wtf is a bomb blast??

alwaysdrummetal

I was reading an interview with Josh Kulick, the drummer from the band Through The Eyes Of The Dead, and he said using gravity blasts and bomb blasts help him a lot with his speed. I kno how to do gravity rolls/blasts but I don't kno what the hell a bomb blast is. I searched online yet all I found was stuff about explosions. Could someone tell me what it is and how to do it.
Btw: Josh Kulick is an extremely fast drummer, if anyone wants to hear rediculous double bass listen to the song "Two Inches From A Main Artery" by Through the eyes of the dead. Fastest is in the middle of the song at the breakdown

Benhamin

hes is an amazing speed demon
the band is great too
bomb blast is probably slang or just a different hes using
for what you said.

Howepirate

alwaysdrummetal":iyigl3bo said:
I was reading an interview with Josh Kulick, the drummer from the band Through The Eyes Of The Dead, and he said using gravity blasts and bomb blasts help him a lot with his speed. I kno how to do gravity rolls/blasts but I don't kno what the hell a bomb blast is. I searched online yet all I found was stuff about explosions. Could someone tell me what it is and how to do it.
Btw: Josh Kulick is an extremely fast drummer, if anyone wants to hear rediculous double bass listen to the song "Two Inches From A Main Artery" by Through the eyes of the dead. Fastest is in the middle of the song at the breakdown
i can play two inches from a main artery...i love erratic perception by them as well...

i believe bomb blasts are right hand snare left hand hi-hat and both going the same speed blasting...correct me if im wrong

Eiren

Gravity blasts and bomb blasts are types of blast beats.

As I understand there are a few types of blast beats out there:

Gravity blast: hitting the rim and snare head at the same time by using the snare rim as a pivot

Traditional blast: single kick and alternating hands.

Bomb blast: 16th notes with all four limbs with the snare on the downbeats and your cymbal on the offbeats.

Double bass blast: Both hands together playing in unison on the 8th notes while your feet are playing 16th notes.

One kick blast: Both your hands and your right foot playing in unison doing 16th notes.

You can make them slightly more interesting (lots of people are against blasts) by making them polyrhythmic, or by doing them in 6/8 to add some extra creativity there.

drummert2k

Eiren":20tcgy7h said:

Gravity blast: hitting the rim and snare head at the same time by using the snare rim as a pivot

Bomb blast: 16th notes with all four limbs with the snare on the downbeats and your cymbal on the offbeats.

Double bass blast: Both hands together playing in unison on the 8th notes while your feet are playing 16th notes.

One kick blast: Both your hands and your right foot playing in unison doing 16th notes.

You can make them slightly more interesting (lots of people are against blasts) by making them polyrhythmic, or by doing them in 6/8 to add some extra creativity there.
sounds like someone put way to much time into naming something these things. either way. its just differant fast parts. no feeling or creativity. just dumb "blast beats"

Howepirate

drummert2k":c5sw4tls said:
Eiren":c5sw4tls said:

sounds like someone put way to much time into naming something these things. either way. its just differant fast parts. no feeling or creativity. just dumb "blast beats"

What would you feel would fit better in Death Metal music...some sissy latin groove? stfu dude this is metal!

drummert2k

Howepirate":2ryhrub5 said:
What would you feel would fit better in Death Metal music...some sissy latin groove? stfu dude this is metal!
i never said it didnt fit. i just think its dumb.

i feel that there are too many drummers out there who pride themselves on how fast they can blast and double kick and can play absolutely nothing else on the kit well. only fast, double kicking and blasting.

this to me gives a bad rep to death metal drummers who really do know their indtrument in a musical sense rather than just a speed sense.

these are all just opinions, but i've just seen way to many drummers who focus only on blasting and kicking speed. to me, this takes no talent or creativity.... but thats just me

drummert2k

Rockula!":aq1jewxt said:
That applies to EVERY genre
I bet your stuff is dumb too
depends what stuff you're talking about. im sure some of it may be dumb to some people but you're gonna have to be a little more specific.

just because i said it was dumb doesnt mean its written in the bible or anything. dont get your nuts in a knot. its called an opinion, most people have one.

Damagedrummer

drummert2k":2c2ep03l said:
Howepirate":2c2ep03l said:
i never said it didnt fit. i just think its dumb.

i feel that there are too many drummers out there who pride themselves on how fast they can blast and double kick and can play absolutely nothing else on the kit well. only fast, double kicking and blasting.

this to me gives a bad rep to death metal drummers who really do know their indtrument in a musical sense rather than just a speed sense.

these are all just opinions, but i've just seen way to many drummers who focus only on blasting and kicking speed. to me, this takes no talent or creativity.... but thats just me

Why is it always that when the topic goes about speed or double bass, that the creativity is gone?! That's bullshit if you ask me. General technique isn't bullshit, it's a tool, and to me so is speed. And if you listnen closly to drummers like Tony Laureano, George Kollias of Hellhammer or any fast drummer, you'll here that it's not only speed. Those guys are extremly creative with the music they play, and if you can't listnen through the wall of guitars, grunts and double bass, the music isn't for you! You just need to listnen to the music a few times and then you'll here the structure and the song the way it was ment to be heard. THEN you'll here creativity! And I don't know any drummer, that can play that fast, without having a great technique. And if you have that technique, you can play anything you want, including jazz or what ever. I think great jazzdrummers could also play deathmetal, but they just choose not to. So why is it that when someone does, when someone tries to push the bounderies of fast drumming, it's not creative anymore. Drumming is and will always be creative, doesn't matter if you play fast or slow or out of time, it can all be creative.

Benhamin

dillinger escape plan?

wow

number twelve looks like you?
daughters?
see you next tuesday?

if you want grindcore metal
dont tell me dep

and ill still round up bomb blast and gravity blast
and all the other blast
and call them all blast beats cause thats what they are

Howepirate

Benhamin":8x2df4ju said:
dillinger escape plan?

wow

daughters?
see you next tuesday?

dont tell me dep

and all the other blast

its like calling a Pearl 5 piece MMX in cobalt fade just a pearl set

Eiren

drummert2k":3s5dn7gq said:
Eiren":3s5dn7gq said:

Yeah, I think he was called Buddy Rich. Good drummer, heard of him? Great blast beat pioneer.

He was obviously an uncreative metal drummer or something though...

Eiren

Benhamin":3m524qu0 said:
dillinger escape plan?

wow

daughters?
see you next tuesday?

dont tell me dep

and all the other blast