing in the USA. Our customers normally save between 300%-500% by eliminating the middle man markups associated by shopping at their local retail stores. We pride ourselves with our guaranteed satisfaction policy, excellent customer service and fast shipping times. Currently we have sold in over 18 countries worldwide. We are also proud members of Sqaretrade and Verified Merchants of Paypal. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us and one of our friendly knowledgeable associates will be glad to assist you.

----------------------------------------------------

If you want to see it for yourself, the companies user id on ebay is "SomeDrummer"

So in plain English, There are no middle men to mark up the pedals price. If you feel better spending $250 more on a lesser pedal by all means please do. As far as pedals go, I feel like I'm gonna be using Vex for a very long time.

Happy Drumming,
Dave

ddrumbum

I ended up buying one, and I got screwed, it showed up totally defective, the whole slave linkage is all messed up, the bearings are also all messed up, there is so much play in the slave pedal it is unbelieveable, I have tried to contact them on several different attempts via there website, and I have not gotten a single reply from them, and it is now going on three weeks, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THESE PEDALS TO MY WORST ENEMY, very pour quality pedal, horrible customer service(basically there is no customer service)they are crooks FLAT OUT, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU STAY VERY FAR AWAY.

zen_drummer

DaveDWdrums":6x5ylay1 said:
On there Ebay ad it says exactly why the pedal is only $100.
That's the same old story every company that claims to be eliminating "the middle man" tells, and it's as silly here as it is everyplace else it's told...

There is no middle man because music store owners won't buy the thing to put on their shelves. They know it wouldn't sell if you can do direct comparisons. The pedal is a hundred bucks because nobody in their right mind would pay more for it.

If your VEX is better than your DW pedal (which I also don't like) then you need to have your DW pedal repaired because it should flat-out KILL the vex pedal.

DaveDWdrums

zen_drummer":39g7rfua said:
If your VEX is better than your DW pedal (which I also don't like) then you need to have your DW pedal repaired because it should flat-out KILL the vex pedal.
Check out this link I found on the Vex website:

http://www.vexdrums.com/movement.htm

You seem to take drums very seriously. I respect that but, in the same accord, you should really consider trying the pedal before bashing it. No disrespect but, I've been playing the drums for a very long time myself. I can assure you that my DW is in perfect working order.

When I have some time to kill, I'll take a bunch of pictures of my Vex vs my DW and point out exactly what I'm talking about.

Happy Drumming,
Dave

zen_drummer

DaveDWdrums":to72g2ct said:
You seem to take drums very seriously. I respect that but, in the same accord, you should really consider trying the pedal before bashing it.
Your assumption that I have not seen or tried this pedal is not correct. A friend's son had this poor excuse for a pedal which was recently replaced (after less than three weeks when it fell apart) when he upgraded to the 100 dollar PDP pedal which is FAR superior. (sad but true)

What do you have to say to the fellow that asked about this pedal on this forum and he got one only to find out that it's junk, and the customer service isn't up to snuff, so he's stuck with it? Do you point at the rhetoric about how they are "eliminating the middle man" and starting a whole new movement in drumming?

What a CROCK!

vex drums website":to72g2ct said:
The Vex Drums Movement is a new unprecedented way of saving our customers a lot of money. In the music industry the biggest markups are associated due to middleman profits. To pursue throughout our mission, instead of our customers enduring the 300-500+% middleman markups associated with purchasing at their local music stores
First things first... If local music stores could get away with "300-500+% middleman markups" there might be something here to discuss... But that, my friend, is an outright lie, a falsehood and a complete deception and they know it!. MOST music stores on the planet STRUGGLE to make a 40% markup and MOST are lucky to make a 20% markup. I know several of you on this forum work at music stores, please chime in and verify this fact. With the onslaught of the internet stores such as musicians friend, many of the local music stores have had to adjust their prices down to a 15% markup just to compete. These 300-500+% markups do not exist, and never have! So we START out with a premise that is complete fiction.

Next, while these local music stores are struggling to make what little they can, they provide VALUABLE customer service. As you can see by the guy that purchased one of these trash pedals, he's having a little service problem because frankly, they don't want to service the stuff. They pack boxes and ship them, nothing more. You're in trouble if there's a problem.

Now we have converts, such as yourself, that believe the nonsense that you're trying to shove down our pie-holes and you get all upset because others see this junk for what it is.

Don't even THINK you'll dismiss me by saying I haven't tried or seen the product. If I haven't tried a product I'll freely admit it, as is evidenced all over this forum.

