Your job in a band

Shalaq

What's your job in a band? Do you only bash away or do you compose with the others? Do you write lyrics?
I play a little guitar, so I take part in making the riffs and also I try to take part in arranging as much as I can. Sometimes I'll write lyrics to one of the songs ;)
Now I'm in a blues- like band, so I just try to fit in the songs and meanwhile put my stamp on the songs that we play. I never played blues and other stuff these guys play, so it's fun for me to try myself in a different setting.

Silzildrummer

I really like to help write lyrics with the rest of my bandmates. Also I try to work alot with our bassist to come up with some stuff.

Timekeep69

Musically, I only wwrite drum parts. I usually do promotions and all of the business aspects fo the bands I'm in.

caulkie

Mainly drums but the bass player wants me to play bass on a couple of tracks so he can push the guitarist onto the drums, just goes to show we are all multi-talented :lol:

loop

caulkie":yd2s1gqn said:
Mainly drums but the bass player wants me to play bass on a couple of tracks so he can push the guitarist onto the drums, just goes to show we are all multi-talented :lol:
it must be a great fun! I'd like to play several instruments but I'll never neglect drums to practise another instrument

caulkie

loop":3d5bdwxn said:
caulkie":3d5bdwxn said:
it must be a great fun! I'd like to play several instruments but I'll never neglect drums to practise another instrument
Oh yes, it is great fun, but you must have other hobbies outside of drumming? I play bass as another hobby, best way to look for it. I am unable to practice at home, haven't practiced at home on a kit since 1990!!!!! :( Just a practice pad for my rudiments.

BUT, bass playing falls in line with drums as its the "other" rhythm instrument. I have a BCRich Warlock Bronze bass, nothing special but playing standing up is a novelty :lol: :lol: I'm only playing bass on easy drum songs, so I feel that I'm not missing out. The song I'm looking forward to laying bass on is "When September Ends" by Green Day :p :lol: 8)

Lepricoin

my guitarist doesnt like it when i come up with riffs and stuff like that because i dont have the same backgroud in guitar he does (as far as lessons and downtime practicing.) I think its super lame though I dont care too much ill just keep what i write for myslef or future projects.

The classic from him was when he said "Your the drummer"... too bad im not the argumentative type due to the fact I always think of things to say 10 minutes after the conversation is over but oh well. I guess i should write dave grohl and remind him that he is just the drummer.

karma10drummer

As a member of a band I take pride in playing a role in writing new music with the band not just bash away.. I will always listen to my fellow band mates if they have a certin kind of beat they want or a crazy off time pattern.
Also do promotions and run the website for the band. We try to focus on each persons strengths.

prog_drummer_77

that is me too man...i tried to pick up guitar, but after takin time to learn just five chords, hehe i took a glance at my kit and put the guitar in the closet haha. (im really really interested in Keyboards though....for like weird effects/alien sounds/freaky things!

loop

karma10drummer":3dc4nr52 said:
I will always listen to my fellow band mates if they have a certin kind of beat they want or a crazy off time pattern.
The same for me!

screamkevin

Good question, Shalaq!

My responsibilities in my band, SCREAM, are:

1. Drummer/Backing Vocals
2. Designated Jaegermeister Taster.
3. Designated Miller Lite guzzler.
4. Designated Chick Magnet. (In my own mind, anyway.)
5. Website updater/Forum Administrator
6. Detail Checker for shows.
7. Designated Butt Kicker for "get your butt in gear" type stuff.

Besides babysitter and mediator during fights lol, my job in my band Treadkill Red is not only writing my own parts, but coming to practice with at least 5 new songs ideas. It's a 3 peice metal band, and our little assignments is coming to practice with new ideas. Frequently, I have guitar ideas that are built around a drum beat I've dreamed up. It works out very well. Also, I'm the one that books gigs.

stevo

i write some of the songs, (for all 4 instruments) help modify current ones, but mostly just rock out behind the kit!

miren324

In all my bands I've always kind of taken care of the business end of things (setting up shows, promoting those shows, finding times to practice, setting up for recording, etc.). As far as music goes, I used to play the drums along with whatever everyone else was writing and then, if they wanted to change it but didn't know how, I'd give them some ideas and explain a little theory to them (drum theory, meaning teaching everyone else about time signatures, changing tempos, polyrythms, etc.).

With one of the bands I'm in now, though, I know a lot more about the technical side of the music (we're doing a lot of strange time signatures, changing time signatures, and polymetric and polyrhythmic stuff). So the guitarist will come in with something new, I'll write a beat to fit it, and then both of us will give each other ideas on how to arrange it with the rest of the song, or how to change it up a little. I'm also learning guitar and bass, and since we don't have a bass player, I write the bass lines for the stuff he plays. This is the most fun I've ever had in a band.

SKPScott

I write half the music, my role is just as important as the guitarists and bassist. Plus up until we got signed to Imagine It Records, Dead Horse Management and the Chamberlain Agency I did all the booking, websites, promoting, myspacing and everything else but the other half of the writing. lol.

-Scott from SKP