WHY IS EVERYONE BASHING TRAVIS BARKER?

OCDPskyler

This is a topic I see EVERYWHERE! I am getting really tired of it too.

Travis Barker is my favorite drummer and my main influence. I grew up listening to Blink and if it wasn't for them and especially Travis I wouldn't be on this message board talking about this. He is indeed a very good, and talented drummer in many ways. You may not like him or blink, or whatever it may be. But I see so many people saying "He sucks" and "he is a sell out" he doesn't suck he is a very good drummer and musician all around. I think people are confusing the whole thing. They may not like him but that doesn't mean he sucks. Just because I'm not a big Neil pert fan doesn't mean that he sucks, because I know he is a very good musician and drummer but I just don't like his style. And I know Travis Barker isn't the "Best drummer" I don't think anyone is. I think every drummer has their own unique way of playing or writing or whatever it may be. Let's just stop bashing all of these drummers I don't care who it is your not proving a point by telling people that they suck or aren't good at what they do. There is a drummer out there for everyone.

BillRayDrums

Because he got real successful and is a badass drummer who has influenced thousands so the haters are jealous?

The only critique I have is this: he has RUINED his skin (wait until he turns 50....all that ink will have faded and there's really no way to fix that) but other than that, more power to him.

drummert2k

im a huge travis fan, so when i see a travis hating post i reply to it. and since i've been on this board i think theres only been 2 or 3. but it seems like a lot of the people who bash him dont even take the time to listen to anything except the blink songs that were radio hit. and to be honest, whats my age again, rock show, feeling this..... not travis's best drumming. or they dont like the pop punk genre, which i dont either but if it wasnt for travis i wouldnt even waste time listening to blink or boxcar or plus 44 or transplant. travis is an extremely talented drummer but has also worked his butt off to get where he is.

and i agree with above. the tattoos are cool but he went a bit overboard. still a great drummer though.

The MP

Travis is good, hes not a metal drummer so get that out of heads right now but im sure he is more the capable to do so if he so choosed, he plays what he wants and hes one hell of a groove machine, the mans good hes a pro and to all the haters out there, come on now? do i see your name on drummerworld.com? naw, open that fat head of yours and learn to be open minded and more creative and stop saying whos the best i think thats the worst karma a drummer can consume is giving only one great the fabled title.

anavrinIV

hes good. i dont like his style but hes good. do i listen to his work? not really. why? i like prog metal. pop/punk is boring and uninspiring to me...ill take dream theater, tool, and opeth any day. plus, his kit basically started this 4 piece revolution that i revolt against and i hate his setup...all the high and flat stuff sucks for my style.

drummert2k

anavrinIV":vnfhvpca said:
his kit basically started this 4 piece revolution that i revolt against and i hate his setup...all the high and flat stuff sucks for my style.
very true. you see that a ton now a days with drummers mainly of that genre but it bled through to others as well. i think it looks kinda cool but i would never do it. do much work to have to jump every time you wanna hit a cymbal.

but dont hate on him for the set up, he's been doing that for years and years and years before most of these other drummers even started playing out live.

craigyp

People who bash him are just jealous. i think he's an awesome drummer - has some really cool fills and rhythms. i like what he does in "when your heart stops beating" (but can't say i love the song that much :lol: )

i've tried setting my kit up like his - everythin flat as flapjack - but found it quite awkward... so now, angles make me smile! 8)

craig.

anavrinIV

drummert2k":1yol86jv said:
anavrinIV":1yol86jv said:
his kit basically started this 4 piece revolution that i revolt against and i hate his setup...all the high and flat stuff sucks for my style.
very true. you see that a ton now a days with drummers mainly of that genre but it bled through to others as well. i think it looks kinda cool but i would never do it. do much work to have to jump every time you wanna hit a cymbal.

but dont hate on him for the set up, he's been doing that for years and years and years before most of these other drummers even started playing out live.
i dont hate barker for his setup, in fact i dont hate him at all. thing im tired of is people who have no creativity and set up their kit exatly like barker because he can play it very well. case in point, ocdpskylers set. his set looks exactly like barkers because that is his favorite drummer. im a big fan of portnoy, peart, and lars but i dont set my kit up like they do (closest to portnoy, minus the size, but it doesnt look like a direct copy).

