Wood Rim Kits

Alcyon

Anyone seen (Underoath's) Aaron Gillespie's Truth custom kit? It's all black, with what I think are WOOD rims on ALL his drums, including all toms and bass. Anyone heard of a kit like this? Can you buy them anymore?

screamBRYAN

ive seen many of his truth kits but not the one you speak of... you could definitely buy wood rimmed snares, and probably buy from a custom dealer such as truth, an all wood rimmed kit... that sounds sick btw.

Benhamin

wood hoops look really good
dont know how they affect tunage
but they yamaha hoops you see on his are called
"yamaha style"
www.sjcdrums.com
go to gallery and look at "butcher whoops"
those wood hoops are sweet

wes_125

I saw The Academy Is... live, and their drummer used an SJC custom set, and all the drums have wooden rims... SJC makes a couple of sets like that... the drummer from Panic! at the Disco uses a similar one now..

drummerboy1991

i saw a wood rimmed snare at a shop.. and the guy said they r durable enough for rimshots and all but they give the drum a higher pitched tone because it vibrates with the drum more...its nothing id ever get...but it did look really good on a metallic black drum

truthkidkyle

i have seen that kit your talking about.
all custom companies (truth, sjc (shit), shine, ocdp ect)
can do wood hoops. and i know yamaha can as well.
the drums resonate more with wood but they get dented and break easier
than regular triple flanged hoops. its mostly just for looks though,
you won't notice that much of a difference.

anavrinIV

truthkidkyle":22rpdkri said:
its mostly just for looks though,
you won't notice that much of a difference.
wrong. wood rims are much more natural sounding and add depth and warmth to a drum set.

cell

I have an all wood rimmed ayotte custom kit, lovely sound, especially for recording with, and whereas my initial worry was that you'd catch them sometimes, it very rarely happens.

Of course, they look quite nice as well :wink:

m

303_Cliff":ebetu5y5 said:
Check out Po' Boy Drums out of Denver.
They have some sweet wood rimmed kits. They sound incredible and are affordably priced.
I have several Po Boy snares (and highly recommend them), and plan on getting a wood-rimmed one.
Very interested in a whole kit with wood rims-
you've played a wood-rim Po Boy kit? Could you share some observations on the tone?
thanks!

Alcyon

Where do you get Ayotte kits? I live in Vancouver where they're MADE but do they sell them out of the factory or what? Do you always have to special order them?

cell

Alcyon":zwgql492 said:
Where do you get Ayotte kits? I live in Vancouver where they're MADE but do they sell them out of the factory or what? Do you always have to special order them?
I'm pretty sure they're only made to order, however you can have it completely custom, or they have a range which is basically the typical sizes in the most ordered colours, which cost you less and doesnt take as long for you to get behind em.

Being from the UK I just had them ordered to suit, but i'd expect you'd be able to find a good deal over there?