Wood Hoops

If you've used wood hoops, would you recommend them?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

I was thinking about experimenting with some wood hoops on my snare. Can someone tell the advantages of using them and what are some decent affordable brands? Shogun

Alcyon

yeah, i'm curious too. joey castillo's snare sound with a yamaha hoop is awesome, and i'm also curious to know what the difference is between types of hoops.

SGarrett

I don't have a lot of experience here, but...

Wood hoops are supposed to resonate with the drums instead of choking the shell like a metal hoop can. I was given an Allegra 14x5 with a wood hoop to check out when I was at the drum shop...when they were a brand new company. I overplayed the hell out of it to verify that the hood wasn't just going to crack and splinter under heavy playing. I dented the hell out of it and broke a stick, but it stayed intact. If you play cross stick patterns, oh my lord do they sing with a wood hoop. A groove wedge ain't got shit on the pure and clear click. That's when that resonance thing really comes into play. I've also played the Pacific wood hoop snare and it was honestly one of the best sounding, lost cost, snares I've played. All in all, I'd give wood hoops three thumbs up if I had another hand.

Alcyon

The PDP looks soo nice, I've wanted to play/buy one for AGES but they never ship any here. Getting another cymbal next, but I might just order one next time I've got a couple hundred bucks. They look GORGEOUS with the tube lugs... And so cheeaaap...

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

SGarrett":2bksi9ur said:

Wood hoops are supposed to resonate with the drums instead of choking the shell like a metal hoop can. I was given an Allegra 14x5 with a wood hoop to check out when I was at the drum shop...when they were a brand new company. I overplayed the hell out of it to verify that the hood wasn't just going to crack and splinter under heavy playing. I dented the hell out of it and broke a stick, but it stayed intact. If you play cross stick patterns, oh my lord do they sing with a wood hoop. A groove wedge ain't got shit on the pure and clear click. That's when that resonance thing really comes into play. I've also played the Pacific wood hoop snare and it was honestly one of the best sounding, lost cost, snares I've played. All in all, I'd give wood hoops three thumbs up if I had another hand.
Cool...so you eh see a significant positive effect they had on the sound..that's exactly what i wanted to hear..thanks bro. Shogun

invision

wood hoops better your sound over all, i played one kit with all wood hoops and amazed at the sound it had, it was a older Ludwig kit.

SGarrett

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":ubkljjyx said:
SGarrett":ubkljjyx said:

Cool...so you eh see a significant positive effect they had on the sound..that's exactly what i wanted to hear..thanks bro. Shogun
Not a problem, my man.

Yeah, I'm really fond of wood hoops. I've yet to play a tom with wood hoops though. I forgot to mention that rimshots are seriously grin inducing.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

Ok.. now that i'm totally determined to shop for some wood hoops.. i can't find them!..My main online stores are Midwestpercussion.com, Musiciansfriend.com and Samash.com.. they each carry like only one set.. does anyone know where to find different brands online? Reliable and trusted online stores that would have a selection?

Shogun

christopherabruce

Does anyone make wood hoops out of anything but maple? I have maple hoops on my 5"x15" Ludwig Universal, but a softer wood like cherry or walnut would give it an even warmer sound. And I'm not a basher, so I wouldn't be too concerned about breaking hoops made of a softer wood.

-edit-

... well I guess someone does- http://www.stanbridgedrums.com. Now I'm going to mop up the drool.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

Getting frustrated here.. can't seem to find a selection of wood hoops anywhere.. i checked all the links left on this thread and the other "favorite online store" thread..can't find shit.. Sgarrett left a good link but kinda pricey.. i know i've seen them a little cheaper but i do understand quality is gonna be a little more expensive.. but cheap is my middle name..DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A WIDER SELECTION OF WOODEN HOOPS?.. goin crazy here...

Shogun :x

SGarrett

christopherabruce":2jzpx1vo said:
Does anyone make wood hoops out of anything but maple? I have maple hoops on my 5"x15" Ludwig Universal, but a softer wood like cherry or walnut would give it an even warmer sound. And I'm not a basher, so I wouldn't be too concerned about breaking hoops made of a softer wood.

-edit-

... well I guess someone does- http://www.stanbridgedrums.com. Now I'm going to mop up the drool.
Those, are bad-ass.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":2jzpx1vo said:
Getting frustrated here.. can't seem to find a selection of wood hoops anywhere.. i checked all the links left on this thread and the other "favorite online store" thread..can't find shit.. Sgarrett left a good link but kinda pricey.. i know i've seen them a little cheaper but i do understand quality is gonna be a little more expensive.. but cheap is my middle name..DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A WIDER SELECTION OF WOODEN HOOPS?.. goin crazy here...

Shogun :x
Ask TimeKeep69, he should know. Although the AMDrumParts.com link came from him. DrumMaker.com (also from TimeKeep69) has some but they're only about $1 less. In comparison, a pair of 13" 6-lug Yamaha wood hoops will run you $130. Anything else I've found is closer to $200 for the set.