Xfactor E- Drums

Xfactor

New member
O.K Guys I have been here long enough to know that some of you are full of knowledge and have played for quite some time. I am seeking some honest and real opinions on a buisness I have just opened. The company is called X Factor Drums. Just so you know this is not a advertisment , it is meant to be a focus group so I improve and get real feedback from real drummers other than myself and current customers. What I am offering is basically full size E-drum set ups. By the way I dont just want opinions from all the guys playing E-Drums I want the opinions from the acoustic players as well. As some of you know I have been playing for about 17 years. The last 4 years I have been playing strickly E-Drums. I have owned some high end kits including roland Td-8-Td-10 as well as the top of the line Hart dynamics kits. After playing these kits for a few years I made a list of things I would like to change. This eventually lead me to creating my own company that offers E-drum kits with the things I felt needed to be addressed. The first thing I hated about E-drums is the fact they look like sh@$. I love the way an acoustuc kit looks and feels when you are behind it. So this is the first thing I changed. I also wanted to be able to have the same choices I would get if I ordered a custom acoustic set. By this I mean color, drum sizes and hardware choices ect.... So Thats what I offer. By the way alot of people say that e-drums are portable beacuse of their size. I agree but I became a drummer knowing that it would not be easy to move. Lets face it if I wanted to play a insturment that was easy to move I would play a guitar or a harmonic. In any event I would deffinatly have chosen an e-kit that looked identical to an acoustic kit if one where available at the time I purchased.
i had also noticed a small problem in the fact that the triggers where hard mounted to the drum and because of this when I hit the shell or stand the drum was mounted on, it would trigger the drumm (or drums) that where on it. So I came up with a suspened triggering system(pat. pending) that basically addressed this issue you can now hit the shell or stand fairly hard without this ever being an issue. So I need your feedback. Let me know what you think. I would like to know any idea's you may have to improve my kits. Thank you very much for your time. Cheers.
 

loop

New member
Do you make your own modules? If so, try to work on cymbal samples.


PS - good luck with your business!
 

Scott_Hurford

New member
Hey there, this new company of yours sounds quite interesting, i like it. You say u want some opinions about making your e-drums look better? Unfortunatly i havn't got much knowledge about E-drums, since i am a stricktly acoustic drum user, but any ideas that come to mind, i will be sure to let you know of them okay...good luck

~Scott~
 

Dale

New member
Xfactor":39rexv08 said:
O.K Guys I have been here long enough to know that some of you are full of knowledge and have played for quite some time. I am seeking some honest and real opinions on a buisness I have just opened. The company is called X Factor Drums. Just so you know this is not a advertisment , it is meant to be a focus group so I improve and get real feedback from real drummers other than myself and current customers. What I am offering is basically full size E-drum set ups. By the way I dont just want opinions from all the guys playing E-Drums I want the opinions from the acoustic players as well. As some of you know I have been playing for about 17 years. The last 4 years I have been playing strickly E-Drums. I have owned some high end kits including roland Td-8-Td-10 as well as the top of the line Hart dynamics kits. After playing these kits for a few years I made a list of things I would like to change. This eventually lead me to creating my own company that offers E-drum kits with the things I felt needed to be addressed. The first thing I hated about E-drums is the fact they look like sh@$. I love the way an acoustuc kit looks and feels when you are behind it. So this is the first thing I changed. I also wanted to be able to have the same choices I would get if I ordered a custom acoustic set. By this I mean color, drum sizes and hardware choices ect.... So Thats what I offer. By the way alot of people say that e-drums are portable beacuse of their size. I agree but I became a drummer knowing that it would not be easy to move. Lets face it if I wanted to play a insturment that was easy to move I would play a guitar or a harmonic. In any event I would deffinatly have chosen an e-kit that looked identical to an acoustic kit if one where available at the time I purchased.
i had also noticed a small problem in the fact that the triggers where hard mounted to the drum and because of this when I hit the shell or stand the drum was mounted on, it would trigger the drumm (or drums) that where on it. So I came up with a suspened triggering system(pat. pending) that basically addressed this issue you can now hit the shell or stand fairly hard without this ever being an issue. So I need your feedback. Let me know what you think. I would like to know any idea's you may have to improve my kits. Thank you very much for your time. Cheers.
Would it be possible for you to itemise your list of questions you want answered? I've read this post a few times and remain confused.
 

Shalaq

New member
http://www.drumsmylife.com/album_page.php?pic_id=34
This is what I'd like my E-kit to look like. Nice finish, biggest deph being 7 inches, small kit. Personally I think that getting electronic drums that look like acoustic drums is not cool. Getting an E-kit that looks modern is better. One advice I could give you is this- make those kits look like manhatan style kits, or the Manu Katche kit- they look sweet.
 

Xfactor

New member
loop":3s5vceu0 said:
Do you make your own modules? If so, try to work on cymbal samples.


