Why Bash Lars Ulrich???

This is a topic that has really gotten under my skin....Why do so many other drummer's bash Lars Ulrich?? I have heard everything from Napster, to his skills, to his snare drums sound on St. Anger (WTF?), to even him being Danish for crying out loud. First of all I am not afraid to say that Lars is one of my influences. Second the man is a better drummer than people put him out to be. If Lars Ulrich sucked at drums he wouldn't be with metallica (the top heavy band of all time). If Lars Ulrich sucked he would not be endorsed by Tama and Zildjian. Yes alot of his drumming sounds the same, BUT IT WORKS doesn't it? He puts the punch in most of there songs. He doesn't have to be showy to be good, he can keep time and add meaning to a song. case and point..Lars is a good Drummer, he always has been

CASCINAIDRUMS

Phantomdrummer87":1g8r09ki said:
This is a topic that has really gotten under my skin....Why do so many other drummer's bash Lars Ulrich?? I have heard everything from Napster, to his skills, to his snare drums sound on St. Anger (WTF?), to even him being Danish for crying out loud. First of all I am not afraid to say that Lars is one of my influences. Second the man is a better drummer than people put him out to be. If Lars Ulrich sucked at drums he wouldn't be with metallica (the top heavy band of all time). If Lars Ulrich sucked he would not be endorsed by Tama and Zildjian. Yes alot of his drumming sounds the same, BUT IT WORKS doesn't it? He puts the punch in most of there songs. He doesn't have to be showy to be good, he can keep time and add meaning to a song. case and point..Lars is a good Drummer, he always has been
I agree with you 100%

Spydr2000

Phantomdrummer87":3jy5ej4b said:
Yeah Lars is ok, I would consider myself just as good as him, he just made a hell of alot more money than me at it. But one thing his snare sound on St. Anger was really bad. I think Lars has gotten alot better since his earlier days with Metallica, he use to have a terrible timing problem.

I agree about his snare....it made me cringe, but I actually found out how he achieved that sound. he simply turned off his snares there is a video on youtube.com where he tells a fan that. It really turnd me off to buying his signature snare until i found out it wasn't the real sound of the drum itself

tepiddrummer

Lars is a great drummer, and he's probably had some influence on my style. But the Napster thing is why I despise him. He's whiny. He has publicly put down all of his fans, so why should I listen to him play?

If I ever get to the level of stardom Lars has achieved, you won't hear me bitching about how little money I make. I'll always appreciate people who want to hear me play, unlike Lars.

meinldude69

i agree with evrythng tht u posted
if there wasnt lars
i wudnt be drumming

it bugs me win ppl bash on other drummers period
its stupid
all drummers have their own style and way of playing drums
jus accept it and grow up

mikebodrums

i think it is the way he presents himself in his interviews, him and kirk act like douche bags everytime i see them on tv but james acts cool as hell..

I really liked a lot of Lars older stuff and even some of his newer playing, he is definately a good drummer and has influenced a ton of people.

I guess when the whole sayin anger thing came out with that twangy snare, it must of thrown people for a loop. It really kind of blew me away to hear that snare sound on their new album, and although I can't speak for everyone who's heard that album, I think that a majority of drummers out there heard that twang and were amazed that the engineer as well as Lars let that slide. Like I said before in a previous post, I heard that what Metalica were trying to accomplish as a band was to go back to the
older days and make themselves sound like they did back in the day, but I don't think I've ever heard Lars snare sound that bad. I don't think he's a bad drummer, I just think his snare sounded like crap.

British Boy

Many of you guys couldn't be more wrong. For a very clear start:

If Lars Ulrich sucked he would not be endorsed by Tama and Zildjian.
Endorsement has no reflection on a drummer's musical or technical ability. It is an endorsement deal because the company has to benefit aswell. The reason Lars is endorsed by Tama and Zildjian is because he has huge publicity. Loads of silly kids with wealthy parents want to be like him, so they buy the gear that he uses, therefore the companies make more money.

stidger

lars is a great drummer
some of the kick patterns he plays are great and mettalica have been one of THE most influencial metal bands ever
If you listen to some of the early Metallica tunes (especially the instrumentals) some of the patterns played are really intricate and time sigs / styles melt together

it really gets me pissed off when people bang on about the napster thing
a musician sticking up for thier rights is not a bad thing
anyone who knows anything about Metallica knows that they used to encourage fans to record their shows and copy it to friends.
The napster thing was about some one else selling music 3rd party in prder to make money off the back of someone elses talent and hard work without the musicians involved being asked permission

yeah, Lars can be outspoken and vocal, and sometimes says stupid things but then who doesnt.

there, thats got that off my chest !

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

okay. lars was good. really good, but now hes just a wimp. look at the guy, like im a freshman is high school and i could probobly beat the guy up, i love old metallica but ive lost all of my respect for them now.

