WINTER NAMM 2008

JayGaylen

I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you to our booth, #3555, at NAMM this year. So many of you have done an outstanding job of making us aware of postings on this site, and so many of you have chimed in with your thoughts and comments. We welcome them all and thank you. And, if we can, we'd like to thank you in person at our booth.

While you're visiting, we'd also like to demonstrate our product and hopefully dispel many of the myths about drums, drum shell physics, construction, etc. Hopefully, you'll see that what we're doing at Ford is truly unique.

If you're truly interested in capturing your own sound, please explore the Ford Organic Series. These solid-shell, steam-bent drums are truly remarkable. You can capture a sound as unique as you are. Here are some ideas of shell type for you to consider: Sycamore, Ash, Catalpa, Purple Heart, Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Birch, Hickory, Osage Orange, Mahogany, Maple, Myrtlewood, Granadillo, Curly Cherry, Curly Maple, Cypress, Birdseye Maple, Fishtail Oak, Curly Oak, Curly Birch, Flame Birch, Curly Hickory, Bubinga, Zebrawood, Wenge, Canarywood, Figured Satinwood, Satinwood, Figured Rosewood, Bocote, Orange Cocobolo, Curly Mahogany, Figured Bubinga, Claro Walnut, and Blue Pond Myrtle.

Our shells are thick -- nearly 5/8". Why? Thicker shells are much more rigid and allow the sound to travel farther. They also provide much greater tuning range. Yes, this is contrary to popular belief. Most believe a thinner shell gives you a lower fundamental note and are more resonant. In reality, drum shells are sound chambers not unlike a guitar body. Think about this: if you were to string up a Gibson Les Paul on its thick solid body and tune to the low E string to an "E," it's going to be an "E." Put the same string on a thin hollow body guitar and it's still going to be an "E." Same goes for a drumhead on a drum. The thinness or thickness of the shell should not determine the head's pitch. We'd like to demonstrate that for you. Along with how we cut a bearing edge that's appropriate for the size of the drum permitting maximum head-to-shell contact. And how meticulously finishing the interiors of our shells aids in the drum's refection and projection.

Also give this some thought: if the sound wave is bouncing around the inside of the shell, how can that sound wave be affected by the inner plies and the glue between the plies? And, if the sound wave really can do all that, wouldn't the sound be affected as much by the glue between the plies and the plies themselves? Also, how can a sound wave change its nature if the inner plies consist of mixed woods and glue? That would be some sound wave.

So please, come by our booth. Let us present you with what we've discovered -- not theorized -- over years and years of being in the drum repair business and the custom drum manufacturing business. Look forward to meeting you.

Warmest regards,

Jay Gaylen

Timekeep69

I saw your drums last year. Bermuda Schwartz and I strolled by, Bermuda played them a little but I just enjoyed their beauty.

JayGaylen

Thank you so much. Let's be sure to connect this year. Perhaps we can grab some lunch or dinner after the show. Would love to talk drums with you. We too admire your work.

All the best.

J.

zen_drummer

Jay...

Is this an open invitation to a closed show that is generally open to Namm members and their guests?

I'd love to attend, please contact me via PM so you can get my contact information to send me my badges to attend.

; )

JayGaylen

Dear Zen Drummer,
We find many a consumer attends the show. Somehow they obtain badges through various connections. Unfortunately, all our badge assignments are in for the year. Perhaps you could contact NAMM (NAMM.org). They may be able to provide you with insights on how to attend.

Regards,

J.

zen_drummer

I know how to attend... As a Trick endorser I could get in on a pass from them. I was just amused at the open invitation to attend an industry event that is for NAMM members and their guests for the most part.

JayGaylen

Dear Zen Drummer,
I didn't mean to imply that it was an open invitation to attend NAMM but rather an open invitation to visit our booth should they be at NAMM. Apologize for any confusion.