I will restate my previous comment. I have heard of EXACTLY one person that thinks this pedal is worth owning. Maybe you got lucky and got a good one... but so far the score is as follows: I know of TWO bad ones and one guy that swears the pedal is the the greatest thing ever, and the new VEX movement will save us all from the evils of middlemen markups.

Music stores provide a valuable resource. The company that you're promoting isn't honest in their marketing. It's not your fault for believing them, but now that you KNOW that they are liars, you'll be responsible for anybody that buys the junk on your recommendation and has a less than favorable outcome. Good luck with that.

It's a scam.

DaveDWdrums

zen_drummer":1sukpq1r said:
First things first... If local music stores could get away with "300-500+% middleman markups" there might be something here to discuss... But that, my friend, is an outright lie, a falsehood and a complete deception
I would completely agree with you except your forgetting about the logistics chain. The chain works as follows

1. Raw material supplier
2. Manufacturer
3. Distributor
4. Wholesaler
5. Retailer
6. Customer

I been working for a large logistics company for many moons to say the least which focuses in a nutshell how to make big businesses run smoother and make more money at the end of the day. I can assure you that normally in the retail world the mark up is 60-100%. Way under the 300-500% that Vex states on their website right? Wrong, your forgetting about the other middle man markups of distributors, wholesalers, shipping, and storage. Which can easily get when you add them all together to 300-500%.

Here is Vex's way of operations

1. Raw material supplier
2. Manufacturer
3. Distributor
4. Customer

There are a few companies which you may have heard of that follow this business plan. Dell & Netflix to name a few.

OK, enough about how business works and more about what we're all here to talk about, double bass pedals

I humbly apologize for assuming that you haven't tried the Vex Pro Touring. What was your take on the pedal when you tried it? Did you really see any design flaws? I've really had my time to toy with it and I honestly have not.

Don't think that I think the Vex is the end all be all double pedal in the market. In my opinion the fastest double pedals have to be Axis but I cannot see myself spending that kind of money for a double pedal.

I do however think that it is EASILY the best double bass pedal for the price without even giving it a second thought.

How could it be a scam if they delivered exactly what sold me on their site?

How could you say that the PDP is better? Just look at them both side to side:

zen_drummer

DaveDWdrums":3ftt3krn said:
I would completely agree with you except your forgetting about the logistics chain. The chain works as follows

1. Raw material supplier
2. Manufacturer
3. Distributor
4. Wholesaler
5. Retailer
6. Customer
If that were true, I could agree with you to some degree, but you obviously have not spent any time in the music retail industry where the supply chain for most name brand products works as follows:

1. Raw material supplier
2. Manufacturer
3. Retailer
4. Customer

As there is nothing that comes into the discussion that relates to the relationship between the material supplier and the Manufacturer, then we need to examine the rest of the logistics chain. Lets compare this to the VEX business model.

1. Raw material supplier
2. Manufacturer (VEX)
3. Distributer (Factory Direct Music)
4. Customer

I'm not seeing a difference, are you? There are still four steps in the chain, right?

I can assure you that normally in the retail world the mark up is 60-100%.
Well, not really. In the music retail world, accessory products such as Guitar Polish and little gizmos often find their way to the retailer through distributors, and they typically have a markep of 50 points or 100% markup. Occasionally there are accessory items with a slightly higher markup, but that is rather rare these days.

Hard Goods suchs as drums, hardware, pedals and the like start out with a markup of 40 points (60% markup) and the discounts go down from there. With the internet sales being what they are, many local music stores have been forced to discount to as low as 15 to 20 points to remain competitive because online retails rarely charge tax and they have adopted a free shipping model with sales over 100 dollars in many cases. So I contend that once again, the markups quoted are highly inflated and dishonest.

There are a few companies which you may have heard of that follow this business plan. Dell & Netflix to name a few.
There are many more as well. I have never seen Dell intentionally mislead the buying public, have you? I'm not sure how netflix really compares because they are in the video rental business, but I'd be interested in seeing how a rental business model compares to a retail sales model, it should be interesting.

I humbly apologize for assuming that you haven't tried the Vex Pro Touring. What was your take on the pedal when you tried it? Did you really see any design flaws? I've really had my time to toy with it and I honestly have not.
I accept that apology. But, what's my take on it? It's JUNK!

Now, seeing as yours is not broken, I can understand how you might actually like it. I think having the U-Joint break after three weeks is a pretty major design flaw. I gave the kid an old axle from a Gibraltar pedal I had laying around (it fit, by the way) so he could use his pedal, and the allen-key screws on the main pedal axle stripped in the casting. The pedal became useless because the part was now rotating on the main shaft. I think that qualifies as another major design flaw.

