Wrist Problems

DrumsPlus

Hey everyone. Something popped in my right wrist about 2 weeks ago and it’s still sore. I stretch all the time, and have tried a wrist band, but when I’m playing with the wrist band my thumb and index finger go numb. I have no problems typing or anything like that but when I play it just doesn’t want to go away. I am getting ready for an audition next month, so I need the stick time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Drums Plus

screamkevin

I had wrist problems a few years back. What Stump said is gospel: Get Thyself To The Doctor ASAP. It sounds like a ligament or tendon problem developing, and that can sideline you for a while. But, left untreated, you could be out of action for a lot longer, even permanently. Follow the doc's advice, treat it with anti-inflammatories (Tylenol, Aleve, etc), and ice, and baby the heck out of it for a while. Remember, you can always find an audition, but if you don't take care of your body, you won't be drumming.

You'll also want to look at possibly changing to smaller sticks. Most of my wrist problems stemmed from using Vic Firth 2B Nylon sticks. Once I switched to my current Pro-Mark 707 Nylons, I haven't had twinge number one.

Good luck, and let us know what the doc says.

BillRayDrums

DrumsPlus":2mk713zs said:
Hey everyone. Something popped in my right wrist about 2 weeks ago and it’s still sore. I stretch all the time, and have tried a wrist band, but when I’m playing with the wrist band my thumb and index finger go numb. I have no problems typing or anything like that but when I play it just doesn’t want to go away. I am getting ready for an audition next month, so I need the stick time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Drums Plus
If you want to continue to play drums in a pain-free manner over many years, get that checked out.

drumur

Once I switched to my current Pro-Mark 707 Nylons, I haven't had twinge number one.
I used to use those...I liked the because they had some "give"
You could feel the vibrations so it wasn't as much of a shock.
...other sticks were stiff.

amontholdDrums

yeah def if you want to keep drumming see a doctor.. then after that.. watch some videos on proper technique and ways to hit with out doing alot of work.. theres multiple ways so not one is right so to speak, but just check it out and see if it helps any.

Sara_Tama!

I used to use 2B's and as well...went really well for a while but then i started to feel the pain after long practice sessions and seeing as im female i figured that ive got to have weaker forearms and wrists than guys, and i dont really need a stick with a really LOUD hit. soooo
Went down to Pro-Mark 707 Rock sticks...DANG i think thats the name...and i switch between those and regular 5B's (I really like Pro-Mark).
I bought Cindy Blackman's signature sticks the other day just for the fun of it..AND surprisingly i find them extreamly comfortable and balanced to play with...I like Taylor Hawkin's too!
but yeah get lighter sticks or maybe ur gripping isnt right??

DrumsPlus

Saw the Doc, and he said that it was a small strain in the ligaments. He said it looks like something he sees from working on a computer for long periods of time, which I do for 8 hours a day. I am a hard hitter, but I’ve really worked on my technique for a lot of years which is why this was even more unexpected. I’ve also gone to 5A from my normal 5B’s and that’s helped a little. I start seeing a physical therapist Jan 12.

Thanks everyone for your advice…

Homki890

Yeah, not that uncommon. Like, I've heard of a lot of Guitar Hero players getting tendinitis in their left hands. It happens to drummers too, just something to watch out for. That's kool that you were able to get some help. Good luck with that bro.

Homki890

cgaffka

my wrists used to kill me a while back.
i talked to the guy at the drum shop, he gave me a few pairs of sticks(free!!!)
and told me to play each of them a little bit. I found that it really helped
to get a heavier stick with the nylon tips. Also i played the Ahead Aluminums,
they have great vibration control and were really good, no wrist problems and even helped with
blisters, but i broke them to often and theyre to expensive.

VIC FIRTHS!!!

DrumsPlus

The pain is gone now. Doctors gave me some meds a wrist brace and I still have to go in for physical therapy, but that is more prevention than anything else. I've started to experiment with sticks and stick companies but still feel comfortable with my 5B's, even with my bigger hands. I'm getting some grips from Uni-Grip to see how they work and Xcel drumsticks has been working with me on a stick.

dwtoast72

DrumsPlus":24kpalro said:
Saw the Doc, and he said that it was a small strain in the ligaments. He said it looks like something he sees from working on a computer for long periods of time, which I do for 8 hours a day. I am a hard hitter, but I’ve really worked on my technique for a lot of years which is why this was even more unexpected. I’ve also gone to 5A from my normal 5B’s and that’s helped a little. I start seeing a physical therapist Jan 12.

Thanks everyone for your advice…
Smart move, bro...
Like these guys were sayin...that ain't nothin to be messin around with...