Yamaha gigmaker or Sonor F 507?

MarcusS

Hi Everyone, greet's from Serbia :)

I am buying my first kit, and i just want to be new one. Somehow, i never liked to buy a second hand stuff, so it's same with drums. I like to be the forst owner, nevermind.

I have budget of modest 500 euro's. For that money, i found that two models from the topic title. Sonor 507 and Yamaha gigmaker. There are so few informations about gigmaker, and reviews. If anyone know for some information or that kind, please, let me know..

So, sonor 507 comes in studio and stage version. Stage is with 22.12.13.16 combination, studio with 20.10.12.14

So, my quetions are:

Can i play hard rock and some heavy metal with so "small" measures? Somehow, i think that bigger tom's give me better sound for that kind of music.

Or to go for Yamaha (http://www.mitros-music.com/products/18 ... igmaker/1/), it's dimensions are 22.12.13.16?

If anyone can give me some informations about yamaha, i mean on this model.

Yamaha is 500e, sonor 450 :)

I appreciate any kind of help, and greets 1 more time :)

anavrinIV

you can most definately play hard music on smaller drums. a 10/12/14 is generally called a fusion setup and it is preferred by many for its even tom spacing. the 20" bass drum is also great, imo anyway. it has a lot of punch and attack with a little less boom, great for if you want to go fast or have a lot of power. it wont sound as big as physically bigger drums but they sound great...in fact if i could have gotten one with my yamahas i would have.

the best way to decide what kit to buy is to play them and find out for yourself. if that isnt an option then either flip a coin or go with the one with better sizes, finishes, price, whatever youre looking for. both are quality products and its all up to you.

screamkevin

Greetings, Marcus, and welcome to the board!

As far as your questions go, I am a Yamaha guy, but both Yamaha and Sonor are great companies with fine products. The smaller sizes on the Sonor kit don't matter, as anavrinIV said, they are fusion sizes that many drummers (even in the type of music you are playing) are going with. The 20" Sonor bass drum will have a tighter, more focused sound, but you can still get fairly deep tones from the smaller toms just by paying attention to your tuning.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase!

MarcusS

Hey Guys, tnx for replies ;)

I'am considering idea to go for sonor, because of 50e save, so i can purchase ride crash stand, just one cymbal stand goes with set.. I talked to some guys that have that model /or older - 505/ and they all are very satisfied. I olso found few reviews, and all of them are possitive in every way except snare drum - all of them agree that snare is the weakest part of set. But speaking of Yamaha - absolutely one user review i just cant find, and i always believe them the most. :(

So, tnx one more time, at monday i am going to store to see sonor, please, any advices and opinions are more than welcomme! :)

Zim

MarcusS":1rceg1mk said:
Hey Guys, tnx for replies ;)

I'am considering idea to go for sonor, because of 50e save, so i can purchase ride crash stand, just one cymbal stand goes with set.. I talked to some guys that have that model /or older - 505/ and they all are very satisfied. I olso found few reviews, and all of them are possitive in every way except snare drum - all of them agree that snare is the weakest part of set. But speaking of Yamaha - absolutely one user review i just cant find, and i always believe them the most. :(

So, tnx one more time, at monday i am going to store to see sonor, please, any advices and opinions are more than welcomme! :)

I play sonor exclusivly and have 2 sonors go w/ sonor myspace.com/ driven32548 I have my 3 drum kits posted in picture form also I found the 10 12 14 combonition in tom sizes made the tuning easier than throwing the 13 into a 12 14 set up.