wrists

Trent

ive noticed now that my right wrist starts really hurting after a while. idk if its something with my technique or what but does anyone else have this problem or know what it could be?

WhiteOleander

yea i get it sometimes if i play too long and too fast.. but I guess thats only normal, wrists normally even hurt just after writing a lot.. I wouldnt worry about it, just build up strength in your wrist and it should get better.. maybe it is your technique I can't tell, but maybe you tense too much? thats atleast a common problem.. you could always go see a doctor if it really worries you =p

B-lack_Attack

Yeah dude, I know exactley what you mean. My practice time's been cut down dramatically, but when I do get to play I guess I play really hard...which is probably why my wrists are effed up.

Which wrist hurts? Or is it both?

I heard that doing wrist curls with an empty dumbell helps, I've yet to try it though.

Trent

its my right handed wrist.. if that makes sense.. and yea im the same as you i dont get to play that much but when i do i play hard and long.. one time i think i played three hours straight.. idk if that good but yea now my wrist kills from time to time.. i hope its not gonna stay there. but then again i think i need to get some practice and work it a little..

cgaffka

i used to get some pain in my wrist. idk i guess after playing for a while you build some muscle in there n it doesnt hurt anymore? idk keep playin it should go away

Bummer2112

Or if it's stinging like all hell, could be tendonitus. I had it about a year into playing at first. Just keep off it a while, about a week or 2 but it's up to you.

keep the wrists loose when you play, never stiff

Dale

I don't know what to advise really, not having seen you play. One problem I do see these days is people playing too hard and not playing relaxed. Many focus only on wrists and forget fingers. It may also be due to a reliance on single strokes without first having developed other techniques. Or it might simply be the result of a bad habbit developed without having had proper professional instruction.

I recomend getting a very good teacher so he or she can look closely at your technique.

Daneman

Dale":ismgmu0d said:
I don't know what to advise really, not having seen you play. One problem I do see these days is people playing too hard and not playing relaxed. Many focus only on wrists and forget fingers. It may also be due to a reliance on single strokes without first having developed other techniques. Or it might simply be the result of a bad habbit developed without having had proper professional instruction.

I recomend getting a very good teacher so he or she can look closely at your technique.
Agreed. It's a pretty common reflex to try to tighten up to play faster, using the wrist as a fulcrum to increase speed. It's actually counter productive, and one of the bigger reasons so many drummers complain about early stages of carpal tunnel (There was great interview with Joe Morello in Modern Drummer some 20+ years ago that I still have hanging on my rehearsal space wall).

Check out any of the instructional books and videos on the Moeller Method- it's really all about economy of motion using the natural stick rebound to do the job for you. You're wrists will thank you.

Bono