Will lighting my cymbals on fire damage them?

Thanks for the input, everybody.

Yea, I play Z Custom crashes, 17's and 16's. My two front ones are gonna be lit up, the ones at 11:00 and 1:00. I've got two other crashes at 9:00 and 3:00, on my rig, which aren't gonna be lit up at all.

I've already got clearance from the venue to play with fire. Like I said, we're bringing a fire entertainer with us, who is a friend of mine, and she's gonna be doing some fire poi, breathing and other fire tricks on stage with us. She's done fire entertaining with bands at this venue several times in the past. It's a fairly good sized venue with a good sized stage.

I'm gonna light my cymbals up during our intro music. I'm not gonna be crashing them while they're lit. If they don't go out by the time we hit off the intro music, well, I've got two other crashes in my rig that I can use. I'm gonna be using lamp oil, the stuff you use for those tubular oil lamps with the wick. I was reading that lamp oil is used in brass oil lamps too, not just the glass ones. So if a brass oil lamp can withstand that, correct me if I am wrong, my Z Customs should be able to withstand about 30-40 seconds of flame. Plus, it burns clean, and at a low temperature and it's ideal for fire performing. Besides, it's what my fire girl is using for her tricks.

I'm gonna give it a whirl today at rehearsal, and do a test on a cymbal.

Brother_Bong

Have a fire extinguisher handy, like right behind your kit. The thing that worries me about lamp oil is that it is a liquid, cymbals have bow to them, gravity takes over, and burning droplets of lamp oil fall to the ground. Or your drums, etc.

MrPaul

I wouldn't use lamp oil it will burn to long...try some zippo fluid its not as thick as lamp oil and burns better...less chance of spillage.

choochoo

SuNoAnBuKi":hed8b4lj said:
Cant wait to hear how this goes.
His next post:

"Oh my god, I lit my cymbals on fire and burnt my panis right off! Why didn't anyone warn me of the possibility of weener burns?"

blastbeats666

yeah im gonna have to go ahead and say no to that.
dont light them on fire and if you for some reason do, for the love of god dont hit them, because then you'll have a valley on the side of your cymbal which would not be fun for you

The alloy in my cymbals is repelling the flame and nothing will catch. Only thing that works is a mix of hand sanitizer and lighter fluid. Doesn't burn very long though. But it's pretty controlled, bright and can be blown out like a candle. Hmmmm......

The hand sanitizer is ideal because it's thick and doesn't run. That's what I'm trying to achieve. No running.

Yea, I got the fire extinguisher squared away. I took care of that a long time ago. I've already got safety precautions in place.

NocturnalDrum

I do it all the time...right before we kick in I add a couple drops of 90% alcohol (70% and under is harder to light) and light it a few seconds before we kick in. When you add the drops try putting it near the bell and only add about a cap full, dont want to overflow and make a mess. Make sure your crashes are level and not slanted to avoid dripping. When you strike it I kid you not it will be like a 3 ft flame that will ignite upwards. You'll be fine it evaporates quick.

I use paiste alphas for gigs and touring so Im not too worried about them, definetly dont do it on high end cymbals if you don't want damage. Also it might burn the cushionings a little so make sure you light it moments before you strike and not have it lit a long time.

Try it, take your cymbal stand outside in an open area and give it a few test shots.

NocturnalDrum":3irlxhno said:
I do it all the time...right before we kick in I add a couple drops of 90% alcohol (70% and under is harder to light) and light it a few seconds before we kick in. When you add the drops try putting it near the bell and only add about a cap full, dont want to overflow and make a mess. Make sure your crashes are level and not slanted to avoid dripping. When you strike it I kid you not it will be like a 3 ft flame that will ignite upwards. You'll be fine it evaporates quick.

I use paiste alphas for gigs and touring so Im not too worried about them, definetly dont do it on high end cymbals if you don't want damage. Also it might burn the cushionings a little so make sure you light it moments before you strike and not have it lit a long time.

Try it, take your cymbal stand outside in an open area and give it a few test shots.
Yea, well, when I started this topic and throughout the week leading up to the gig, I experimented with several options, on an LP RanCan chinese cymbal that I had retired sometime last year after it cracked. Still had it laying around. Mixed some hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, sprayed it on in a heavy mist and let there be fire, a great looking display of fire. Nice bright flames. I found that it was the only thing that worked, and burned bright. And it didn't do any damage.

The gig was a different story though. Sprayed it on and my Z's wouldn't catch at all. Sprayed same amount that I did on the chinese. I think it was the alloy in the cymbals or something, repelling the flame, just like everything else I tried on the Z's.

I'll try the straight 90% next time, in the spray bottle, so I don't get spillage. I found that the spray bottle, on the mist setting, works the best for applying your fluid. No worries about spilling or dripping. Go to the dollar store, grab a spray water bottle and put your fluid in it.

choochoo

Try mixing styraphome in gasoline then spreading that paste onto your cynbals :twisted:

that is what we in nebraska call napalm.. (you probably really shouldnt do this)

metldrummer2112

choochoo":1z6m9i8l said:
Try mixing styraphome in gasoline then spreading that paste onto your cynbals :twisted:

that is what we in nebraska call napalm.. (you probably really shouldnt do this)
That should really sound like a horrible idea. But I want to try it soooo bad now