Would like to know what you all think of my drumming....

anavrinIV

you seem really tense and your fills are boring and slow...thats probably the song and not you but it just isnt a fun video to watch. when i first saw that you were playing a dragonforce song i was expecting some blast beats and blazing doubles but i was wrong.

for constructive criticism, i say loosen up and work on timing. im sure youre a solid player but i dont see much in that video.

The Heel

Constructive Feedback. I can only be honest.

You have good charisma it seems that would be good for playing out live in a band. But your bass drum foot is very weak playing even quarter notes. I dont know what you're doing with the ride cymbal on parts. I would work with a metronome as it seems you have time issues especially with the bass drum placement.

Your fills seem random and end in weird spots.

I would give you the same advice as warrington drummer.

Alright first go out and buy a metronome. This is the base of your tempo. Without solid time we can't do our main job in a band.

Second, I dont know how much you are familiar with rythmic notation. Like do you understand quarter notes, eight notes, sixteenth notes etc.?

If you do, you want to go out and buy the book called Stick Control for the Snare Drummer written by George Lawrence Stone.

This will be your bible for the next six months.

You also want to pick up Syncopation by Ted Reed.

These two books, practiced daily (I like two hours) with a metronome... will so drastically improve you're playing within six months that you won't believe how far you will have come.

Also, look on Youtube for instructional videos. Just be careful on who you watch.

phoenix7289

The Heel":243ehxp0 said:
Constructive Feedback. I can only be honest.

You have good charisma it seems that would be good for playing out live in a band. But your bass drum foot is very weak playing even quarter notes. I dont know what you're doing with the ride cymbal on parts. I would work with a metronome as it seems you have time issues especially with the bass drum placement.

Your fills seem random and end in weird spots.

I would give you the same advice as warrington drummer.

Alright first go out and buy a metronome. This is the base of your tempo. Without solid time we can't do our main job in a band.

Second, I dont know how much you are familiar with rythmic notation. Like do you understand quarter notes, eight notes, sixteenth notes etc.?

If you do, you want to go out and buy the book called Stick Control for the Snare Drummer written by George Lawrence Stone.

This will be your bible for the next six months.

You also want to pick up Syncopation by Ted Reed.

These two books, practiced daily (I like two hours) with a metronome... will so drastically improve you're playing within six months that you won't believe how far you will have come.

Also, look on Youtube for instructional videos. Just be careful on who you watch.
Me oh my thank you! Yah I had a few issues with certain timing parts. The bass drum is actually how he does it in the song, I forget, it is probly quarter notes, but where he'll hit it like- B-Bass, S-Snare...

B-S-BB-S-B-S-BB
And so on...

I may actually already have those books so I'll look for them! But thanks for your thoughts! I do not tend to get such nice comments all the time on youtube from people.
:( :?

Spydr2000

phoenix7289":1qzpwf0l said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2qo3clGyU0

Please be nice with your thoughts. I am interested in some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback! Thanks ahead of time!!!
Your playing seems just out of place. Trying learning a song with a heavy pocket, such as a AC/DC song..easy.

You look lazy playing, get them elbows up.. such as 'tommy lee's style.

Try breaking the beats down play slower and clean them up same with fills. Try to make and understanding beats per measure and how they are to be placed., its all part of time keeping.

phoenix7289

Spydr2000":17a3akzw said:
phoenix7289":17a3akzw said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2qo3clGyU0

Please be nice with your thoughts. I am interested in some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback! Thanks ahead of time!!!
Your playing seems just out of place. Trying learning a song with a heavy pocket, such as a AC/DC song..easy.

You look lazy playing, get them elbows up.. such as 'tommy lee's style.

Try breaking the beats down play slower and clean them up same with fills. Try to make and understanding beats per measure and how they are to be placed., its all part of time keeping.
Hmm, didn't expect someone to have an issue with my elbow placement haha! :lol: Well, I shall try and figure out a better position...

SmellsLikeIan

Turn your stereo up REALLY loud and use ear plugs. This may or may not help with your time, but it can sometimes be an issue if you can't hear the song over your drums. Also, a metronome and the G.L. Stone/Ted Reed books that the heel recommended are like GOLD. Heel's advice of 2 hours a day with those tools will take your playing to a whole new level.

zen_drummer

phoenix7289":1fkmxuol said:
The bass drum is actually how he does it in the song, I forget, it is probly quarter notes, but where he'll hit it like- B-Bass, S-Snare...

B-S-BB-S-B-S-BB
And so on...
Yes that's what the drummer on the record played, and it's also nearly what you played... but you didn't put the notes on the beat. You had the pattern correct, but the timing is wrong.