I Don't think that I think the Vex is the end all be all double pedal in the market. In my opinion the fastest double pedals have to be Axis but I cannot see myself spending that kind of money for a double pedal. I do however think that it is EASILY the best double bass pedal for the price without even giving it a second thought.
I upgraded from Axis to Trick and I love the new Trick pedals, but it's not fair to compare the Trick pedals to VEX, as this would not be Apples and Oranges, It would be more like comparing Apples to a steaming heap of.. well.. let's not go there.

How could it be a scam if they delivered exactly what sold me on their site?
You got lucky? Others have not. The fact remains that they are not honest in their marketing hype, you fell for it, and it worked out for you. Congratulations. I hope it lasts you a century or more, but it probably won't. (don't give me grief about the century comment, I have a 1909 Ludwig pedal that is pushing 100 years old soon and it still works... do you think the VEX will still be "kicking" in that time frame?)

How could you say that the PDP is better? Just look at them both side to side:
What can possibly be gained by comparing two pictures? The quality of the castings certainly cannot be judged like that. Put them both side by side, play them and see which one breaks first. I don't CARE if the VEX plays or feels better if it's not going to last.

Why on EARTH do you defend this product like it was your own child?

ddrumbum

Zen Drummer, THANK YOU SO MUCH, I now you are not just standing up for me only, but you are helping out a great deal, thank you very much, I WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING I COULD DO TO ME THING GUYS DOWN OR AT LEAST GET MY MONEY BACK.

VEX is a complete rip-off, MY pedal is complete JUNK, the customer service, there is NONE, it is horrible and non exisitant, I completely wasted $100 of my very hard earned money, and frankly I am ashamed of myself for falling for there trap.

To daveDWdrums, you are obviously a sales rep for vex, and a complete liar, you business I hope fails, as I am sure it will with crappy products and horrible customer service.

I RECOMMEND EVERYONE READING THIS STAY AWAY FROM VEX PEDAL, YOU WILL JUST BE THROWING AWAY YOUR MONEY.

zen_drummer

ddrumbum":12lnjbiy said:
To daveDWdrums, you are obviously a sales rep for vex, and a complete liar, you business I hope fails, as I am sure it will with crappy products and horrible customer service.
Well, I'm not so sure it's all that sinister, he might just be a guy that doesn't know any better, though who really knows...

Contact me in private with the details of your purchase and let's see what we can do to get VEX to service these pedals. Maybe if I call them and tell them that they have some issues to deal with they might listen to an older guy that can put together a pretty strong argument for doing the right thing.

pearldrumer

heh... Not too long ago i bought a pearl eliminator. I like it and its got the medium, heavy, and light feel. So i decide to buy a double basspearl eliminator pedal. I check out the net and the vex double bass pedal on ebay caught my eye. I liked the price buti have never heard of the company. I check out the reviews on the ebay site and they dont have the name of the person of the name who had written them and theyre practically all repeating themselves. I look at the excel spread sheet and its obviously fake too. I wanted to see the article in the magazine on vex not in a spreadsheet. So that information was unreliable and i come here. I check out the reviews and what i read is probably true. You get what you pay

zen_drummer

If you go to Dictionary.Com and look up the word VEX, here is what you get:

dictionary.com":3aksisvv said:
vex –verb (used with object)

1. to irritate; annoy; provoke: His noisy neighbors often vexed him.
2. to torment; trouble; distress; plague; worry: Lack of money vexes many.
3. to discuss or debate (a subject, question, etc.) with vigor or at great length: to vex a question endlessly without agreeing.
4. to disturb by motion; stir up; toss about.
5. to afflict with physical pain.
Is it possible that they named this thing correctly? Jeeesh, I Couldn't believe it when I saw that!

Check it out for yourself!

ddrumbum

Well I must say after nearly a month of countless emails, unanswered phone calls, FINALLY the problem was resolved with a HUGE helping hand from ZEN DRUMMER, Finally they sent me a replacement pedal, and it is great, the pedal is way better than the original defective one, so to all planning or thinking about buying a VEX double pedal keep in mind, if they don't email you, get ZEN DRUMMER to help you, he seriously gets results, thanks again ZEN DRUMMER.

anavrinIV

glad to see that everything worked out for you. i havent personally played the vex pedal but with these reveiws ill be sure not to recommend it to anyone. i started with the pdp pedal and had no problems with it, even when i replaced it with my cobras. its a great pedal for the price and i always will recommend that one to someone looking for a good, cheap pedal.