Will lighting my cymbals on fire damage them?

HizardcoreMike

I laughed at the topic title. Imagine if 'cymbals' was replaced with 'car' or 'home'.

I went to a show at a place called hangar 84 last saturday. The place has an awesome light show system. One of the drummers poured water over his cymbals and when struck, a burst of color shrouded them because of the lights. It was cool. I say if you're playing at a place like that, just spray them with water.

SuNoAnBuKi

HizardcoreMike":2hst0uvo said:
I laughed at the topic title. Imagine if 'cymbals' was replaced with 'car' or 'home'.

I went to a show at a place called hangar 84 last saturday. The place has an awesome light show system. One of the drummers poured water over his cymbals and when struck, a burst of color shrouded them because of the lights. It was cool. I say if you're playing at a place like that, just spray them with water.

Yo are you from Vineland? You gotta be in Jersey at least. My band plays at Hangar 84 all the time.

HizardcoreMike

SuNoAnBuKi":vgbwnmez said:
HizardcoreMike":vgbwnmez said:

Yo are you from Vineland? You gotta be in Jersey at least. My band plays at Hangar 84 all the time.

Not Vineland, but Wildwood, about forty minutes from there. What's your band?

SuNoAnBuKi

HizardcoreMike":34oxrhyd said:
SuNoAnBuKi":34oxrhyd said:
HizardcoreMike":34oxrhyd said:

Aaahh right on. The Diminished Scale is the name of my band. Did you go to the Sleeping/Closure in Moscow show?

TheYardstick

choochoo":10sl2l66 said:
Try mixing styraphome in gasoline then spreading that paste onto your cynbals :twisted:

that is what we in nebraska call napalm.. (you probably really shouldnt do this)

Watching a video of people playing tennis with a ball covered in that stuff at midnight showed me how simultaneously awesome and dangerous that stuff is.

HizardcoreMike

SuNoAnBuKi":193xbyrd said:
HizardcoreMike":193xbyrd said:
SuNoAnBuKi":193xbyrd said:

Aaahh right on. The Diminished Scale is the name of my band. Did you go to the Sleeping/Closure in Moscow show?

Yeah it was NUTS. What an amazing live performance The Sleeping put on. All of the bands were great.
My favorite band there was a band called Phantasm from Philly. They did this awesome thing where they looped the drums and just played percussion over it. The bassist played at one point with a damn power drill. I met them and talked, they're pretty cool and we shared some musical tastes. Also I met the singer from Closure in Moscow. He proceeded to tell me how he played Nazi Zombies all day the day before and bragged about getting to level 27 with two people. He also wore a girl's tee with Audrey Hepburn on it. They were a bunch of characters....

I definately hear the glassjaw/circa influence in you guys. You guys are sick.

Right now I'm pumped for the Lady Radiator show on the 22nd. Youg guys should get on the card, I would love to see you live.

SuNoAnBuKi

Dude we were supposed to play that show we had to drop off at the last minute though .. so pissed. Glad you like the music .. we'll have new songs up real soon. I'm gonna email Chris about gettin on the Lady Radiator bill. I'm pumped for the Static Lullaby show. I'll be sure to let you know when we play next. If all goes well with FullMetal here maybe I'll try and light my cymbals on fire too. Haha

OnusPro

A guitarist/frontman once asked me to set my Zildjians ablaze. I said yes as long as he set his 1973 Les Paul ablaze. The discussion ended right there. Fire + high-dollar musical instruments=disaster. Just my opinion. If you wanna do it, go for it.

DRUMSMYWIFE

Hell I say do it, and if it doesn't work, then you will look completely retarded, but that's cool too. I mean did stupid crap when I was a kid. I'm sure we all did.

Damagedrummer

Vinnie didn't lite his cymbals, but his sticks. The flaming substance then dripped on his cymbals, while it continued to burn, creating little explosions when he hit it. Awesome sight. So maybe some mediumthick flammable substance on your sticks?

Yup, in the 5 Minutes Alone video. I saw him doing it on the set when they were shooting the video, on the Pantera Home Video part 3. Took him a couple times to get it, but it looked cool. Might have been Pyro Gel or something.

AmnestysLowEnd

Lighting cymbals/guitars on fire is actually pretty safe ,for the finish that is. When you "light the cymbal on fire" you are really only burning the fuel on the surface once it burns its self out or you crash the cymbal you only notice a slight rise in temperature. To change the sound property's you would have to have a damn hot flame and it would have to be on it for more than the 20 secs the fuel will burn.

I've tried it before on a squire bass and my cymbals with the shitty smelling axe/tag/whatever high school guys spray way to much of in the locker room to try and get the hot girl in math class to touch his junk and it only leaves a small residue that wipes clean.

skitch

fullmetaldrummer87":2vcva7ng said:
I've got a gig coming up next week and we've got a fire entertainer performing onstage with us.

I wanted to light my cymbals on fire, with some lamp oil or Zippo lighter fluid during our intro music but I'm not sure if it would damage them in anyway. I'm using Zildjian Z Customs. I've seen it done before. If any of you have seen the Pantera "5 Minutes Alone" video, Vinnie Paul lights his chinese on fire in the video. That's kind of what I'm going for.

Thoughts, suggestions?

No Great White jokes! hahahaha.

I would probably use some really worthy cymbals for this. ZBTs or the Paiste equivalent. Maybe on on each side of your drumkit.

Brother_Bong

skitch":3rb9uj6f said:
fullmetaldrummer87":3rb9uj6f said:
I've got a gig coming up next week and we've got a fire entertainer performing onstage with us.

I wanted to light my cymbals on fire, with some lamp oil or Zippo lighter fluid during our intro music but I'm not sure if it would damage them in anyway. I'm using Zildjian Z Customs. I've seen it done before. If any of you have seen the Pantera "5 Minutes Alone" video, Vinnie Paul lights his chinese on fire in the video. That's kind of what I'm going for.

Thoughts, suggestions?

No Great White jokes! hahahaha.

I would probably use some really worthy cymbals for this. ZBTs or the Paiste equivalent. Maybe on on each side of your drumkit.
And maybe turn them upside down so the burning stuff wont drip to the floor.