Yamaha

dbkman

I think yamaha makes the best drums around, and their snares are amazing too. Who else out there plays yamaha, and what's you're favorite size?

Steaky

I've got a Yammy Absolute Noveau snare 14x7 in black sparkle fade. Really warm deep sound, great in the studio. The problem is that its been built really cheap. The chrome has started flaking off the rims and the snare wires keep popping out of the collars that hold them in place. Ive had the drum for a few years and I did tour it so it has been used, but I'm just a little annoyed cause the Drum was not cheap! I think I may fit the drum with purecussion snare wires, expensive though.

ctyjones

My workhorse right now is a 14x7 Birch Custom Nouveau. Retrofitted it with the vintage wood hoops. It's pretty delectable.

skitch

Yamaha is very consistent! I wish that they still made the brass 3-1/2x14" piccolo like they used to, though.

screamkevin

My workhorse is a classic 6.5" x 14" Yamaha Steel snare, fitted with Puresound Varitone Heavy Snare Wires, an Evans Hazy 300 on the snare side, and an Evans Coated ST Dry on the batter side. Love it.

dbkman

anavrin. absolutely beautiful kit my friend. yamaha rocks dont they? i bet your kit sounds great. very cool dude ;)

dbkman

thats an awsome snare man. it really hits you in the gut, ill tell ya that. i like my stage custom snare though. it took me a while to find the sweet tuning and head combo but ive got it now. they're pretty dang good. but i really want a maple absolute series snare!

anavrinIV

Hack_and_Slash":2gv1vw7q said:
What heads are those, anavrinIV?
the 10, 12, and 16 were clear g2s and the 14 was a clear g1...all the resos were yamaha stocks. i bought it that way. a couple hours after the picture was taken every drum got reheaded except the snare and bass reso....coated g2s over clear g1s and an emad.

dbkman, my kit sounds amazing. i am anxiously awaiting christmas break when ill be able to use it again....its been packed away into a closet since the middle of august.

Hack_and_Slash

What evans heads are deeper than EC2s? I'm thinking about trying evans again. I don't want the hydraulics but just something deeper than EC2's.

dbkman

aw man that sucks that you cant play it often, you gotta break that monster free! haha, and i think it was hack and slash that was asking about the EC2's, they're pretty good as long as you dont tune them tight. they make thunder when they're loose but not tight. and anavrin, those yamaha batters that come on the reso side of your shells, thats what i use on mine still. all they are are emporer's with the yamaha logo. they're great. but i use remo emporer coateds on the batter side. hey and you guys should try the Evans EQ3 or 4. they are AMAZING. thats what i use and dude, they make the aquarian superkick 2 heads sound like paper. awsome kit again man!

dbkman

oh ummm, maybe G2 genera's? im not sure, the only evans heads i use from evans is the EQ3 bass drum head.

dbkman

ya they're great dude. on stage is definitely what they're meant for. they just scream when they're miced up and on stage.

Raider05

Big fan of Yamaha drums and hardware. I got a 7 piece kit about 18 months ago, and love em. Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau in blue sparkle. 24" x 18 kick, 14 x 5.5 snare, and 8,10,12,14,16 toms...all mounted on a Gibralter rack system. I also have the Flying dragon double bass pedal which is excellent IMO, and several stands etc.

body6u4rd

Yamaha Musashi Snares 13x6.5 are superhot. Best sounding snare I have ever played. Used to use a Pearl free floating maple 14x5