Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Karlo123

how did u make it? -set the band up-get ppl.-
Do you have a band?
woot is ur band u got now?
You like the guys in your band?

SETTING THE BEND UP- Ohh

Thats the worst part. I havent got a band, probably cuzz im 14. I keep looking for ppl that loove, liv with music. Hell yeah. Know to play good,best,great. Feel the music,whaile ur playing. Yep. Thats it. Thats hard to find. Thats me! Very Happy

Well how i said i still keep looking for guys. got a guy who could play guitar. I just LOOVE MUSIC AND DRUMS. And got my owns. I keep practise every day 1 % of ppl i know heard me playing. maybe a couple ppl. Very Happy
My drums arent the best rly, or special, but hell with it. Im 14 and i got a whole life to get a drumm set, and i got to practise with the thing i got. even i know they arent BAD drums. thats my way

SO woots ur story?

iatemygoat

most of my bands started out with just me and friends. talk to some people who know who play an instrument and just start jamming. ur most likely not gonna get big with that band (seeing as though ive lost count of how mnay bands ive been in) and if ur a good drummer at the age of 14 you'll be in 4 bands at once(something i had to endure for like a year)

xsongsofselfx

first band:
SYRRIS (AKA THE Sk8tErz, FEEDBACK, CREATE TO DESTROY)

http://www.garageband.com/artist/syrris
www.hxcmp3.com/create%20to%20destroy

This band I started in elementary school (Sk8ters) with my best friend at the time. It went all the way through middle school (Feedback, Syrris) and into the first year of high school (Create to Destroy). The name changes kind of went with the times. When we first started everything was all about Sepultura and Pantera for me (the other guys liked a lot of bands like Korn and Slipknot as well). In middle school it became more of a hardcore-influenced thing as I was way into Hatebreed and stuff. Then in High School it turned to a death metal type thing along the lines of early Shadows Fall mixed with Deicide. It was always the basic same members, except for in high school we had a different singer and bass player. Syrris was our longest standing band-name.

current bands:

www.fighteveryone.com
LOS ANGELES STRAIGHT EDGE HARDCORE
www.myspace.com/fighteveryone

www.crematoriummusic.com
LOS ANGELES DEATH METAL
www.myspace.com/crematorium

anavrinIV

my first band i was in for a year and 8 months...we just disbanded a few days ago.

we were all friends before hand and it just all kind of fell together, although i was the mutual aquanitance of everyone. ive known these guys for a long time, ranging from 6 years to 17 years (im only 17 and ive been with the bassist since i was 6 weeks old) so we all just learned how to work together.

they guys that were in this band are my best friends and if it came to it i would have broken up the band personally rather than have something ruin all of those friendships.

go to myspace.com/anavriniv to see videos of our one and only "big" gig.

My first band started when I was in 8th grade, there was some coffee house thing or something at my school, and I was the best drummer in the school at the time, and a couple of my friends wanted to play a song at the coffee house, so I agreed to it. We played Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm, and it was awesome. Then we named the band The Hats. After that the next show we played was in high school, our freshman year, and we played some songs, I don't remember what they were, but I know we played Linkin Park, Nirvana, Smooth Criminal, and Blink182,it could have been much better. I stayed in that band for a while, as we kept playing shows at the school, until eventually we were playing some classic rock and metal stuff. At our last show, we played Electric Funeral by Black Sabbath, Moon Baby by Godsmack, The Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin, and Rock You Like A Hurricane by The Scorpions, it was an awesome set, but I sort of lost interest in the band after that, cuz we didn't do as much.

My current band is called Far From Over, and we play shows around Rhode Island, we're doing pretty good. I love my band mates, I couldn't ask for anyone better.

www.myspace.com/farfromoverband

B-RAD52

Hey. I'm 19 years old. My first band was when I was 13, we played a couple of school events. Then the lead guitarist moved away. After that, I was in the rock band "Billy Hank and the Cathouse Crooners." It was a rock band that my dad and I put together through our high school since he was the band director. I was in that for 4 years. From there, I moved to the band 3 Ways Out, and have been with them for about 10 months.

Call me Gideon

My first band started with some friends that loved to play. We'd go into the school music room and play every lunch period. Wasnt much of a band since we didnt play out but we were 13 so what the hell.
I got into my next band cause there were only 3 drummers, in the whole school, that had their own kit. One was in a band, one apparently had an awesome kit but could only play a straight beat and straight roll on the dbl bass. I wasnt a great drummer but I could play everything they needed me to, so I was in.
Once I joined the Army, it was,"You play drums? Hey he plays guitar, you two should get together." Thus Weather torn was born.
The band Im in now actually found me on AOL. At the time I didnt have a kit but they had one and were just searching for drummers in Baltimore on AOL and IMed me and I auditioned and its been workin for the past 6 years.

iatemygoat

my first band lasted about 2 practices haha.

my first band that actually did something was in 8th grade. we were called Kwyjibo(after an old simspons episode) and we recorded a demo and broke up like a year later.

since then ive been in numerous amounts of bands. some serious, MANY not so serious.

