would this be completly impractical?

rundylanrunn

we have some shows coming up where i'm not going to care that much about gear or anything, so i was wanting to try a simpler setup, not that mine is really complex to begin with.

so if this is my setup..

i'm thinking about taking the outer 2 cymbals away, leaving me only my hihats and my ride.

i really like how simple that would look, i considered taking the rack tom away too, but i play it way too much.

it'd be similar to the drummer's setup in this video
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_xBG1I_nwo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_xBG1I_nwo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
although the hieght of his hi hats is ridiculous.

i dunno if i'd make this permanent or anything, but imagine how much cheaper it would be to have to only maintain one cymbal and one set of hats at a time, and the extra room i'd have on tour not having to bring as much stuff.

thoughts? i like bouncing ideas off you guys, even if they're not very good ones haha. =]

Jimbob2020

rundylanrunn":1ehfsyrc said:
we have some shows coming up where i'm not going to care that much about gear or anything, so i want wanting to try a simpler setup, not that mine is really complex to begin with.

so if this is my setup..

i'm thinking about taking the outer 2 cymbals away, leaving me only my hihats and my ride.

i really like how simple that would look, i considered taking the rack tom away too, but i play it way too much.

it'd be similar to the drummer's setup in this video
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_xBG1I_nwo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_xBG1I_nwo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
although the hieght of his hi hats is ridiculous.

i dunno if i'd make this permanent or anything, but imagine how much cheaper it would be to have to only maintain one cymbal and one set of hats at a time, and the extra room i'd have on tour not having to bring as much stuff.

thoughts? i like bouncing ideas off you guys, even if they're not very good ones haha. =]
I though about taking some of my set off too... I have more to start with, but I think I like it all there... I might take a cymbal or two off occasionally, but nothing permanent. Whatever you like best, you should go for.

Mitchell?

It all comes down to how much you like/play those two cymbals. I'm particularly fond of a small set-up, even just hats, snare, and kick. But most of the time my set up is bigger than that, because it opens up different possibilities.

If not having those cymbals would hamper or make certain things impossible I would take them, because the plus of not having to deal with them is outweighed by the fact you're shutting doors on yourself.

dedrummervanrolf

I'd do it. Even if it's just to practise being comfortable with whatever the situation is gonna be. Maybe do a few rehearsals with that set-up first.

It's kinda creapy how are sets are the same by the way. We have the same kit, with the exact same cymbal set-up, only I have an additional china on the right.

Anyway, I've played shows with a smaller set-up too, done a few shows with just kick, snare, hats and a ride, and it really makes you think creatively, and the craziest stuff happens, which I think is absolutely awesome:D

Have fun with the shows dude!

rundylanrunn

yeah dude our sets are super similar.

i just very recently added the far right crash, and i don't really like it. i think it makes it look i have more stuff, which is cool i guess, but i don't like playing it so i probably will downsize that one no matter what.

and yeah, i was thinking it would force me to play more creatively, which is cool.

the only thing i would think it might hamper would be the more powerful crash sound of 2 cymbals at once. but that meinl is pretty beastly by itself so i should be alright.

dedrummervanrolf

rundylanrunn":1pahcv6q said:
the only thing i would think it might hamper would be the more powerful crash sound of 2 cymbals at once. but that meinl is pretty beastly by itself so i should be alright.
I sometimes use open hats to power-up crashes. Works pretty good, though I think that meinl ride has enough power in itself indeed:D

SGarrett

I don't think it's too much of a coincident that your setups are the same. I've seen at least a dozen in Sac with the exact same setup, too. :)

Don't forget that more than one crash gives you more than one color, which makes cymbal crashing a little more musical.

dedrummervanrolf

SGarrett":sgrksj78 said:
I don't think it's too much of a coincident that your setups are the same. I've seen at least a dozen in Sac with the exact same setup, too. :)

Don't forget that more than one crash gives you more than one color, which makes cymbal crashing a little more musical.
yeah, a lot of kits look like that, I agree. But I don't think it's just because it looks cool and that guy on MTV did it..to me at least, I feel like it's a set-up that allows you to play with a lot of power.

rundylanrunn

yeah, i've been through my reasons for using this setup several times. i don't want to go over it again, but it's definitely NOT because i saw it on mtv or something. i used to play a 9pc kit like 3 years ago. i've tried severalllll setups to find one i like.

i completly agree with the power playing thing, i'm pretty sure i'd end up "crashing" my hats along with the ride just because my left hand is used to hitting something anyway, haha.

