Wood or metal

kplante069

I have been thinking about getting a new snare lately. I currently play a 14 x 6 13 ply maple I put together about 10 years ago & an acrolite I've had since I was 9yrs old (that makes it about a 78). Both have very good sounds, but very different. I need a good rock sound that won't break the bank.

anavrinIV

either of those will work. the acrolite is one of the most recorded snares in history and that maple will work wonders with the right tuning. theres no need for you to spend more than the cost of heads to get a good rock sound. use what you have.

VantheMan

i agree, metal dever really did it for my, i have a tama superstar 9ply maple and basswood, tune the maple up right and hit it with some rimshots and itll get the job done

anavrinIV

VantheMan":1rlw3fxy said:
i agree, metal dever really did it for my, i have a tama superstar 9ply maple and basswood, tune the maple up right and hit it with some rimshots and itll get the job done
you realize that superstars are birch, right?

Howepirate

metalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetalmetal

i cant explain my bond between me and metal snares .. i can tune them perfectly and use them comfortably with any style

my dream set (yes im weird) would be metal snare probably 13 x 5 oak toms of assorted sizes and a birch bass drum or 2....

idk i just love metal snares

drumr4life509

ive been a fan of metal snares myself despite actually building a maple one. I'm using a black nickel dw right now and I love it. I would say it comes down to personal preference though.

Bluestonered

I have a 14"x5&1/2"pearl export select wood snare (98model) for recording, it sounds warmer and has as good a sound as any, but lacks the volume for live work. But my fav is a late 70's Ludgwig steel 14x5 snare that my drum teacher gave to me as a 21st present. Ive done gigs where the sound guys tell me how much they love my snare. Ive been the support band for biggish bands where you only get 4 channels at the front desk because, well you're the support band. And it sounded better than the headliners with his top-notch sleishman snare that sounded boxy. And with all the knobs and toggles for their sound guy to work with and compress and fatten and whatever they do to bring out the sound, i got "snare" comments. The right tuning is important too, no matter what model snare you play!

AJ

Wood snares seem to have a warmer tone and can sound good throughout the range of tuning. Metal drums seem to sound at their best tuned tight put still have a ping that just wont go away unless you kill the drum with dampening.

ddrumark

well metal snare typicaly have more crack and power to them but they can really overpower everything else on your kit if you are in a recording situation,bell brass is a wonderfull metal for any situation but its extremely expensive,i play the black panther deep forest cherry 5.5x14 snare and it has yet to fail and its really cheep for how rare of wood its made from but if you are looking for power go with metal

Brian L

I would go with a wood snare because my Pulse drumset came with a metal snare and I have to put this ugly ass clamp thing on my Remo head to make it sound alright. Maybe its just that Pulse makes a POS snare, but I want to replace my Pulse snare with a Ddrum snare.

triggagnomic

Erm.... wood for me! I have a Premier Modern Classic 14 x 4.5 which I use for everything (almost). I have a 2003 Pearl Export 14 x 5 I use cranked all the way up. Also, I have a Beverly 14 x 4.5 steel shell somewhere that I never use. I'm buying a Dave Weckl signature snare from a friend soon coz it's the second best snare sound I've ever heard!! ( beaten only by the Akira Jimbo Bamboo) I used to have a Pearl Sensitone 14 x 5..... but I flogged it..... coz it was crap! :D

shiebcte

Im a wood fan. I have a 12x7 maple black panther that i love. It sounds really warm but has a great crack.

scotttyrcha

I've been using an old Tama metal snare with cast hoops for live situations but, I've used my Ludwig aluminum acrolite both live and in the studio as well. They both sound good recorded. For the more warmer tones I have a Ddrum 7x13 Maple with cast hoops and an old WFL 5x14 Mahogony snare that I've also used in the studio. Heads, tuning and snare wires make a huge difference in the way your drum will sound and respond. It comes down to what you can afford and what your preference is. Check out garage sales, sometimes they are a good place to find some nice stuff. Also, believe it or not, I've found some nice snares on ebay for reasonable prices.
Just my .2

goatatl

I'm generally a bigger fan of metal (8x14 free-floating Pearl might just be the ultimate Heavy Rock snare). The acros & supras are pretty rockin' as well, although I tend to favor the 6.5 depth over the 5". However, recently my main snare has been the 7x13 maple Tama, so I guess it just depends on the music (or your mood) Always nice to have choices

[/img]