You own a set of DW Pacific's...WHAT?

Rockaflodge

you own a set of DW Pacific’s…What?

Ok guys and girls, I know I am about to push some buttons but here we go. I see a lot of Pacific drum owners claiming that they own a set of DW Pacific’s….NO YOU DON’T! You own a set of Pacific drums MADE by DW. If they were DW Pacific’s, that would mean that the Pacific’s were a line or series of DW drums BUT they are not! Pacific drums are a sister company of DW drums. The only things these two companies share are that they are both owned and operated by the same people. DW drums are made in the U.S.A. and are of the most highest quality materials (IMO- but still very over priced). Pacific’s are made in South America using cheaper materials and cheaper labor. Don’t get me wrong, I think Pacific’s are amazing drums, they sound great and look great and I could buy a kit with out killing my grandparents to get inheritance money to pay for them, BUT COME ON! Be prod of your drums! Don’t put a fancy name in front of your drums name because you think people will think it makes you kit cooler. “O” and one more thing…STOP putting DW logo heads on pacific drums, it just makes you that much more of a poser.

wolfendenstate

I have to say although you seem to be taking this issue way too seriously, I'm in agreement about the last statement. When I bought my pacific kit the sales assisstant tried to flog me a DW bass drum skin, and I just thought what the hell does it matter what brand name is on it as long as it sounds good, and believe me, it sounds very good.

However there are always musicians out there who rate you on what you can afford, or which obscure musician you name check as a personal fav. I've had to deal with many of these types.

But you know what, i really don't care if I can't spot a Gadd shuffle from 500 paces, and I don't care if I don't have a DW kit. My PDP kit sounds awesome, I'm out there, gigging whenever I can, playing at the edge of my ability, and really enjoying myself and that's the only reason I got into drums, to play and enjoy it.

People wouldn't feel the need to point out that PDP is owned by DW, or put a DW skin on a PDP kit if there weren't drummers out there looking down there noses at others who can't afford a DW kit, or mocking if they don't know there Dave Weckle's from there Thomas Lang's.

Spydr2000

I couldn't agree more.. I think if some of these Pacific drum owners owned a DW kit they realize their Pacific kit is probably nicer. Plus why be ashamed of your Pacific kit? Pro's use these drums. I've owned a pearl masters kit and a DW kit and I now play Ddrum dominion's that is a big step backwards as far as cost and what is consider top of the line but these drums have everything those kit offered.

bravura911

Well, the stuff about the DW heads is a bunch of crap because when I bought my pacific kit it came with DW heads on it. DW does own Pacific, and they are indeed made in different places, but they do use the same supplies of materials. Hell, even the hardware on my snare says DW. The DVD that came with my kit shows the difference between the two kits. They use the same wood, the same hardware, but the Pacific drums are assembled in mexico and do not offer as many types of kits or options. I'm not trying to say that my Pacific kit is a DW kit, but you need to stop putting the smack down on them and get your facts strait. It is easy to get confused to say DW Pacific because that is pretty much how they are marketed and like I said, DW is on some of the hardware and on the initial heads that come with it. I love my Pacifics. They tune the pitch on the kit I bought just like a DW kit, it is made out of the same solid maple wood as a DW kit, but it was made in Mexico by Pacific.

Gaddabout

A few years back I owned a DW Custom Collector's Series. Maple. 10" 12" 14" toms, 22" bass. Amber satin finish. Previous owner had an internal May micing system installed and left the mounts for me.

Once I got over the buzz of owning a high end kit again (I had Recording Customs in the late 80s/early 90s), I wished I'd just bought a new Pacific with fusion tom sizes and upgraded the hardware and heads. It would've sounded the same and I would've had enough money left over to buy an entirely new line of Zildjian Custom Ks.

If I ever spend that kind of money on a kit again, it will be for something truly valuable. Solid shells all the way.

Rockaflodge

Before all the haters get to haten, I like Pacific drums! I think they are amazing drums. However I dont think its cool to put your kit off as a dw kit when its not.

broozer

good point you've made here. i own a set of REAL DW's and it was the smartest choice i have ever made when it comes to buying drums. and regardless of the cost i paid for them i have never once regretted it or thought i paid too much.

back in '95 when i got my first DW kit i also bought hardware to go with it. i bought 3 tom/cymbal stands, a 5000 series pedal and a couple of straight cymbal stands. all stands were from the 9000 series. i ended up selling all of those stands over the last year or so and after 10 years of use on the road and touring all over the country NEVER once did anything on those stands break. in fact i've only had one part break on me in the 12 years i've owned my kit and it was a floor tom leg mount on my 14" floor.

there's no better drum gear out there than DW. so while they may cost alot to you you have to look at how long they will last. that makes them very affordable in the end. remember, you get what you pay for. and for the record i have played on pacific kits, but i would NEVER buy one.

bruce

getsdead

I bought my first kit a few years ago, Pacific 5-piece birch. However, I've never been overly impressed with the way they sound. There have been one or two times that I've tuned them perfectly and they sounded great under a mic. Just my opinion.