You asked for a critique, and when it was provided, you didn't seem to pay attention... Instead you tried to defend what you had played contending that you played the same thing as record.

My critique would be for you to work on playing to a metronome as well. Play at a variety of tempos so that the basic time-keeping functions of drumming become automatic THEN work on fills.

You have a very good stage presence and you're fun to watch, if and when you put as much effort into the mechanics of drumming, you could go a long way.

phoenix7289

zen_drummer":3jlqapaj said:
phoenix7289":3jlqapaj said:
The bass drum is actually how he does it in the song, I forget, it is probly quarter notes, but where he'll hit it like- B-Bass, S-Snare...

B-S-BB-S-B-S-BB
And so on...
Yes that's what the drummer on the record played, and it's also nearly what you played... but you didn't put the notes on the beat. You had the pattern correct, but the timing is wrong.

You asked for a critique, and when it was provided, you didn't seem to pay attention... Instead you tried to defend what you had played contending that you played the same thing as record.

My critique would be for you to work on playing to a metronome as well. Play at a variety of tempos so that the basic time-keeping functions of drumming become automatic THEN work on fills.

You have a very good stage presence and you're fun to watch, if and when you put as much effort into the mechanics of drumming, you could go a long way.
Thanks a bunch haha! But yah, I know I certainly need some practice on timing. I should get a metronome... I'm not the best on keeping beat, I think I just love going faster!!! :p

zen_drummer

phoenix7289":n4z9qeet said:
I'm not the best on keeping beat, I think I just love going faster!!! :p
There will come a time when the desire to play well outweighs the desire to play fast, when you get to that point, you'll be at the starting point of getting good.

Your primary job as a drummer is to keep the beat. Thats what you need to work on.

You should absolutely get a metronome.

mouse

not really much more in the way of advice I could add to this that hasn't been said already. Some real good advice above as well :)

may I ask though, how long have you been playing? are you self taught or have a teacher?

No real reason for me asking that, just curious.

Right, now I'm off to see if I can find a copy of that stick control book someone mentioned, online...

Sarah x

phoenix7289

mouse":309coxxd said:
not really much more in the way of advice I could add to this that hasn't been said already. Some real good advice above as well :)

may I ask though, how long have you been playing? are you self taught or have a teacher?

No real reason for me asking that, just curious.

Right, now I'm off to see if I can find a copy of that stick control book someone mentioned, online...

Sarah x
I have been drumming for about 3 years, more in the past 2ish though. I had a teacher for say 4-5 months, but I dropped him because he was a complete monotone, and not a very good teacher either. He wasn't fun to learn from. =/ You know? But yah, more self-taught. I am working on getting into some lessons with this one guy nowadays. So hopefully we'll see some improvement!

RobDrmz

And once you get the metronome USE it.

When I bought my TAMA rhythm watch, it just stared at me for awhile. Now I even try to take it to work!

zen_drummer

RobDrmz":2m2stguj said:
And once you get the metronome USE it.

When I bought my TAMA rhythm watch, it just stared at me for awhile. Now I even try to take it to work!
The TAMA Rhythm watch is the best metronome I have ever used!

I also use a device called a beat bug... it's a tempometer. It monitors your tempo and tells you what you're playing. It's amazingly effective, but not for beginners in my opinion... Everybody should spend time with a metronome before going higher tech.

(technically playing along with records should count as metronome playing... you just need to stay ON the beat!)

repludwig4rl

I think what will really help you is getting some leesons.geta snare instructional booklet and start off with that.it will really build up your tempo consistency to keep time.and work with your hands also.it looks like the stix are about to fly out of your hands and hit your camera.also at the beggining of the song the bass and hi hat was nowhere near consistency.work on that.i suggest a Dr. Beat metronone.there the best.

PatternsInTheIvy

As people have said, the best thing you could do is work with a metronome, stick control, and get lessons. They did wonders for me. Also, play a dragonforce song thats fun to listen to. Theres lots of them, you just didn't pick one.

phoenix7289

PatternsInTheIvy":2rrsmazg said:
As people have said, the best thing you could do is work with a metronome, stick control, and get lessons. They did wonders for me. Also, play a dragonforce song thats fun to listen to. Theres lots of them, you just didn't pick one.
You dissing Trail of Broken Hearts?! That song is AWESOME!!! :O
Wow... disrespect. Sheesh... umm, I do like playing to some other songs, such as Operation Ground and Pound, MY SPIRIT WILL GO ON, Heart of a Dragon, and Where Dragons Rule. Good enough for you sir?