Yamaha or Pearl - Which would you choose?

RogersDrummer

Hello,

I'm wondering who would choose Yamaha and who would choose Pearl. They are both great companies with alot to offer. Although, I'm beggining to believe that Pearl's drum shells are better made.

cheers

drumjo7182

pearl, i own pearl and have played a few yamaha's. pearl wins hands down, why do you think they are so popular?

loop

drumjo7182":39r639y5 said:
pearl, i own pearl and have played a few yamaha's. pearl wins hands down, why do you think they are so popular?

Yamahas are very popular, too. And their Recordings are pretty dang good drums!(and most recorded) :)

jimbo

RogersDrummer":14exdefg said:
Hello,

I'm wondering who would choose Yamaha and who would choose Pearl. They are both great companies with alot to offer. Although, I'm beggining to believe that Pearl's drum shells are better made.

cheers
id go for yamaha.... i use 1, and jimmy chamberlain uses yamaha so that all u need to know

Bowmanator

Yamaha all the way, their air seal system of shell manufacturing is the best and ive never played a kit i didnt like. The beech custom and the oak custom stand out especially from almost anything ive played.

pearl08

id go for yamaha.... i use 1, and jimmy chamberlain uses yamaha so that all u need to know

yeah but look who plays pearl. joey jordison, eric singer. i play a pearl. i alwasy have. they are the best made.

yamaha_mike

Pfft who cares if Joey Jordinson uses Pearl. Look who uses Yamaha: Gadd, Weckl, Jones...three of the best drummers in the world...but that doesn't matter.

I'll take Yamaha over any other company out there. Their construction quality is beyond amazing. It's like an honor to be able to play Yamaha drums.

Mr bang boom

Ive been on and off this thing and finally made a profile and its pretty much to spread my hatred for pearl drums, ive been in the game for a while and although the hardware is pretty decent i just cant get into pearl at all, the only kits that sounds good are all the high end stuff where as yamaha, every level has a unique sound thats pretty good right out of the box sometimes, I go through snare drums like TP and still to date best snare ive ever played on was a yamaha birch custom absolute, if it wasnt for those stupid fucking noveau lugs id still have it. So yea yamaha all the way

gudsmorder

uhhh... how about sonor? probably my personal favorite... but if i were to choose pearl or yamaha, i wouldn't say that one is better than the other, they both bring a lot to the table. The refrence kits are really awesome, but yamaha's birch and maple kits are really just amazing, I've played yamaha birch and maple kits, and pearl birch and maple kits, and I have to say that the yamaha had much more tone. Pearl is for your average "rocker" while yamaha is for any drummer that is good. Joey jordison??? come on, hes horrible, take a look at derek roddy, that is a real metal drummer and he plays sonor. And even the metal drummers that do use pearl... they probably use triggers and samples anyways, so you don't even hear the real drum, its just there for looks on stage. I'm not a big fan of pearl, they do have a few nice snares and the refrence series is nice, but Yamaha, all the way down to the stage custom sounds awesome for the price, ive heard it recorded and seen many bands play with it live, and never has it ever sounded bad. Ive seen plenty of bands play with $3000 custom kits and pearl masters kits that sounded worse... so yeah. Yamaha

DrumHead15

Between these two: I prefer Pearl. From shells to finishes to hardware, I think they are the best. But this is always a personal preference issue. I just never liked the Yamaha Y.E.S.S. system drilling into the shell to mount it. Also, I prefer a rounded over BD hoop edge and Yamaha's is square. They do make a fine product and I would give them a fair listen if considering a new kit. Try not to put stock in who endorses who issues. March to your own drummer, yourself...

Sinky

Ive seen plenty of bands play with $3000 custom kits and pearl masters kits that sounded worse...
Fair enough, but a lot of sound is down to hardware and heads too, and also it's surprising how many drummers can't tune to save their life..

I totally agree with the joey jordison slating though, what a pratt.

I think Yamaha are nice but i'm a pearl man myself and prefer them, also Pearl's finishes are nicer IMO

(although yamaha snares are awesome and blow what pearl i've played out of the water)

Flatliner

can't use a yamaha, bring back too many bad memories of crappy gear at school. I'm sure there is some good stuff out there somewhere, but I just can't get the "I'm hitting cardboard no matter how I tune this piece of junk" sound out of my head. The name alone makes me feel a little uncomfortable right now.

ChevaDrummer

RogersDrummer":2fi6kwz2 said:
Hello,

cheers
In todays days, all drum companies are good. Everyone is pretty much caught up with technology that nobody really makes better drums unless you're a crappy company like CB700 or something like that. Every company uses the same woods. Every company makes free floating toms. What it comes down to now is just personal preference with hardware & price. I'm sure that there isn't one drummer on this forum who wouldn't take an endorsement by a company like Peace Drums or Spaun Drums. So when it comes down to Pearl & Yamaha, you'll get a great drum kit no matter who you pick. Specially if you buy the more top of the line product from either company.

Erik

1st of all:
"I am NOT here to make any enemies!!!!"

2nd: I have to agree with the Yamaha folk.
Don't get me wrong, almost every drum-set company has
a great sounding set somewhere. But if we are talking about
'over all drum-sets'-

To me it seemed (my opinion here so please don't burn down
my house) that Pearl would go out of their way to endorse the
4/4 hard rock drummers ... too many to list here, but you know,
whom the kids would listen to / hook 'em while they are young.
--------Yamaha on the other hand would just make great drums
and the greats would use them- then later on in life the company
would endorse them for not only their GREATNESS, but their loyalty.

