Wuhan China Cymbals

Ludwig24

I received my 18" and 12" China Cymbals today from Musicians Friend and well I'm somewhat disappointed. First off, they came in quite poor condition. It looks like something has tore up the middle of the large one pretty bad and the small one has various pings and scratches. Then, I mounted them on 2 boom stands and they don't really seem to fit or sound right but that could be my fault.

How do you play these correctly? Just the end of the stick on the end of the Cymbal or what? I don't have any prior experience with Chinas except that I Love the way they sound and I want the best out of them so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mrgreenjeans2234

well to address the first issue,
wuhan makes amazing chinas, and from what i know some good crashs too.
anyways they are hand hammered and made, so they will come looking like some did take a hammer and beat the crap out of it.
because literaly thats what happend.haha. but it makes it sound much more trashier which is the sound one would really hope to find in a china.imho
so the pings and stuff are meant to be there. however on the same note if it doesnt look like a hand hammering and it looks like some body just took the cymbal and a knife and just started jabbing it then that might be a shipping flaw and or musicans friend fault, if its that you should most likly send it back and get them replaced assuming you still have the reciept. this might explain why you think your getting a bad sound,

issue 2: chinas are meant to be a trashy sounding cymbal, they project beautifuly with a short decay. so they are suppose to sound a bit off, but imo thats what makes them even more better. keep in mind however that chinas are meant to be an effect cymbal. just something to strike to add more sounds to your set.
they arnt really meant to ride on or anything just a simple crash of them while playing will do the trick.

issue 3: the best place to strike the china is right at the point where it starts to bend downwards, thats where i get my best sound. but experiment around a little with striking places to find what you like the best. however i do advice you against flipping the china upside down, or bellside up. if you do this then youll be hitting the edge this will cause it to crack faster. so you do want the china where the bell is facing down.

wuhan makes fantastic trashy amazing sounding chinas you made a great investment, but it is your set so its really your call on what to do with them but i thought id just throw my 2 cents out there.

GypoDrummer

mrgreenjeans2234":3bn7p5qk said:
issue 3: the best place to strike the china is right at the point where it starts to bend downwards, thats where i get my best sound. but experiment around a little with striking places to find what you like the best. however i do advice you against flipping the china upside down, or bellside up. if you do this then youll be hitting the edge this will cause it to crack faster. so you do want the china where the bell is facing down.
could u send me a picture of which way the china is to be facing? when my band does a practise at the guitarists house i use his kit and he does have a china... i like to flip it "upside down" to me, cause it makes a louder sound, but im not sure wat upside down is anymore heh...

mrgreenjeans2234

haha, no problem at all, yeah thinking in china cymbal relations things tend to be upside down.

lol anyways

thats the side you want to be hitting. think of it this way. you want to he hitting the side that look like a giant bowl.

hopes this helps.

SGarrett

^^^ Yep, that's how it's supposed to go on the stand.

As far as what you do with it, whatever you want. The harder you hit a Wuhan the better it sounds. You can ride on them, it just depends on what the music's doing. You just have to play around with them.

GypoDrummer

mrgreenjeans2234":8rl9aer0 said:
haha, no problem at all, yeah thinking in china cymbal relations things tend to be upside down.

lol anyways

thats the side you want to be hitting. think of it this way. you want to he hitting the side that look like a giant bowl.

hopes this helps.
sweet thanks, yeh thats wat i meant by "upside down" cause thats the oposite to wat the guitarist was using, and i was introduced to it the other way heh...

SGarrett

Wuhans are traditional Chinese crash cymbals used for parades and the like. That's why they have that funky bell that kinda looks like a hand grip.

If you use a non-traditional china with either a "normal" or flat bell, you can mount it either way. Bernard Purdie mounts his china like his other cymbals and rides on it with the tip of his stick. The way he uses his china is very musical.

my advice would be get an idea of what you want for a sound first, then go to either sabian.com or zildjian.com (or whatever brand you want) and go to the "sound check" option under cymbals and see what sound you like the best. not every site has a soundcheck option but i know zildjian and sabian do. that way, you know the exact sound (or close enough) that you are going to get when you buy that cymbal. it's sometimes hard to go by what other people think the sound is for or what the "best" cymbal is. but i hope that helped.

SGarrett

starclassic_drummer":1uktphmc said:
my advice would be get an idea of what you want for a sound first, then go to either sabian.com or zildjian.com (or whatever brand you want) and go to the "sound check" option under cymbals and see what sound you like the best. not every site has a soundcheck option but i know zildjian and sabian do. that way, you know the exact sound (or close enough) that you are going to get when you buy that cymbal. it's sometimes hard to go by what other people think the sound is for or what the "best" cymbal is. but i hope that helped.
The Jia is the closest thing either Sabian or Zildjian have to the sound of a Wuhan china. Good idea though.