PS - good luck with your business!
Thanks for the input. I do not currently make e-cymbals but I considering offering my own. I currently offer smart tirigger cymblas with my kit because I find them extremely accurate as far as playabliity. A fro module I offer Alesis and Roland modules..to manufacture my own and still compete with the huge players would be impossible at this point. Thanks again
 

Xfactor

New member
Scott_Hurford":w6qz29su said:
Hey there, this new company of yours sounds quite interesting, i like it. You say u want some opinions about making your e-drums look better? Unfortunatly i havn't got much knowledge about E-drums, since i am a stricktly acoustic drum user, but any ideas that come to mind, i will be sure to let you know of them okay...good luck

~Scott~
Hey Scott,Thanks very much and dont hesitate to post ideas as they come to you. Cheers
 

Xfactor

New member
Would it be possible for you to itemise your list of questions you want answered? I've read this post a few times and remain confused.[/quote]


Sure sorry for the conffusion. Her aare some basic question I am hoping to get answered.
1. If you played E-drums would you like the ability to customize them in the same manner as you would and acoustic kit?
2. Do you feel the look of an acoustic kit is more appealing than the look of current E-Drum kits?
3. Would you consider the look for the current E-Drum kits a draw back to your choice to purchase(if you were consdiering to do so)?
4. If you have ever played and e-drum kit did it was unfamiliar or uncomfortable when you sat behind it?
5. Do you feel more comfortable behind an acoustic kit than and e-drum kit?
6.What do you think of a floating e-drum trigger that would eliminate the triggering you get when the rack, drum shell or drum stand is struck?
What are your main reassons you would NOT buy an e-drum kit?
7.What are your main reassons you WOULD buy an e-drum kit?
8.What things would you change to the current market e-drum kits if you could?

Thats the bulk of the questions i wouls like answered. But please feel free to openly coment on any thing you feel is related. thank you
 

Xfactor

New member
Shalaq":2oss76kn said:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/album_page.php?pic_id=34
This is what I'd like my E-kit to look like. Nice finish, biggest deph being 7 inches, small kit. Personally I think that getting electronic drums that look like acoustic drums is not cool. Getting an E-kit that looks modern is better. One advice I could give you is this- make those kits look like manhatan style kits, or the Manu Katche kit- they look sweet.

Gottcha you seem to like the small shell sizes. So Maybe I should offer a 5" deep shell package as an option? Thanks.
Just one question...why do you feel it is "not cool" to make e-drums look like acoustic kits? Do you like the look of acoustic kits?Thanks again
 

m

New member
the main thing I'd be curious about is the trigger design and reliability.
Folks have been converting A's into E-kits for quite a while now, it is definitely a viable market.

Better-looking Edrums would be great.
What would really sell me on it would be the functionality- the implementation of the triggers and if they'd be able to take advantage of all the features of modern modules.

Would definitely be interested in hearing more.
 

Xfactor

New member
m":1o0mawxp said:
the main thing I'd be curious about is the trigger design and reliability.
Folks have been converting A's into E-kits for quite a while now, it is definitely a viable market.

Better-looking Edrums would be great.
What would really sell me on it would be the functionality- the implementation of the triggers and if they'd be able to take advantage of all the features of modern modules.

Would definitely be interested in hearing more.
Great feedback. So far the triggers have held up very well. I did have some issue wih preloading the trigger enough to stop any bounce from a heavy hitter but that has now been address. I have used a Td-8, Td,10 Td-12 and currently a Td20 with these triggers and all the features work well from including things like mask,scan time,sensitivity ect..ect... I am alwasy looking for new ways to improve my product so this forum is really giving ne some great ideas. Thanks again for your feed back.
 

Shalaq

New member
I love the looks of an acoustic drum kit. But that's the point- an E- kit should look cool, but still like an E-kit.
BTW I have all drum sizes from 8 to 18 :) and currently use 22 kick, 12 16 18 toms.
I like all drums regardless of size.
 

Xfactor

New member
Shalaq":3elc6d1x said:
I love the looks of an acoustic drum kit. But that's the point- an E- kit should look cool, but still like an E-kit.
BTW I have all drum sizes from 8 to 18 :) and currently use 22 kick, 12 16 18 toms.
I like all drums regardless of size.
Gottcha thanks for the input.
 

Dale

New member
Xfactor":3h11z9s8 said:
Would it be possible for you to itemise your list of questions you want answered? I've read this post a few times and remain confused.

