why do i always lose my nylon tips?

mute

ok, i like to use nylon-tipped sticks cause i like the crisper sound on the cymbals. however, i often lose that nylon tip and am stuck with a brand new stick that's almost useless (i'm poor, so i still use them). what makes that happen? is it the sticks i use (vic firth, hickory)? possibly my z-bell?
appreciate it.

in addition, hello y'all; i'm new here.

loop

First of all, welcome to the forums! I used to have the same problem with nylon tipped sticks(I don't use them anymore) - I'm sure you can glue the tip with a good result :)

mute

thanks!

so you guys seem to think it's the sticks. are promark hickory? i switched to those because they splinter more than just snap, and i break stuff often: sticks, cymbals, everything that costs money.

sp4zium

i've used standard zildjian 5A nylon tips for a couple months now... they still haven't come off. but other than that, i prefer the sound of wood on the drums... so I tend to use the Mike Mangini laminated bierrch signatures... best damn drumsticks i've ever used.

zerodogma

I use the Promark 747 Naturals w/ nylon tip and haven't had any problem with the tip cracking / coming off.

You might try putting a few drops of super glue at the base of the tip where it meets the wood... that might help (who knows... its all I could think of). :roll:

Good luck

brian

try out the promark chris adler 5AX series sticks they are incredible, or another thing you can try is Ahead sticks i love both of them!

Spydr2000

I expereienced the same problem with VicFirth sticks. If you write them they will most likely replace them for u. But you'll have better luck with the promark 747 nylon tip. But certain model promarks do this not all.

mute

ok, i glued it. we'll see how it works.

i think i'm gonna take this advice about pro marks. i was playing yesterday and my brand new vic firth 2BN snapped. pissed off, i grabbed my really old sticks (2Bs) that were so worn down that they're now less than half an inch in diameter at the wear-down spot. sure enough, those were the random pro marks that i'd gotten at a local store years ago. i feel like i only ever find vic firths at guitar center. i'll start seeking pro marks.

side note question: is there a better wood than hickory for non-snapping?
i mean, i can't use those old pro marks (from above) because they're so worn down now that they bend a lot when i hit anything and it just feels weird, but i like the fact that they lasted to that point instead of snapping. any thoughts?

thanks again!