power to barker for being able to start a revolution but im sick of hearing people say "i can do so much more on a 4 piece than on a monster".

mattsmith

craigyp":1j0jzby8 said:
People who bash him are just jealous. i think he's an awesome drummer - has some really cool fills and rhythms. i like what he does in "when your heart stops beating" (but can't say i love the song that much :lol: )

i've tried setting my kit up like his - everythin flat as flapjack - but found it quite awkward... so now, angles make me smile! 8)

craig.
Well I think a lot of this has already been covered before, but it's a little too easy to say the word jealousy as an answer to all things. He's obviously a good drummer and has influenced a lot of young guys. Most of his rub I think comes from the crap pushed out there by over the top press agents who for the purpose of selling their product want you to believe he's the second coming of all things holy. Now none of this has a thing to do with Barker himself. I would bet he doesn't even read that stuff. But I would assume this most likely rubs less successful, but more skilled drummers the wrong way. So if there is a jealousy issue, it's about the success and not as much the playing...although again, that's not to say that the guy can't play, because he absolutely can play.

I think the fan base also plays into this, as it does with Jordison. I mean look at those comments on youtube. If someone comments in any way at all that doesn't demonstrate total almost cultlike devotion then you're hating on their guy...and it's always their guy as if they're hanging out with them or something.

Look it's not as simple as that. Many times I've seen in a forum, 10 comments in a row go on and on about how Barker is the world's fastest drummer, how he would slay a WFD, how he marched in the Santa Clara Vanguard (which wasn't true but not a story he started), his awesome pad skills etc...and he is very good, has a friendly relationship with WFD, looks really strong doing his rudiments on a pad, but he's not God and he's not the fastest or the world's greatest technical or groove drummer. Well, say what I just said to a truly hardcore Travis lover, and you're labeled a hater. And the Jordison fans are probably even worse, when I hear he's this really nice guy too who doesn't understand some of his hardcore fans either.

I think all of the above then brings out the frustrated drummers who were mean people before they ever played the drums. They are the ones who call Barker the bad names, talk about how he sucks etc...because they are just smart enough to know the truth, but are not talented enough to do anything about it. So they find tiny weaknesses in his playing and try to make them big deals, so they can feel better about their sorry excuses for lives.

Boo McAfee at WFD says that Barker is one of the nicest guys in the business, and I believe him. He's not bragging on himself or anything, but if that not altogether true press is causing big trucks to back up large sums of money at his house... then he's not stopping it either.

Would you?

Timekeep69

Yup jealousy.

I wouldn't say it's because he's not a metal drummer. Joey Jordinson gets the same thing. I've seen just as many "Joey Jordinson sucks" threads as "Travis Barker sucks" threads.

They're both in your face drummers and some people don't like that.

mattsmith

Timekeep69":31id3oeu said:
Yup jealousy.

I wouldn't say it's because he's not a metal drummer. Joey Jordinson gets the same thing. I've seen just as many "Joey Jordinson sucks" threads as "Travis Barker sucks" threads.

Dude, did you even read the post above you? How can you argue against any of those points? See this is what I'm talking about. Just gloss over a perfectly fair pros and cons dialogue as if it never happened. I don't see how this helps your case or gets more people to accept your viewpoint.

SuNoAnBuKi

Nice. I'm glad to see a topic on here like this. I'm a fan of Travis and Joey just the same (their older material at least) and I hate seeing people who thrash them and others for liking and modeling their kits after their's. Sure it might be annoying to people who don't like seeing so many flat as a pancake kits with high cymbals, but I cant stand seeing a drum set with the toms tilted and the cymbals super low. Everyone has different preferences and comfort levels and the sooner we realize that and stop the whole "This guy sucks because his drums are set up this way" crap the drumming community will be a lot more at peace.

Timekeep69

mattsmith":3ha32u77 said:
Timekeep69":3ha32u77 said:
Yup jealousy.

Dude, did you even read the post above you? How can you argue against any of those points? See this is what I'm talking about. Just gloss over a perfectly fair pros and cons dialogue as if it never happened. I don't see how this helps your case or gets more people to accept your viewpoint.
I think YOU need to re-read MY post. I'm not arguing any of your points.

What exactly do you think my viewpoint is?

Rockula!