Regards,

J.

shrub

Has NAMM always been a closed show? I used to know people that went and they never had any passes

zen_drummer

shrub":3a4xqeps said:
Has NAMM always been a closed show? I used to know people that went and they never had any passes
From the NAMM website:

NAMM Trade Show Badge Allotment Policy Statement:
NAMM Shows are trade-only events held annually to assist the association in fulfilling its mission to unify, lead and strengthen the international music products industry.
Trade show badges are required and must be visible at all times while inside the convention
A Word about Visitor Badges...
Because NAMM has a rich history rooted in the importance of family, a tradition at the trade shows has been that each employee attending the show for business reasons has also been allowed to invite a spouse or family member to be a part of the excitement of the show. Visitor badges are not for industry colleagues or friends.

Full details are located here:
http://www.namm.org/badgepolicy

zen_drummer

Jay, since most of the members of this forum don't qualify to take you up on your invitation, it has occurred to me that since you're anxious to get the word out about your dums to the forum members, maybe you could consider sending one of your drums off to me so that I can review it for the members of this site!

I'd be pleased to provide that service to the group.

Members... What do you think? Would you like to have me put a Ford snare drum through its paces?

Timekeep69

I think the invitation was directed towards me because he knows I frequent NAMM and we're both drum builders. I don't think it was an open invitation to the board.

If Jay wants to have Mike review a drum, I think it would be a great idea! I will personally vouche for Mike as an honest person and reviewer. I sent him a snare drum to review on the honor system and was not disappointed. Mike reviewed the drum and had it back to me in a timely manner.

zen_drummer

Timekeep69":2dslc06e said:
I think the invitation was directed towards me because he knows I frequent NAMM and we're both drum builders. I don't think it was an open invitation to the board.

If Jay wants to have Mike review a drum, I think it would be a great idea! I will personally vouche for Mike as an honest person and reviewer. I sent him a snare drum to review on the honor system and was not disappointed. Mike reviewed the drum and had it back to me in a timely manner.
Since we're feeling all warm and fuzzy about being honest... I had the drum back to P.J. about 10 days after I said I would... My job got in the way of having the time to really put it through the paces when I had originally planned to, and my secretary finally took to the drum to UPS 4 days after I told her to get it out the door "TODAY". She's a pretty good administrative assistant, just not too reliable at shipping things that have nothing whatsoever to do the business we're in... oh well.

JayGaylen

Dear fellow drummers,
Please receive the invitation to visit our booth in the spirit that it was intended. If you happen to be attending the show, we'd welcome the opportunity to meet you, present our products to you, and thank you for your support.

The reason we're in this business is our passion for the instrument and an inextricable commitment to providing drummers with a finely crafted instrument.

Hope to see you at NAMM.

God bless.

J.

Timekeep69

zen_drummer":3dw7hzd2 said:
Timekeep69":3dw7hzd2 said:

Since we're feeling all warm and fuzzy about being honest... I had the drum back to P.J. about 10 days after I said I would... My job got in the way of having the time to really put it through the paces when I had originally planned to, and my secretary finally took to the drum to UPS 4 days after I told her to get it out the door "TODAY". She's a pretty good administrative assistant, just not too reliable at shipping things that have nothing whatsoever to do the business we're in... oh well.
I sent a drum out for review about a month or so before I talked to you about reviewing one. I got it back literally a few days before I got my snare back from you and they have yet to post the review so even though you sent it back later than you said, you still got it back in a more timely manner than the other reviewer did.

m

would like to say hello if I make it out there this year.
Not sure about attending 2 years in a row, think I might wait a little longer- don't know how different the show would be this time around.

Atmerrill

zen_drummer":1r295nrp said:
I guess Jay missed my invitation to review a drum for those that cannot attend the show...
Hey Zen, I was going to call him and asked if he saw this - I know he's busy with a project right now. Hopefully, you'll get a reply soon (would like to see your comments). Also, liked your post on the "DW at Best Buy." Very insightful.

Regards,