Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive

The Heel

I've been checking these pedals out, and am thinking of adding it to my pedal collection. I always loved Speed Kings, and now am interested in the double version of Yamaha's Flying Dragon pedal direct drive pedal.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks.

Alcyon

I tried em, didn't like em, but then I'm used to chain drive. I'd probably be way faster if I played direct drive all the time.

Shalaq

You'd be faster if you practised more :) good pedals won't make you faster. They just won't slow you down :)

Alcyon

The chain drive feel is different though, I mean, they return differently after being kicked than direct drives do.

Qbs

The Heel: I've played on the dragon with direct drive and IMO it's the second best pedal I've ever played (the best being EDP by Premier) and I'm confident that someday I'm gonna buy it :)
You might also want to check out Gibraltar's new INtruder I've heard that is has the same smooth feel (I'm talking only about the direct drive versions)

zen_drummer

The Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive is a great lower budget direct drive pedal. While it's no substitute for the Trick or Axis pedals, it's a cost effective way to get into a great feeling direct drive pedal for lower bucks.

The Heel

See I've gone through an Axis long board. It just wasnt for me. I didnt feel it had enough meat for me, and when I changed beaters... man that was the end of it. Its one of the few things I've ever bought that had to do with drums that I actually sold.

I know most people love them... but its just not for me. Maybe I had too high of expectations. When I couldnt get it to feel the way I wanted I thought maybe I was just an idiot who even after all of these years couldnt get this pedal adjusted right. So I had three different drummers that I respected adjust the pedal to what they thought felt the best... still I just didnt like the feel of it.

I'm just gonna have to try one of these out, because if its a similar feel to the axis pedals I had... then I'm not interested in it.

The trick pedal looks interesting... but like the boa pedal I'm going to give it about two years before I even contemplate buying it. I want to see how it holds up for other people first.

zen_drummer

The Heel":d3bfpich said:
See I've gone through an Axis long board. It just wasnt for me.

I know most people love them... but its just not for me. Maybe I had too high of expectations.

I'm just gonna have to try one of these out, because if its a similar feel to the axis pedals I had... then I'm not interested in it.

The trick pedal looks interesting... but like the boa pedal I'm going to give it about two years before I even contemplate buying it. I want to see how it holds up for other people first.
Here's the thing with pedals, you're going to like what you like, and there may be no rhyme or reason as to why you like it.

I grew up on speed kings... A direct drive pedal. I loved the way they feel because it's what I learned on. Of course they squeak and rattle and they SUCK in the studio because the engineers and producers hate dealing with the noises. So, the next best thing were chain drive pedals, and we can all agree, win lose or draw, they don't feel the same at ALL!

So along comes AXIS and THEY are direct drive and to me feel better than any chain drive.

Trick is the next step beyond that. As far as waiting a few years to get one, if you see one up close and really examine it, you'll see that they will last the rest of your life. Or longer.

Now, the Yamaha direct drive pedal is not as good as the Axis or the Trick, but it's darn good. Especially for the money!

What I don't like about a particular pedal of ANY brand may be the very thing that you LOVE about one. I would never tell you what kind of drumsticks to use, and I spend very little time discussing drum heads because these, just like direct drive vs. chain drive, are absolutely personal preferences.

At the end of the day, if you're dealing with a well constructed pedal that isn't going to fall apart, the rest of it comes down to what feels good to you.

I think we can all agree... pedals that feel good, but fall apart, are no bargain in the long run. I should mention, the other day, a salesman at my local (but not locally owned) mega-music-retailer has over 15 DW pedals in the back room that are busted waiting for parts. Many of them have bad hinges! I have never had a pedal hinge fail in my life on even the CHEAPEST pedal! (once again, in my opinion, yet reason to avoid that brand)