Worst snare sound ever recorded.

Shalaq

Any comments? Any annoying snare sounds that just destroy the overall sound of the set/song?

ARCHxANGEL

Well " Technically " since the wires were in the " off " position thats a Timbale.....Which makes it that much worse since its A - Metallica and B - A Metal Cd. A properly used Timbale never hurt no one but St.Anger made me cry and quiver in ways I didn't know possible.

Shalaq

About the St. Anger snare sound- before it was released, I've put an Evans Power Center and a regular G1 Coated head on my Pearl forum 14x5.5 snare- very similar sound :) G1Coated on the bottom- never ever try this combination :)

screamkevin

I think hands down it has to go to Lars for the "St. Anger" album. The biggest problem with that record was that they over-engineered it to make it sound "garage", and instead of sounding like "garage", it sounded like "doodie".

Worst Metallica Album EVER.

stevo

aye, wtf were the producers thinking?

thiers no way lars' snare could of sound that bad without bieng mixed.

dugdrummer

loop":m22xnhm7 said:
Hmmm. Have you heard Metalicca's St Anger album? If you have, you know what I mean;)

i didn't buy that cd for the snare sound alone :shock:

correct me if i'm wrong didn't lars record with an old black beauty at one time? why he would wanna switch that for a trashcan w/ snares is beyond me...

Johnny Cat

John Stanier's snare sound when he was with Helmet.

"bink!"

I like ringiness, but not that much.

And Lars' sound on St. Anger of course. I totally agree with that one as the worst I've ever heard.

draconic

i seem to be the only guy on earth to dig lars' snare on 'st. anger'.
i like those ringy snares. too bad the music sucked pretty badly... not up to the quality of that snare sound.

phee

I'll have to go with any recording produced by Howard Benson. Some popular currents are the previous My Chemical Romance (Helena, Ghost of You, I'm Not Okay) and the Flyleaf album (Fully Alive).

It sounds like he told the drummers in the studio, (in my best gay voice) "Hey drummer, you quit that rim shotting now! Be nice! Not so hard!"

Anyway, if you only heard the snare sound from his recordings, you'd sware it was from a 70s album. Hello technology.

zackman

yeah lars' is pretty hideous. i also think that the drummer from the chariot's snare sounds pretty bad in everything is alive... strangly i like it though

Tama Drummer

dugdrummer":w94pw4g9 said:
loop":w94pw4g9 said:
Hmmm. Have you heard Metalicca's St Anger album? If you have, you know what I mean;)

i didn't buy that cd for the snare sound alone :shock:

correct me if i'm wrong didn't lars record with an old black beauty at one time? why he would wanna switch that for a trashcan w/ snares is beyond me...
The story I've heard is that for the "Master of Puppets" record, he borrowed a vintage Ludwig Black Beauty from Rick Allen of Def Leppard. That's the story, anyway. St. Anger was, hands dow, the shittiest sounding record that also contained the ABSOLUTE WORST SNARE SOUND EVER! Being a Tama player for many, many years, I think it's ridiculous that the snare sound on that record was captured in ont one, but TWO (HIGHLY overpriced) Lars Ulrich signature snare drums.......

this is my opinion!!!,i hate the SKINNY PUPPY SNARE. in tha song Empte the top batter head is sooo loose. and the bottom head is snappy. this is on "the greater side of wrong or right" its the 14"x6.5" on the left of his kit. it sounds like ass

i love skinny puppy but i hate that snare

Rockaflodge

Yes Lars has the #1 spot for worst sounding snare (and the whole kit) to me but the Rev. from A7fold snare sounds just like a marhing snare, not good for a drum set, BUT I am going to shock you, I have never liked Chad Saxton's ( from 311 ) snare sound. its too popcorn sounding to me.

Shalaq

ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH":1q2o1whm said:
this is my opinion!!!,i hate the SKINNY PUPPY SNARE. in tha song Empte the top batter head is sooo loose. and the bottom head is snappy. this is on "the greater side of wrong or right" its the 14"x6.5" on the left of his kit. it sounds like ass

i love skinny puppy but i hate that snare
Do they really recorded an acoustic kit on that album? I though they are a duet nowadays.