Sure sorry for the conffusion. Her aare some basic question I am hoping to get answered.
1. If you played E-drums would you like the ability to customize them in the same manner as you would and acoustic kit?
2. Do you feel the look of an acoustic kit is more appealing than the look of current E-Drum kits?
3. Would you consider the look for the current E-Drum kits a draw back to your choice to purchase(if you were consdiering to do so)?
4. If you have ever played and e-drum kit did it was unfamiliar or uncomfortable when you sat behind it?
5. Do you feel more comfortable behind an acoustic kit than and e-drum kit?
6.What do you think of a floating e-drum trigger that would eliminate the triggering you get when the rack, drum shell or drum stand is struck?
What are your main reassons you would NOT buy an e-drum kit?
7.What are your main reassons you WOULD buy an e-drum kit?
8.What things would you change to the current market e-drum kits if you could?

Thats the bulk of the questions i wouls like answered. But please feel free to openly coment on any thing you feel is related. thank you[/quote]

1, a: Possibly. I might like them customised. But unless they were seriously ugly I doubt I'd care all that much.

2, a: Yes, I do prefer the look of accoustic drums, but I don't like electronic drums that look like accoustic drums.

3, a: My main concern is sound. My choice would depend upon what each outfit offered me in the sound choices. As well as being hard wearing and durable.

4, a: Not really. They feel like practice kits.

5, a: No. They feel the same to me.

6, a: That sounds like a good idea.

7, a: Sound choices to either add to a drum set or percussion set. I'd like to be able to sample sounds and add them to it.

8, a: Haven't thought about it.

IHTH.
 

Xfactor

New member
loop":w3uxkv0j said:
I think that small size of an E-kit is one of its main advantages. Think about that :)
Well that is certainly one advantage, Although It was never a factor when I bought my first e-kit. I feel that the fact that I can have a perfectly sampled maple kit one song and a birch kit the next song and a set of timbalas after that ..ect ect is far more of a benifit to me than the size. But then again thats just me. I did a little homework and found out that it would cost somewhere around $875,000- 1mil. dollars to buy each of the sampled items (kits and percussion) in the TD-8 drum module. This would depend on the quality you purchased of course. But if you then talk about moving all this equipment...then E-drums no matter what size are definately portable compared to the alternative. :) Thanks for the input.
 

chris

New member
I've been useing roland drums for recording, and think they sound great quick set up, saves on studio time, no mics, no time spent on tuming,

my acoustic set is a GMS the grand master series. 6-piece ,
 

Xfactor

New member
chris":1zk4hnyu said:
I've been useing roland drums for recording, and think they sound great quick set up, saves on studio time, no mics, no time spent on tuming,

my acoustic set is a GMS the grand master series. 6-piece ,

Hey, I really liked the GMS I played once. Nice kits. I suppose if i ever went back to acoustic I would most likely choose an Orion Mapex kit. Thanks for the input.
 

Scott_Hurford

New member
Xfactor":8p5288pz said:
Would it be possible for you to itemise your list of questions you want answered? I've read this post a few times and remain confused.

Sure sorry for the conffusion. Her aare some basic question I am hoping to get answered.

1. If you played E-drums would you like the ability to customize them in the same manner as you would and acoustic kit?
2. Do you feel the look of an acoustic kit is more appealing than the look of current E-Drum kits?
3. Would you consider the look for the current E-Drum kits a draw back to your choice to purchase(if you were consdiering to do so)?
4. If you have ever played and e-drum kit did it was unfamiliar or uncomfortable when you sat behind it?
5. Do you feel more comfortable behind an acoustic kit than and e-drum kit?
6.What do you think of a floating e-drum trigger that would eliminate the triggering you get when the rack, drum shell or drum stand is struck?
What are your main reassons you would NOT buy an e-drum kit?
7.What are your main reassons you WOULD buy an e-drum kit?
8.What things would you change to the current market e-drum kits if you could?

Thats the bulk of the questions i wouls like answered. But please feel free to openly coment on any thing you feel is related. thank you


Answers;

1. yes the ability to customize an e kit would be very benificial, you could go into more depth of your purchase.

2. the look of an acoustic drum cannot be beaten in my opinion, but if an E-kit could be made into the same shapeand look as an acoustic kit, tht would make a huge difference into me interests of e-kits.

3. when i see e-kits availiable for purchase in my local music shop, they dont appeal to me at all, if i was to purchase one, the look of one may put me off.

4. they are just a comfortable as acoustic kits in my opinion :) the only difference is size and positioning.

5. acoustic kits just feel right to me, e-kits seem a bit weak to me, however, saying tht i love the sounds they can produce, especially the classic 80's snare sound you can get outa them :)

6. the reasons i wouldnt buy an e-kit would be ; their to weak to me compared to an acoustic. you can position them the same as a normal kit. most e-kits dont look to easy on the eyes

7. the reasons i would buy an e-kit would be; they are very compatable. easy transportable. can be played in quite condisions

8. i would make them look better, if you could make one tht looks like a top quality acoustic kit but has the sound and features of an e-kit, then i would consider buying one.
as far as sound quality goes, e-kits sound gr8.


Hope that answers some of your questions. i hope thts helped in some ways...
Good Luck with the E-kits. you have my support.

~Scott~
 
Top