-andrew

s1ngleton

Not that I'm incredibly well-versed in knowing the ins-and-outs of this industry, but for me the Lars bashing ultimately boils down to who he presents himself as. And from what i know about this industry, if you have the skill and the work ethic, hey that's great. Stupendous, even. But it's your personality and your etiquette that should get you far. Lars has that aura of "Hey I don't know how I got here, but I did and I'm damn good too" about him. Just a complete turn off.

RLRRLRLL

Lars was one of my first major influences so drumming-wise I have no problem with him (though that snare sound on St. Anger did bug the hell out of me)...it's the way he and the rest of Metallica presents themselfs personally that makes me give them little to no respect whatsoever.

When I was younger, I thought Lars was awesome. He has a good SOUND, which is what I liked about his drumming in the first place, but that is usually because of the microphones and mixing. Influencing others doesn't make him a great drummer. Some of his parts are fun and exciting, I'll give him that much... but it, often, sounds like slopped together aggressive playing. Even the rest of Metallica recognizes that Lars isn't a great drummer. Just watch the VH1 special on them.

dougthedrummer

As a drummer Lars is a great drummer.As a person on the other hand the whole napster thing spoiled me on him.Here was a band that made it by passing out free CD's at shows in bars,and small clubs.They would have never made it to the heights they have made it without the free stuff they handed out.Now they make a few bucks,and all of a sudden NO MORE FREE STUFF!!!!You were welcome to all of our stuff when we were eating bologna sandwiches,but now that we are billionaires...you don't deserve anything else.Lars really ruined it for ALL of METALLICA.Thats a big reason Jason left..he didnt think fans downloading songs was a big deal.

Mikkey

I think alot of people bash him because they "liked the old Metallica and hate the new" and find him to be the principle downfall of that band. I was never a Metallica fan but I do like "And Justice for All" -which has some awful sounding drums on it, but hey blame the producer. The Napster thing didn't help his image because he was the most vocal of the band about it. And he makes a boat load of money for playing, which most people don't make. Plus, anyone who is old enough knows that Exodus is the original kings of Thrash metal and a way better six string duo with Holt and Hunolt.

Alcyon

Pretty sure Lars is just in Metallica because he's lucky. If he hadn't started the band with Hetfield, he wouldn't be in it. The fact that every two-bit starting metal band plays mostly Metallica covers should be a giveaway.

tepiddrummer":1qx39i8s said:
Lars is a great drummer, and he's probably had some influence on my style. But the Napster thing is why I despise him. He's whiny. He has publicly put down all of his fans, so why should I listen to him play?

If I ever get to the level of stardom Lars has achieved, you won't hear me bitching about how little money I make. I'll always appreciate people who want to hear me play, unlike Lars.
i will say that lars wasnt the reason i started drumming or kept doing it either but he has been a big influence on my playing. when people say they dont like lars i dont think theyre thinking about his drumming its the other stuff he has done which has pissed people off and then through that they have targeted his playing ability although i must say myself i think lars has the wrong attitudes towards drumming and music maybe. the napster ordeal plainly showed that he was starting to just become more n more concerned with making more n more money even though he probs had enough at that point to live happily ever after. i think thats what made people hate lars that he had lost the point in starting a musical instrument in the first place which was to make music not money. then after that it was just mistake after mistake. the snare drum might not sound like a big thing but it sounded horrible face it, n that in turn made people once again question lars drumming ability coz if he couldnt hear that snare sounded shit then there was a searious problem (either he doesnt care or hes getting old n doesnt have the hearing he once had).

lars for his day back when metallica started was a pioneer in the style n genre he played but he did what alot of rockstars do he basically had the attitude "ohh im the best i dont need to try anymore no one can touch me" and was quickly over taken. now his sloppy control of dynamics and flow makes him comparable to most 17 year old passionate drummers of today. n dont give him the excuse hes old coz i will reel you off hundreds of names that have decades on him n run circles round him face it the fame n fortune went to his head he stopped caring about his rep as a drummer n cared too much about the money he was making.

n also just for the guy who said hes good coz he has endorsement deals it doesnt work like that. if you have a famous face that will make little kids go "OHH I WANNA TAMA COZ LARS HAS ONE" then you will be offered endorsements

lemoncleanser1

Alcyon":3db4hbm7 said:
Pretty sure Lars is just in Metallica because he's lucky. If he hadn't started the band with Hetfield, he wouldn't be in it. The fact that every two-bit starting metal band plays mostly Metallica covers should be a giveaway.
I totally agree.... I find covering Metallica tunes boring. Especially when every guitarist wants to play Master of Puppets, Sad But True, Bells... etc... I find Lars to be very basic in his style... But 25 years ago it was not considered basic. I think the Lars following is more out of respect for the man then his ability.

p.s. i think we should all let Lars know if he is ever pull a snare stunt like St. Anger again... he should warn us at least