yeah the musicality is something i was worried about. i'm just going to have to try it out at our next show and see. thanks for the input, i can always count on you guys for that. i tried to talk to my dad about it, he was like UH.

okjohne

I'm trying to put together a small kit also. Mine would be one drum larger than your big kit. Likely another cymbal as well. May be two or three. Ahh I just hate haulin all this crap. Give me eight drums and nine cymbals any day.

anavrinIV

rundylanrunn":1nbavate said:
although the hieght of his hi hats is ridiculous.]
yours are what, about 2" lower?

go for it. personally i play a pretty large set and have also been thinking of downsizing for the sake of a band i've been working on forming, but mine would be to a 4 or 5 pc with about 6 cymbals. if you don't feel like you need those crashes (or rides, i'm not sure what they are) then take them off. i've always been one for a larger but more compact setup though and i like all my cymbal voices.

rundylanrunn

i guess you'd have to see me behind the kit to realize my hats are way lower than his. i sit pretty high. his are like over the shoulder, but i'm sure he just did it like that for the video.

and yeah, i've always been really impressed when i see a drummer perform very well on a limited kit. so i'd like to explore that.

yeah i know what you mean about having different cymbal voices at your disposal. that's the only thing i'm really worried about losing.

Assback

I play almost the same exact set up as you and I personally wouldn't do it. What kind of music do you play? I play punk and I know that if I didn't have both my crashes or my rack tom the music would be too dull. It's sound too controlled because I wouldn't be able to have my crashes going. Just my opinion.

I have to admit though. The hats, ride, and one tom looks amazing. If I played in maybe an acoustic band or a rocksteady band I'd definately strip my set a little.

SGarrett

First, let me say that I honestly don't care if you copied your setup from Travis or crawled out from under a rock yesterday and did it on your own. I don't play either of your kits. I just thought it was funny how you two were like "oh wow...someone with the same setup as me!" when it's the most popular setup these days. Unless you're hanging drums from the ceiling, there's a very good chance that you won't have an original setup. :)

That said, hearing the same crash over and over through every song, as the only crash, gets really old. Though, I dare say you don't have a ride and two crashes, you just have three crashes.

As far as rack toms. Mike Johnston told me that he never used a rack tom with Simon Says. Snare, kick, two floor toms, two crash cymbals, a ride cymbal down low enough to be used as a ride cymbal, and a pair of hats. He said anything more made him want to play around instead of playing the songs. He also said he got that setup from Matt Walker (Filter). (Just to bring this up, he wasn't in the least bit hesitant, embarrassed, or whatever about saying that he flat out copied somebody else's setup and changed it to suit his body.)

Metaldrummer89

those other cymbals are gonna take you what??? 2 extra seconds to set up? why take away from your performance?

i always think in terms of "less is less" but if your playing simple bs and don't care about variety or musicality then go for it.

rundylanrunn

okay, i really DO value most people's opinons on this board. BUT i can't help but be a little offended when you say i'm going to play "simple bs."

they'd take more than 2 seconds to set up, and the 2 extra stands add (give or take) 20 pounds to my road case for my hardware.

as far as setups go, i wouldn't be embarrassed to admit if i'd copied from someone. it's how you can learn what is/isn't right for you.

SGarrett, i've always trusted that you just flat out know more than me, and i respect your opinion a lot more than drummers who are older than me on other boards. they usually just talk down to me. just wanted to throw that out there, and thank you for your advice.

another reason for wanting to downsize was to be a little more unique than some of the other drummers who play in the same genre as me, i agree that their kits seem to all be the same.

as for ride height, i've been thinking about bringing down more. i used to have it even higher than i do now. i think it'd be beneficial to my playing to be able to actually ride on it pretty comfortably, but i DO use it more for crashing. and when it's too low, it feels really weird to crashride it. to me, anyway. but i am concerned about raised edge cracks, which can happen a lot easier the higher and flatter you have a cymbal, so i will be lowering it some.

sorry if i wrote a novel, and sorry if i snapped at anybody. i really do love this board and the people on it.

rundylanrunn

SGarrett":1jp4r2wy said:
I just thought it was funny how you two were like "oh wow...someone with the same setup as me!" when it's the most popular setup these days. Unless you're hanging drums from the ceiling, there's a very good chance that you won't have an original setup. :)
Agreed about originality. We also both play the same exact drumset, too. I think that helped with the oh wow factor.