Your Opinions on Martin Lopez

vargasdrumbeast

What do you guys think of his playing? Just in case you dont know who he is he was the drummer for Opeth for a while, but he left to pursue his own drumming projects.

break the prism

ithink he's one of the most creative metal drummers around today, and i'm sad that he left Opeth even though his drumming style and his overall musical talent is enough to make it solo.

Howepirate

vargasdrumbeast":35vqilfn said:
What do you guys think of his playing? Just in case you dont know who he is he was the drummer for Opeth for a while, but he left to pursue his own drumming projects.
he has an amazing playing style and fits music all to well, to bad he has that heart disease or whatever :(

Eiren

I honestly thought he was one of the worst drummers I've seen live in a professional band. I got to see Opeth live quite a lot over the years (you can see me in the Lamentations DVD!), and it's always been a sticking point for me and my other drumming friends.

I've yet to see them with the new guy, but I hope he is as good as musician as the other members of Opeth, as I always felt Martin was the weak point in the band.

He was definitely more suited to the quieter acoustic material, than the pummeling metal bits.

Very nice guy though, met him a couple times also.

mileslong

i never saw them live, but the stuff on the record sounded good. especially the outro on deliverence. i loved the way that his beat had so much too it. but as far as a live drummer, i've never seen or heard them, so i wouldn't know about that.

writheindecay

i think he is an amazing drummer, he was part of the reason i love opeth so much. he wrote one of my favorite grooves too. (listen to white cluster when the song slows down and he goes to the high hats and lays it down, its fucking game over/ (this is forgiveness, sooo i know.. once i repent i seal the lid- that part of the song)

vargasdrumbeast

Howepirate":1t21w089 said:
vargasdrumbeast":1t21w089 said:
he has an amazing playing style and fits music all to well, to bad he has that heart disease or whatever :(
I think he was having panic attacks or something, nothing like heart disease, but serious enough to make him leave

Howepirate

vargasdrumbeast":3qyhlbdg said:
Howepirate":3qyhlbdg said:
vargasdrumbeast":3qyhlbdg said:
I think he was having panic attacks or something, nothing like heart disease, but serious enough to make him leave
Lopez's frequent problems (such as a panic attack on Opeth's "Lamentations" tour) and diagnosis with blood poisoning are the effects of a rare disease which he has.

writheindecay

this guy is seriously one of the greatest drummers of all time. check out the album still life. there are some killer drumlines on that album.

hes got excellent feeling and is very creative. opeth isnt going to be opeth with out him.