Potatoe Snack

my first band was called Discursive, we sounded sort of like soulfly/nailbomb type junk. it was where i met my singer and bassist for my current band.
my current band is called crimson orchid and i have no idea how to classify us so...check it out if you're interested...
myspace.com/crimsonorchidband
we're doin out first tour this summer, i'm excited! sleepin in a van with four fat guys! :eek:

mattsmith

Well my start wasn't so typical because I was given a lot of opportunities I should have worked harder to get at such a young age. I used to feel kinda guilty about all that. But now I've just learned you take it as it comes.

Louie Bellson used to play gigs with my dad until around 1991. Dad and I ran into him when I was 9. At the time I was thinking about becoming a drummer. Dad told Louie this, and then Louie just handed me the sticks he finished playing the concert with. So after that I had to believe that was it. From that moment on I was a drummer.

I worked very hard for the next two years and listened to jazz music around the clock, especially Miles Davis and John Coltrane. My favorite drummers were always Tony Williams and Elvin Jones. I had everything those guys were on, including outtakes. I used to go to sleep with the headphones on. A lot of nights I still do.

When I was 12 Dad became the Fulbright Professor of Jazz for Romania, and we lived in Bucharest where I was allowed into all the main clubs in town because they knew Dad. One night a pretty well known pianist saw me sitting in the club drinking a Pepsi with a straw, and asked if I wanted to sit in. I was too stupid to be scared. Well he called a tune I knew and we were off. Then this guy reccomended me to another guy who needed a drummer really fast for a concert not as tough as the set with the pianist. When my mom got me over there we saw all these TV cameras. Turns out that my first gig for money was on national television. It happened as fast as that.

In the audience was Romania's top set player, an amazing musician named Vlad Popescu. For the next two years he was my mentor. In Romania you could get a great teacher for what would be about $15 USD for an hour an a half lesson. So of course I was with Vlad twice a week. He hooked me up with some other guys who were into Coltrane and Miles Davis like me, and for a while I led my own band that played covers of those guys. We did the jazz clubs all over Bucharest. Then when I was 14, and we were about to leave Romania for good, I did an album of very modern almost free form Coltrane jazz with these fine musicians.

Here's one of the more free form tracks from that session. I still had a lot to learn, but I did OK for 14.

http://media.putfile.com/Expression-45

Strangely enough, the original Coltrane drummer who played this composition was Rashied Ali. He by chance heard my recording while visiting Europe. We hooked up for some things when I was in the 9th grade and that led to things down a completely different path than before.

The strangest part of my beginnings has been the most recent. Back when I was with Vlad, he was always making me work on endurance by practicing single stroke rolls for 10 minutes or more without stopping. I used to hate this stuff, but I had to admit that I had pretty great endurance because of it. But it was still a pretty weird thing to get a 12-14 year old to do.

Well the summer after 9th grade Dad was heading out on a Euopean tour, and he wanted to make sure I stayed busy on some kind of goal. He had been given this bizarre little gadget called a Drumometer and told me I could use it while he was gone because it had a metronome on it. I asked him what people did with the digital counter and the sensor attachment.

Connect them to pads and try to set single stroke world records on them, he laughed.

I wasn't laughing.

After being very disappointed with a 2nd place finish in a national drumoff, I decided to give the whole single stroke speed contest thing a shot since I already had all these singles chops from my time with Vlad.

A year later I won the WFD world championship, and last January just missed Mangini's traditional grip singles record (1126 to 1119). Sure WFD isn't really music or anything, but it's put me in with so many people all over the world. It also got me to respect musicians who play music a lot different than my own.

In the fall I start my studies with Johnny Rabb, and that will also lead to a lot of new adventures. I met him at WFD because as many of you know he was the first world champion.

So now as I finish the 11th grade I've got a CD coming out and some decent gigs over the horizon, although as I already said, I don't really deserve some of these chances yet. But I'm still going to take them even if I fall on my dumb young ass.

More than anything else the main thing I learned was that you jump to the next step as soon as the chance happens, and you do it without fear. Now my biggest problem is to work hard enough to get to the step now where people already expect me to be. It's kinda scary at times. But I would rather be doing it this way than being awesome with no connections and no gigs.

