Worst drumming injuries

s1ngleton

I was thinking today about the many different ways that I have hurt myself behind the 'skins...came up with this list, 1 being the worst...

1. Going for a cymbal choke, slightly miscalculated hand-eye coordination, end up jamming the rim of the cymbal right under my thumbnail

2. 32nd note roll from snare to high tom, skinned left pinky on the high tom rim

3. (By far funniest, happened only once) While at band practice, I was really getting into a song, I had a simple fill--8th notes, snare flam-bass drum-snare flame-bass drum. When I'm really feeling the groove in this song, I raise the sticks exceptionally high before hitting the flams, and on the first or second rebound I whacked myself right in between the eyes. The song was abruptly stopped, I only messed up the following parts a bit, but the act and my reaction (cross-eyed, looked like I was going to faint apparently) were too much for my bandmates to handle.

4. Very common, I was keeping beat on the floor tom and give myself a charlie horse with the stick.

5. Very rare, but every once in a while my foot slips off the pedal in an agressive song. I play with only socks on, so the lack of padding does very little to protect my renegade foot among all the hardware down there.

And who said drumming wasn't a sport? :p

PatternsInTheIvy

Hah, wow man. Your pretty injury prone.

I would say the worst was when i had the classic problem of B.D creep and I was playing at a concert in school. We were playing on a raised platform. It was creeping too far away from me so in a last ditch effort to throw it back my way without skipping to much drumming I lost balance and fell on the ground. In the middle of the song. In front of the whole school. :(

Scott_Hurford

s1ngleton":1gyo0004 said:
I was thinking today about the many different ways that I have hurt myself behind the 'skins...came up with this list, 1 being the worst...

1. Going for a cymbal choke, slightly miscalculated hand-eye coordination, end up jamming the rim of the cymbal right under my thumbnail

F**king ouch!!

DrumHead15

Great topic!

Oh let's see:
In high school we played a 70's themed dance. Someone found some bell bottomed pants for us to wear. While playing a funky old 70's dance song the right pant leg slipped over the bass drum beater and on the next stroke it jerked me off of my throne. I was in tears laughing so hard. The rest of the night I had them taped down. I do not know how people wore those things.

In high school playing a cadence to get the band up in the stands, we stood at the bottom while they went up. Our uniform pants were white and were basically velcro'ed tabbed for quick changes. While playing my leg starts to itch, then both legs are itching. My pants started to look red and white polka dotted. Three band parents (Mom's) ran over to me and yank my pants off while I am playing. I was in an ant hill by accident. Luckily I was wearing baggies that game. We (drummers) rarely wore anything under them preferring to go commando since we never changed. I had a ton of bites.

At a band practice once just coming from marching practice, I decided to use my marching sticks. I was doing one of those double handed crossovers between floor toms and snare and hit my right knee cap dead center. I saw stars it hurt so bad.

Playing in college marching band doing a cadence in the stands one of our bass drummers swung his bass and knocked me down three rows while I was wearing and playing my quints. I had to had an arthroscope done to make sure I did not tear an ACL or meniscus. Back then we did not use MRI yet.

I had a drumstick tip break and bounce off of my sunglasses once. Who knows what would have happened if I was not wearing them.

Keep the stories coming...

Nigel Letter

I have a few:
1. I broke a chunk out of a cymbal and got stabbed in the stonach with it.

2. Pieces of a broken stick have gone into my eyes.

3. Skinned knuckles on my floor tom rim many many many a time.

4. Had my snare creap towards me and when I went to try hit the center I also hit dead center between my legs. That has actually happened a few times.

5. Whip lash. No need to explain how that happened.

6. If I play outdoors in cold weather my elbows (espically my right) just give out. Its feels like I have no forearm or hand but then all of a sudden is goes away.

7. Fell backwards off my throne and through a curtain which I thought had a wall behind it and the curtain was there wo help with the sound. Well behind the curtain was the kitchen and I ended up lying on a counter top.

8. Sometimes if we have been on the road and we don't get much sleep sometimes I tend to slap my face with a drum stick.

9. Had a stick break and fly straight up, hit a light and have it fall on me.

10. this is also to do with number 2. On the cymbal the chunk came out of I was trying to do a mute with it and the part I grabbed (I was tired. Had been on the road for weeks without a day off) on the cymbal was where the chunk came from so I tore my hand open pretty good.

It may sound like I'm a cluts but when you play 200+ shows a year and have been doing it for four years crazy stuff will happen!!

Bummer2112

they're always because of cymbals with me, except for the occasional destroying my finger with one of the sticks or whacking myself in the nose when im screwing around,

but i have a cut in the middle of my...middle finer from when i was going to hit my crash and it came around that the hi-hay sliced about half an inch of skin off,

and just recently my china cook a gigantic hunk of skin off of my middle finger on my right hand just by accidently going under it and trying to get out too fast. lots of blood and it was fun trying to keep playing :p

grey_fox

s1ngleton":dz428jv7 said:

2. 32nd note roll from snare to high tom, skinned left pinky on the high tom rim

3. (By far funniest, happened only once) While at band practice, I was really getting into a song, I had a simple fill--8th notes, snare flam-bass drum-snare flame-bass drum. When I'm really feeling the groove in this song, I raise the sticks exceptionally high before hitting the flams, and on the first or second rebound I whacked myself right in between the eyes. The song was abruptly stopped, I only messed up the following parts a bit, but the act and my reaction (cross-eyed, looked like I was going to faint apparently) were too much for my bandmates to handle.