Gaddabout

getsdead":3r5b0tqx said:
I bought my first kit a few years ago, Pacific 5-piece birch. However, I've never been overly impressed with the way they sound. There have been one or two times that I've tuned them perfectly and they sounded great under a mic. Just my opinion.
I think birch is the wrong wood for a first kit. It's too bright and really takes an experienced ear to get a familiar or pleasing tone from them. Consider trading up for a maple or going with one of the Pacific maple/mahogany kits.

Also, shell size has a lot to do with it. I really don't like the 12/13/15 configs on the low end kits because it's really hard to find a happy tuning place for that 13" tom. I'm a big believer in even-numbered diamaters: 10/12/14 or 12/14/16. You could even go 10/13/16 and find some musical tunings. But if it were up to me, it would be illegal to make a 13" tom. ;)

veklynvhyz

STOP putting DW logo heads on pacific drums, it just makes you that much more of a poser.

i dont have a dw logo on my kit, but the fact that you say it makes one more of a poser would mean that by merely owning a kit by pacific makes you a poser, being that i own a pacific kit i wouldnt consider myself a poser. i take drums, and drumming seriously and being called a poser for owning a kit isnt very cool imo. ever heard the saying, "The only bad drummer, is the drummer that bashes other drummers". im not saying youre a bad drummer or bashing anyone just something to think about. and if someone wants to claim that they own a dw kit and its a pacific let them, then the people who really know drums and the difference will know

drummerwags

Okay. Let me educate you. Pacific places a dw logo on the bottom of the resonate head of the bass drum. Second of all, Drum Workshop insists on keeping a close/direct association with it's Pacific Drums and Percusion company. And why not...they are proud of the product. When you purchase the drums or hardware, the boxes have PDP by DW displayed on it. So your beef should be with DW, not the drummers who play Pacific drum kits. Now relax and find something more important to go off on.
Peace.....wags

lisamp7

I once thought about buying a pacific kit only because it was maple and affordable, but i held out to wait and see what it was I really wanted in a kit. That was about 3 years ago. I havent seen them much and when I have around my area (nyc) the sound quality of them didnt impress me much. Then 2 weeks ago, when i went to Toronto for a show, I played on a pacific kit at a rehearsal space in the area, and the kit had been so worn and torn and beat up looking and sounded like absolute shit. I dont know about you but most good quality drums i've played on that were old and beat up sounded amazing.

Cheapskate

Im with Kasper..
if you feel cooler calling your pcp a dw ... go ahead
you desrve to feel cool,

I dont know about you but most good quality drums i've played on that were old and beat up sounded amazing.
this has not been my experience,
most beat up kits at practise stodios sound like beat up kits at practise studios

Rockaflodge

let me remind everybody of what I said...1. I know that there is a small DW logo on the bass heads, I am not talking about that...2. I am not bashing Pacific drums, I think they are great drums. What I am talking about is the people who buy a DW logo head and putt them on a Pacific drum kit. I just dont understand why you would not want the Pacific logo head on it. I play pearl master's and if I saw a Export kit with a master's logo head on it, it would piss me off. I paid for the real deal and now some one is going to bring my kit down to a export kit level, that's srewed up, and I feel like the guys who paid for a real DW kit would the same way about a DW logo head on a pacific kit.

drummert2k

maybe its just me but i wouldnt care if i saw someone playing a cb kit with and orange county head on it. who cares? i own a pearl masters custom and right now have the stock front kick head from that kit on a ludwig i use out. i got a free orange county bass head logo when i sent them a press pack for endorsements and put that on a head i had on a pearl forum i was using at the time. i just thought it looked cool. who cares what kind of kit you have compared to what front head you have.

this is like complaining about a guitarist using a fender strap for his squire guitar.

fas-tedz

My 2 cents... I own a set of each. I leave my DW's in the studio and let the Pacifics get knocked around in the clubs. There is a HUGE difference in the quality and especially in the SOUND of these 2 kits. I see kits for sale on E-bay and other auctions advertised as DW when they are in fact Pacific. If you have a Pacific kit, CALL it a Pacific kit. Volkswagens and Porsches are made by the same company too, but you wouldn't call your beetle a carrera....or maybe YOU would! LOL!!! :roll:

Gaddabout

fas-tedz":13wcvi6j said:
I see kits for sale on E-bay and other auctions advertised as DW when they are in fact Pacific.
Yep, that's a real no-no and real fraud. Experienced players shouldn't be fooled (they should know by the pictures), but I feel real bad for the newbies buying their first kit on those deals.