Karlo123

nice all. yep i started my bend with my B.F. (best friends) too. and its BROKE.

thinking about MAYBE making a new one. im getting some gusys

:D

Conor

my band actually came to me lol. it was a four peice metal instrumental, and it was pretty sick, but we have changed so much from then. we started off metal, then went to hardcore, and now we are more metalcore, and still pretty sick. Since the band first started, we have gone through a bassist, and are on our fourth rythm guitarist, and added a vocalist, so now were a five peice band. i also play in another one, nothin really exciting had happened in that one yet. i mean people getting kicked out as exiting lol

drum man

no dont have a band. i wish i did. I had one for a while we started playing crapy metal and then we kinda tryed to get a better death metal sound and some technical parts and then all the sudden both the guitarist and the singer started wanted to do somthing different and they couldnt agree on anything now im looking for a new band.

osiris90210

my first band was called mascara and it was a glam metal band doin like murderdolls and wednesday 13 type stuff, we did 1 live gig and broke up shortly after that...

ive been in about 6 bands since then, one being serious but the pplp in it annoyd me so i said i couldnt do it and the fact it was just a dull band, playing basic stuff, it got old quick

my current band is a band similar to stone sour in that we play all different genres but stick to the whole rock scene,

and in most of my bands its been me and my mates decide to have a jam and then think shit that sounded okay and it goes from there

having a band isnt overly difficult, its the moving of a drumkit that is overly difficut, for practices i only take a base 6 peice for gigs i use my full 9 peice tho

drummerdave

Karlo123":2oeyy0yr said:
how did u make it? -set the band up-get ppl.-
Do you have a band?
woot is ur band u got now?
You like the guys in your band?

SETTING THE BEND UP- Ohh

Thats the worst part. I havent got a band, probably cuzz im 14. I keep looking for ppl that loove, liv with music. Hell yeah. Know to play good,best,great. Feel the music,whaile ur playing. Yep. Thats it. Thats hard to find. Thats me! Very Happy

Well how i said i still keep looking for guys. got a guy who could play guitar. I just LOOVE MUSIC AND DRUMS. And got my owns. I keep practise every day 1 % of ppl i know heard me playing. maybe a couple ppl. Very Happy
My drums arent the best rly, or special, but hell with it. Im 14 and i got a whole life to get a drumm set, and i got to practise with the thing i got. even i know they arent BAD drums. thats my way

SO woots ur story?
My first band was with a bunch of friends from school. We were 15 and we had a bunch of songs together, and we were doing the neighborhood "lawn tour" where we played for all the parents party's. Our biggest gig was when we played for a bunch of Japanese College students who were part of a new college opening up in our neighborhood. I was the lead singer at the time and I was so nervous that I sang the first set with my back towards the audience. Finally by the 2nd set I was able to turn sideways.
I got over the stage fright and I currently play drums for a Zydeco band called the Broadway Cadillacs, and a Ska band called the Scofflaws.

Cheers

drumsforlife

floydistheman789":23if16xf said:
We played Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm, and it was awesome.
First off, Smooth Criminal was first done by Michael Jackson. It's not by Alien Ant Farm. But I guess ya'll played a cover of Smooth Criminal that sounded like Alien Ant Farm's? Not knockin' ya, it's just technicalities like that drive me insane.

Ok. My first band was in 10th grade. It was a punk rock band called Sterile Squirrel. We mostly played house parties were everybody drank mass quantities of cheap beer and thrashed about in one big mosh pit. Sterile Squirrel is the reason I bought a drum set in the first place. The other two guys were like, "we need a drummer..." and I was like, "shit I'll do it." Our biggest gig was a show at a skate park. It was back when the Warped Tour was new and all, and extreme sports meeting a rock concert was something to behold. So that was our local, small town version of the Warped Tour. We were the third band on a roster of about eight. It was fun. The band after us strangely sounded like Dream Theater. We broke up like the next day.

After that, my next band wasn't until way after I graduated high school. I met these two guitarists who were playing at a bar. I just walked up to them during a break and asked if they needed a drummer. We formed Wagon Wheel, and played around town for a year and a half, making about $400 bucks a night, plus free drinks. Then our PA was stolen and it was down hill from there. The gig got fewer and fewer until we just stopped playing all together. Recently, Wagon Wheel got back together to play a reunion show at this Irish pub called The Shamrock. It was so much fun. But I haven't heard from those guys since.

My current band isn't playing anywhere at the current moment. We're in the middle of writing and recording our first album. This group is called Flatline Faith. Sounds like a mix between Dave Matthews Band, Pink Floyd, and Opeth. Weird combination I know, but it's cool. It's like progressive jam band.

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

MikeRowland

Though I have played drums for much longer, I played guitar in my first couple of bands (a Metallica/Maiden/Megadeth cover band, then some prog metal bands). I didn't seriously consider drumming in a band for many years. As a matter of fact, I was the original bassist in one of the bands I play in now, and I left it to play guitar in a prog metal band. The former drummer from this band used my drums on the first album. Now, I play in several groups of different styles. My main project is Dimmed, an alt-rock group, and I also play Top 40 and in an alt-country group, just to keep myself conditioned. I have never played in a band with people that were friends prior to my joining. No particular reason, except all my friends are drummers!