I do not use Yamaha or Pearl, though I have used both in the past.
I use Tama drums for their OPEN / VERY Warm sound (without sounding
like the cardboard boxes of the 80's.) The only company kits I have
heard that have this great quality have been Sonor, Tama & Yamaha.

I think Sonor gets their wood from the blackforest in Germany-
Tama & Yamaha get some kind of birch/maple/basswood from the woods
of Japan. And Pearl (this is what I heard/I may be wrong- please don't
torch my house, it's not even my house!) gets their wood imported
from factories in China as they can not cut down anymore trees on the
island of Taiwan.

It is sad to see that many drum companies (tama, Ludwig & yamaha included) are going to Taiwan for less cost- although tama & yamaha's
top models are still made in Japan the same way.

I think ANY drum set can sound great if you put some effort
into it. The over all sound of Pearl to me always sounded...
like a beginners set though. And I was never a fan of their hardware-
though many are.

Tama & Yamaha have the best drummers in the world behind them.
Portnoy, Gadd, Copeland, Weckyl, Phillips, Coliuta, Bruford, Aronoff,
etc....

If you want to hear some great sounding Pearl drums,
2 recordings that come to mind are:
"Sister Christian" by Night Ranger (oh come on, you know this one!)
and a much better sounding Pearl kit is on:
"Hearts on Fire" by John Cafferty & the beaver brown band.
(Yes the song in Rocky IV) (and any dennis chambers stuff)
- shoot i have to go now-
here is some ammo for the pearl people-
I LOVE jeff Porcaro!

downshifter99

OK....Yamaha make some good stuff(Jimmy Chamberlin is awesome)

Dennis Chambers,Chad Smith & various other "known" drummers are down with Pearl...there are bad-ass drummers with EVERY manufacturer.

I'm a Pearl man and have been for the last 10 out of 18 years of drumming.
Their hardware is VERY strong,MASSIVE amounts of adjustments on their/my Powershifter Eliminator pedals/Hi Hat stand...which is able to let me FULLY fine tune my feel.

Their drums are stellar...(upper line Exports on up).
I have an ELX Select and am VERY happy with them.I am thogh,going to up-grade to a Reference set....you cannot(in my opinion and anyone else that does research)barley get a better shell/hardware than the Reference(only 8% of custom drum manufacturers can come close).

I know MANY of you will not agree with me but,THAT is one of many things about being a drummer that's so cool...freedom.

No one is wrong....they are just right for themselves.

Cheers and rim-shoot it to hell!!! :twisted:

Sweet Dog

downshifter99":d7ggtixj said:
OK....Yamaha make some good stuff(Jimmy Chamberlin is awesome)

Dennis Chambers,Chad Smith & various other "known" drummers are down with Pearl...there are bad-ass drummers with EVERY manufacturer.

I'm a Pearl man and have been for the last 10 out of 18 years of drumming.
Their hardware is VERY strong,MASSIVE amounts of adjustments on their/my Powershifter Eliminator pedals/Hi Hat stand...which is able to let me FULLY fine tune my feel.

Their drums are stellar...(upper line Exports on up).
I have an ELX Select and am VERY happy with them.I am thogh,going to up-grade to a Reference set....you cannot(in my opinion and anyone else that does research)barley get a better shell/hardware than the Reference(only 8% of custom drum manufacturers can come close).

I know MANY of you will not agree with me but,THAT is one of many things about being a drummer that's so cool...freedom.

No one is wrong....they are just right for themselves.

Cheers and rim-shoot it to hell!!! :twisted:
I got to go with Yamaha, I think they hold up better. If I had the option
of getting either or, I would choose Yamaha, hands down.

RogersDrummer

In response to the comment about Yamaha's Y.E.S.S. mounting system, they drill into the shell at the "nodal" point. this is where the shell vibrates the least. It has been proven to have no effect on the tone or resonance that is produced by the drum.

In my opinion, this is a superior way of handling the mounting system. Most other systems, such as the other types that most other companies use, put unneeded tension on the lugs. This can cause the drum to de-tune. There has been cases where the tension rods themselves have been bent out of shape.

Also, drilling into the shell really isn't that big of a deal. I think its a huge marketing scam for that "minimal shell contact" bs. Its just a ploy to make people think that it will resonate better. I've seen first hand that this is not the case. Whether your lugs have two bolts or one, or if there are rubber spacers between the lugs or not, if it does effect the sustain of the drum, your certainly not going to hear it when your playing in a band.

drummert2k

I have a pearl masters custom mmx and recently picked up a ludwig accent cs custom to use as a beater kit on tour so i didnt destroy my "good" kit. it was the first time i've ever used a ludwig out live and even though it was a low line kit, it sounded great on the stage and even better pumpin through the PA.

as far as which i like more, i dont know. i've used pearl forums, exports, and masters customs so i know from experience that pearl doesnt make a bad kit. even their low line stuff is tourable and holds up and can sound good with the right heads.

i've played (messed around) on a friends ludwig accent and for the live of me couldnt get it to sound good. i could get even tones down the drums and a thumpy kick but thats it. as far as actual warm nice tones, it just want happening. my accent cs custom (which isnt much higher on the line than the accent) on the other hand, is going to be seeing quite a few more shows.

so to me it looks like the bottom of the line ludwigs would be good beginner kits but not good for touring use and lots of playing out. the pear bottom of the line kits (forum for example) i have taken of 4 or 5 tours using the same kit before i got the masters custom.

My final answer........ I've been a pearl guy for years now but buying this accent cs really got me hooked on ludwig

stands and pedals on the other hand. im going with pearl on that.