There's also the fact that he became successful playing teenybopper music
I wouldn't call it jealousy so much as the fact that some people don't respect that path
Lots of people hate Marilyn Manson for getting famous by using teenybopper gimmicks and then sking to be taken seriously

For some, it's not a problem that he's successful
It's the path he took to get there
Personally, I could deal with the music if it wasn't such easily digestible crap
The entire pop punk genre makes me wanna vomit

Do I hate Travis Barker for being successful?
No
Do I have respect for the way he got there?
No

I have not read much on him but I also have noticed a lack of "take me seriously" quotes coming from him
He may not suck but the genre he helped create sure does

hardcore_drumm3r

Travis Barker isnt amazing annnd, hes overrated. but, he can play any style/genre of music. in that area he's good but his solos are usually lame :?

OCDPskyler

anavrinIV":3n00xyrf said:
drummert2k":3n00xyrf said:
anavrinIV":3n00xyrf said:

i dont hate barker for his setup, in fact i dont hate him at all. thing im tired of is people who have no creativity and set up their kit exatly like barker because he can play it very well. case in point, ocdpskylers set. his set looks exactly like barkers because that is his favorite drummer. im a big fan of portnoy, peart, and lars but i dont set my kit up like they do (closest to portnoy, minus the size, but it doesnt look like a direct copy).

power to barker for being able to start a revolution but im sick of hearing people say "i can do so much more on a 4 piece than on a monster".
Acually that is not true, I just have the same company of drums as travis. I like my rack tom tilted and a little higher. and I like my floor toms tilted a little towards me. And I like my snare flat unlike barker he has his snar pused forward so its tilted the other way. I don't like my crashes touching the clouds. The only cymbal I have high is my A sweet ride because its good for crashing on in heavier songs. My sizes are different too. I got what I wanted and I set them up how I feel comfortable.

PatternsInTheIvy

Travis barker is just as overrated, if not, MORE overrated than any other drummer. And as Rockula said, I don't hate that he is successful, I hate they way he became successful. I would say that he is a solid drummer, but I wouldn't give him any more credit than that. Hes not brilliant, or great, or even too much above standard. He does make up some pretty creative stuff for the genre he plays though.

anavrinIV

OCDPskyler":q38ydrk6 said:
anavrinIV":q38ydrk6 said:
drummert2k":q38ydrk6 said:
anavrinIV":q38ydrk6 said:

Acually that is not true, I just have the same company of drums as travis. I like my rack tom tilted and a little higher. and I like my floor toms tilted a little towards me. And I like my snare flat unlike barker he has his snar pused forward so its tilted the other way. I don't like my crashes touching the clouds. The only cymbal I have high is my A sweet ride because its good for crashing on in heavier songs. My sizes are different too. I got what I wanted and I set them up how I feel comfortable.
i never said a thing about you in either post...

but on that note, i cant see a single crash in any of your pics. to me, those cymbals are up high. also, your hihats are nearly at the top of the rod and your snare is at least a foot lower. those hats are up high.

iatemygoat

i never did understand why people would choose to use a 4 piece kit. i got bored with my 5 piece so i started adding on with randon shit. first a double pedal, then cowbell, then experimented with new cymbals(china, ice bell, splashes...)

eventually it grew to an 8 piece monster with 4 crashes, a ride, 2 chinas, an ice bell and 3 high hats!!(at one point i had a side snare too)

but ive since downgraded to a 6 piece and far less cymbals. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyways, this post kinda turned into not talking about travis barker soooooooooo....ummmm....no comment.

The Wes

travis is great at what he does. i love hs stuff and ill be honest the guy is a TECHNIQUE GENIUS. he was 1st chair snare captain as a sophomore in HS. wow. just go on drummerworld and look at the vid of him pkyaing on that black marching snare..... wow. he is a groove machine! some of his 16th note patterns could be the drum track to the next hit rap song. he has blazing speed, great double bass tech, and showmanship.

BUT!

HE HAS NO DYNAMICS! OUCH!

he plays full blast all the time.... i know that goes deeper into the values of punk drumming, so ill 'let that one go' haha..

he's great at what he does..... i would gain a ton of respect if he showed up at PASIC next year in a suit and played a straight-ahead jazz/fusion solo :) now THATS the mark of a great musician.... versatility.