4. Very common, I was keeping beat on the floor tom and give myself a charlie horse with the stick.

5. Very rare, but every once in a while my foot slips off the pedal in an agressive song. I play with only socks on, so the lack of padding does very little to protect my renegade foot among all the hardware down there.

haha ouchie, whats a charlie horse??

SmellsLikeIan

Many years ago, when I first started gigging, I had a really crappy throne......It broke in the middle of a very energetic song. I ended up on the floor. The rest might as well write itself. I got a new throne the next day.

WhiteOleander

haha my list is relativly common..

1. played too loose; both sticks flew out of my hands, one whacked me in the eye and the other cracked a window

2. just generally whacking myself in the face or nose with a stick

3. somehow, im still not sure how, I cut my finger open on a drum.. there was blood everywhere and all over my set.. it was sick but very rock n roll ;)

Agent McKelley

Well on top of sleeping and touring in a van and playing my ass off for 2 hours a night with loading in and unloading at 3am...My back and neck and legs have been through hell.

I sliced the side of my hand open one night on my hi-hat while rolling and crashing on a small stage. I had to place my left cymbal in too where it was kind of uncomfortably close.

I got the cymbal under a fingernail once and almost tore it back.

I took a stick to the ear one night while I was really feeling it. That snapped me back right quick.

I used to hit the top of my hi-hats with my hand during solos...Do that for a 12 shows straight and you get this nice blue haze to the side of your hand.

By the way-
I am Jason....I have been reading this forum for awhile though tonight I just joined.
Cheers to you all.
You can watch my latest video here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83BK6Iz6UdA

Stevil

1) Show. I was throwing down pretty hard, and I head-butted one of my rides across the edge. Split my forehead open. Did NOT stop playing.

2) Show. Numerous rimshots with the knuckle of my middle finger. Exposed the bone. Did NOT stop playing.

3) Played an entire show immediately after I broke my right foot. No cast. THAT sucked. (dosen't really count as a drumming injury per-se, but still deserves recognition)

4) stabbed myself in the eyeball with a stick in mid power-swing. Thought I lost an eye. That time I DID stop playing. heh

Guitar is MUCH safer. heh

ETID84

Well, without proper stretching, I had finished a practice session and noticed that a knot was forming in my neck by the end of day. The next morning I woke up, sat up in bed and felt a sharp pain in the area where the knot was forming, that literally brought me back to a lying position. I was lying in bed for a good 20 min. Needless to say, I suffered a really nasty muscle sparin and ended up getting two shots on both "cheeks" for inflmation (looked as if a hill was forming on the back of my lower neck) and pain. I don't even head bang or anything lol...Oh well, stretch properly folks if you practice for more than an hour.

PaulZILLA

hmm alot of these sound kind of common. but some sound pretty unique and hellish
the cymbal underthe fingernail SUCKS. been there
hitting myself in the face with a stick oh yeah not fun
had the snare start to creep in on me. but i managed to sorta push it back up with my left foot. and then wound up with it at an awkward angle and then went for a rim shot only to catch my finger between the stick and rim.
had one though th at ill never do again if i can help it.
one of my old bands had a show coming up. but our vocalist and bassist hadnt been to practice th at week. so we had to practice an entire set(30-45 min) not too long. but we only had about 24 hours. so we practiced 8 t he night before and then slept for about 4 hours and got up and practiced 6. then got on the road. my right leg was immensely sore. but nothin big. b ut after i played the set that night. my right leg went straight into a charlie horse and cramped up so bad that i had to sit with it straight the remaining 3 hours of the show outside just to be able to drive home. it sucked. anyway. MORAL OF THE STORY always stretch before practice and before a show. and then stretch down after practice and a show

Dale

Broke my nose and fell through a stage with my kit. Getting smashed in the face with boom stands isn't funny.

I've never peeled back a nail. OUCH. My heart goes out to those above who have.

skdrummer

when i was practicing, i accidentally stopped my roll half way through it and tried to go to a tom, and my drumstick flew up and hit me in the eye
and they say music is safe :)

vargasdrumbeast

The worst i can think of is ripping my toenail off while playing barefoot, i dont know how it happened but it hurt. :(

The worst ive ever heard of is drummers standing up after a concert and falling on their set, in some cases being impaled by pointing hardware, OUCH! :cry:

Calbanese

ANything that has to do with hitting my hand on the rim of a drum. Ouch.

Also, hitting a crash cymbal and having your second-hand-stand's wingnut fly off and hit you in the face sucks pretty bad.

my worst injury druming i would have to say is prob like hitting myself with the drum stick. haha. well broke my wrist biking an di have to learn how to play the drums with 1 arm. i got pretty good at it. i just play pretty wild and hit my leg sometimes or hit my self in the head or other stuff.

lee

I was playing a gig many years ago, and the bass player was jumping all over the place. He knocked the overhead mic over, which in turn caused half my drumkit to fall over and I took a 16" crash cymbal straight across my throat. I fell backwards off my stool and ended up with half a drumkit on top of me.
After the gig the rest of the band asked why I'd stopped playing halfway through one of the songs......