Women Drummers...

erincubus114

I've been playing drums since 5th grade. When I played gigs with my first band, everyone thought I was just a girlfriend of somone in my band. When we went for the band check-in, I always had to argue with the club workers that I was really with the band. They're all like "I WILL see you on that stage playing tonight, right?!" I'm just like fuck you. It pisses me off. I know that there's not a lot of girl drummers. And only a few of them that are actually good but that doesn't mean people gotta put a label on ME. I do love seeing everyone's faces when I get up on stage and start playing. It's just like a big FUCK YOU. :D

My 12 yr old shows interest in my drums from time to time. I would love it if she would allow me to teach her from my 20 yrs (and counting...) experience. I would so love to see her grab people`s attention.... looking like a "BRITNEY" and sounding like PEART...PORTNOY...CHAMBERS...

I have to admit that it still catches my attention when i see a female drummer. maybe sub-consciously i`m like most guys, waiting and hoping she fails. We tend to look at it like a male-only seat! I think it`s great that there are more females taking it up.

I hope my daughter becomes one!

punkdrummergirl

i am also a female drummer...and have loved playing drums for as long as i can remember (before i could reach the pedals). i have yet to play a gig...but i can't wait until i get that opportunity. i finally bought my own kit last year which led to finding a band to play with as well. i've been told by many talented male drummers that i have lots of potential. but i agree, it's hard to be taken seriously...especially when i first started going into guitar center wanting to buy my first kit. they just looked at me like, "what?" and i played and then i think i gained a bit more respect. haha. i just can't wait to go on stage and see the look on people's faces.

drumbot

You rock, rock!
I teach girls all the time to drum and love it and love them.
Don't take shit from anyone, we all do from time to time.
Find out what it is you do, love it and do it.
Sincerely,
Nathan

Denny19

I'm a female drummer, and I love the fact when I play with guys they're all like, "you sure you'll be able to keep up?" and I end up playing longer and harder than they do. 8)
I just love changing people's opinons about female drummers I suppose, especially as they're aren't many of us.

drumobsessed

erincubus, that's EXACTLY what happens to me at gigs (when we're headlining). my band goes in and if I'm last the guy at the door is like 'that'll be 8 bucks' and I'm like 'I'm with the band' and he goes 'sorry, you have to pay', and I have to insist that I'm IN the band. Same thing happens when we get there really early to load in, and I get comments like 'ohhh, check out the hot roadie' and shit like that. and I have to say 'no, I'm the drummer', and then I get a response like 'oh, like meg white?'. Fuck them I say! I'm finally meeting other female punk and metal drummers who really kick ass and it's a nice change, but there should be more of us.

TheRhythmest

erincubus114":1hvru8kv said:
I've been playing drums since 5th grade. When I played gigs with my first band, everyone thought I was just a girlfriend of somone in my band. When we went for the band check-in, I always had to argue with the club workers that I was really with the band. They're all like "I WILL see you on that stage playing tonight, right?!" I'm just like fuck you. It pisses me off. I know that there's not a lot of girl drummers. And only a few of them that are actually good but that doesn't mean people gotta put a label on ME. I do love seeing everyone's faces when I get up on stage and start playing. It's just like a big FUCK YOU. :D
Hey I say rock the hell on girl! Ive been at it for many years and most guys don't get it. think of all the Greats like Cindy Blackman ect. Hell I love watching a girl kick a dudes ass on kit and perc.
The truth is M/F we all bring somthing to the stage

DrumBustFixRepeat

Keep on keepin on ladies. I'm a guy. I'm 24 and I've been playing for close to 15 years. My sister (22) just recently became interested in learning. I'm doing everything I can to make sure she is as good or BETTER than me when all is said and done. She has only been playing for around 2 months and she is already way better than I was within the first couple of months :shock: . Rock on ladies!

:D

dcoy_drummer

to be honest i have had nothing but support for bein a girl drummer. the guys in the drum store 'rythem base' in Gasgow where nothing but helpful an informative to me the first time i was there an have helped me alot eversince, which i think is a good way to go in all drummin stores as i have been treated like i have been shoppin for someone else ie a boy.
being in a band with a girl bassist too also puts a spin on our band as she is outstandin in her field of expression.
am lovin being a girl drummer an have had no bad feed back an i hope it continues. to be honest i have never expected any as i feel that its an industry u either stand on your own two feet an get the credit or fall on ur arse.its all in ur own hand. girl or boy
XXDDXX

punkdrummergirl

dcoy_drummer":1gbdnm4r said:
which i think is a good way to go in all drummin stores as i have been treated like i have been shoppin for someone else ie a boy.
I just remembered when i actually bought my first kit...i was with my boyfriend at the time and as they were bringing it out for me to take home, some kids came up to my boyfriend and told him "hey, nice kit" and he had to be like, "uhh, actually it's my girlfriend's." haha...the kids looked at me like "sweet!" it was pretty funny.

Vetis

Truth be told, I have never met a female drummer. I dont know why it's such a big deal aside from the fact that 98% of the time I see a band, there is rarely a female member, which is a bad thing.

But I support you ladies all the way. We need more of the gals in music, and not just on vocals.

Fudman

not saying all femal dumers fit in this statment but the 1 or 2 i have seen seem "a little robotic" thats probly the problem the ones people see first rub them the wrong way then thay have a preconcived idea that the girl drummers probly not that good. I have heard gal drummers online that seem like thay can play and dont have that robotic feel. All I can say is rock on and keep doing what you're doing.

Rob Crisp

I've tought girl the drums in the past and they've actually been quicker on the uptake than many of the boys I've tought! Especially when you start breaking into dotted notes and more complicated music!

I have a friend who's a girl drummer and she's been playing for 18 months. She now has DW Collectors series and is signed to a label!

Girls rock, simple!

maximilian

i often find female students have a more intuitive sense of rhythm, which is linked to females genetically having better motor skills when it comes to dancing.
the reason behind a lot of female drummers looking robotic is an evolutionary remnant left over from hunting. the fellas were the ones throwing the stones and spears and we still have a knack for snapping our wrists at the end of a throw. ever heard the expression "you throw like a girl"? it comes down to fluidity in the wrists.
mind you, there are some amazing women drummers out there, and this cliche doesn't ring true for everybody.

Shaggy

I've played with a girl drummer before in drumline during high school. She might not have been the best in the line, but she worked harder than anyone else. It really is a shame that there is a bias on drumming/music in general. In my opinion, if you can drum, than whether you're male or female doesn't matter. It's about how you play. And besides, girl musicians, especially drummers, are freaking hot!!! :shock: 8)