Wood hoop vs. Metal hoop

Homki890

Lol. What a reply.

I don't know anything about wooden hoops, but my first impression would be that a wooden hoop gives a better rim knock sound, while a metal hoop gives a better rim shot sound. I have no idea about overtones, tension, or anything else.

Homki890

drummert2k

wooden rims i found tend to resonate a lot like the shell itself. the feel with wooden rims is differant and i personally thing they make the drum sound warmer and a little more full bodied.but im sure head selection and tuning will effect this as they do with any other hoops.

doggett68

yeah, the wood hoops are a MUCH cleaner sound, i like the acoustics a lot and it makes the whole snare sound much richer as a whole

ive always been weary of wooden hoops..
for one reason.....
durability....
i have a gretsch brass snare that i was playing for about 2 years....
heavy metal stuff, and it had basic hoops on it, i finally noticed, that all the rimshots, had bent the rim, for good...
so...is a wooden hoop going to dent, and eventually splinter?
any answers appreciated

anavrinIV

Murphimus Maximus":2dyodw4u said:
ive always been weary of wooden hoops..
for one reason.....
durability....
i have a gretsch brass snare that i was playing for about 2 years....
heavy metal stuff, and it had basic hoops on it, i finally noticed, that all the rimshots, had bent the rim, for good...
so...is a wooden hoop going to dent, and eventually splinter?
any answers appreciated
eventually it will if you do a ton of rimshots.

RogersDrummer

In my opnion, and boy I have alot of opnions....I think metal hoops are a complete joke when you compare them to wood hoops. Trust me, there is a huge difference. The tonal performance of your snare, or toms, will be greatly increased if you put Maple hoops on them.

Also, the are surprisingly durable. Of course it depends on how hard you hit and what type of sticks you use, but they will last a very long time reguardless. Wooden hoops are tough and i doubt you could get them to dent, unless you dropped them off the roof of your house :p

Hearing a maple set with maple hoops is heaven man...heaven..lol

rob

vargasdrumbeast

Oh one thing

would metal hoops damage your sticks more than wood if you hit the rim alot?,and would you damage the wood hoop if you hit it alot ?

RogersDrummer

vargasdrumbeast":2cffeqb3 said:
Oh one thing

would metal hoops damage your sticks more than wood if you hit the rim alot?,and would you damage the wood hoop if you hit it alot ?
From my experience, tripple flange hoops can be pretty sharp. They do chop up your sticks, but that depends on how hard you hit, and what type of sticks you use. Die-cast hoope are more forgiving. There are also hoops called "Stick Saver" hoops. They were used alot in the old days. They're bassically tripple flange hoops that have the top part bent inward. Those really do wha they say. You can get them off of drummaker.com

Wood hoops are very, very strong. It will take you years of hitting the rims with large sticks to get them to dent. I've had wood hoops on my snare for a long time now. I do about as many rim shots as Gene Krupa used to, and so far, there's hardly a scratch :)

rob

DreamT

Ok my buddy let me borrow his wood hoop for my snare to use in my metal band. I have to say I do hit VERY hard and this thing has not give in at all. I've been playing on it now for about 3 months 4 times a week and like I said I hit VERY hard. Anyways I'm not saying they don't sound good but wood hoops don't give me the same kind of ring I'm looking for that I get from a metal hoop. Just my opinion but for my style, I don't like them.