Why am I so different ?

dave lynch

I have noticed that I'll get my toms and snare smoken as far as sound, but they're harder to play..The head surface is a bit sloppy feelin..I mean they'll kick total ass as far as sound and be in great tune but hard to play. Then I'll go play someone elses kit and it's like what ever I want to do is so much easier but the sound isn't there..I see all these videos of folks and they have great sound and I can tell that they also must have great head surface to play on, but it still isn't the sound I'm trying to get...Does anyone else here have the same problem ? Perfect sound but hard to play !!

anavrinIV

when you get the sound you want, turn all the lugs up 1/4 turn i on both top and bottom heads. the sound will be just a little higher but it will be just as full and should sound just as good. if its the depth of the drum that makes it sound good then youre sol unless you get different heads.

SGarrett

Everyone hate's this answer, but it could be your technique. The reason why other people's kits are easier to play is because the tighter heads give more stick rebound. Check out the links I posted in the "Double Bass With Single Bass" topic. That guy can play fast double strokes on his thighs. A great thing you can do is practice on a pillow, to a click set to around 60bpm. It's not a speed exercise, it's a control and strengthening exercise. Start with your stick pointing up at 12:00, let the tip of your stick fall forward as your hand chases it down (that way you stay as relaxed as possible), and then return the stick to 12:00.

dave lynch

anavrinIV":2z70clfu said:
when you get the sound you want, turn all the lugs up 1/4 turn i on both top and bottom heads. the sound will be just a little higher but it will be just as full and should sound just as good. if its the depth of the drum that makes it sound good then youre sol unless you get different heads.
Well I've tried that and it seems I get a choked sound....It's a compromise thing I guess...Just have to sacrifice speed to play the sound I like...Thanks my friend..I'll try it again tho !!

dave lynch

SGarrett":1q9xp8oj said:
Everyone hate's this answer, but it could be your technique. The reason why other people's kits are easier to play is because the tighter heads give more stick rebound. Check out the links I posted in the "Double Bass With Single Bass" topic. That guy can play fast double strokes on his thighs. A great thing you can do is practice on a pillow, to a click set to around 60bpm. It's not a speed exercise, it's a control and strengthening exercise. Start with your stick pointing up at 12:00, let the tip of your stick fall forward as your hand chases it down (that way you stay as relaxed as possible), and then return the stick to 12:00.
Ooohh man I agree with that technique thing..You know what ? I do that pillow thing...It could be possible that I do that so much I'm looking for the same feel on the drums..I even do the deal of trying not to make the pillow sink..In other words try to pull the fabric back up with my back stroke..I think it's a mental thing..I see guys that'll make anything sound great and I'm stuck on this deal where everthing has to be perfect or else...Maybe that's why I can play other kits sometimes and just play..it's not my tuning..it's not my drum kit..I didn't tune em...So I get that who cares thing and just play..Hmmm..I might be answering my own question at this present time..LOL Thanks for your input my friend..!!

SGarrett

dave lynch":1qf7mng7 said:
SGarrett":1qf7mng7 said:
Ooohh man I agree with that technique thing..You know what ? I do that pillow thing...It could be possible that I do that so much I'm looking for the same feel on the drums..I even do the deal of trying not to make the pillow sink..In other words try to pull the fabric back up with my back stroke..I think it's a mental thing..I see guys that'll make anything sound great and I'm stuck on this deal where everthing has to be perfect or else...Maybe that's why I can play other kits sometimes and just play..it's not my tuning..it's not my drum kit..I didn't tune em...So I get that who cares thing and just play..Hmmm..I might be answering my own question at this present time..LOL Thanks for your input my friend..!!
Hahaha. That's a distinct possibility. I tend to be a little too much of a perfectionist at times, too. :D

What's your grip like? Perhaps you're relying too much on rebound when you get to actually playing? Just throwing ideas out there.

dave lynch

SGarrett":29ozk421 said:
dave lynch":29ozk421 said:
SGarrett":29ozk421 said:
Hahaha. That's a distinct possibility. I tend to be a little too much of a perfectionist at times, too. :D

What's your grip like? Perhaps you're relying too much on rebound when you get to actually playing? Just throwing ideas out there.
Wow I love your questions...Funny but I don't like a bunch of rebounding other than the snare and even then I don't like it unless I'm doing closed rolls, but I'm not all that fast and maybe I should learn how to use rebounding..I will confess that I am gettin old these days and I really have never practiced a whole bunch..I've played more off than on..LOL...Maybe my bones are gettin tired too..haha...No really It's more mental..I'm sure of that..Ummm..at least I hope that's the case..That can be fixed..You think ? Ughhhh..!!

SGarrett

dave lynch":30q3liyt said:
SGarrett":30q3liyt said:
dave lynch":30q3liyt said:
SGarrett":30q3liyt said:

Wow I love your questions...Funny but I don't like a bunch of rebounding other than the snare and even then I don't like it unless I'm doing closed rolls, but I'm not all that fast and maybe I should learn how to use rebounding..I will confess that I am gettin old these days and I really have never practiced a whole bunch..I've played more off than on..LOL...Maybe my bones are gettin tired too..haha...No really It's more mental..I'm sure of that..Ummm..at least I hope that's the case..That can be fixed..You think ? Ughhhh..!!
Thanks. :D

I was going to try to explain what grip I use, but a picture's worth a thousand words. So here's three of them. :D
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/ ... rip002.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/ ... rip004.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/ ... rip006.jpg

Aside from that, the mental aspect is very possible to get over. You just have to practice on your kit as much as possible.

Aside from either of those, this might work. I'm guessing that you're going for a fat sound, maybe trying to raise the pitch of the batter heads and lower the pitch of the resonant heads. That'll give you a low first note from the resonant head and a higher secondary note, for a pitch bend effect. If the batter's still a little too high pitched for you, some MoonGels or zero rings should do the trick. You can make your own zero rings out of old drum heads.

dave lynch

SGarrett":2nqtzw9o said:
dave lynch":2nqtzw9o said:
dave lynch":2nqtzw9o said:

As far as grips the 1st one is it, the 2nd one I have my 1st finger tighter and the 3rd is it...Hmmm..the 2nd one..I must look closer to that..and oh yeah..you're getting close to what I mean as far as sound..I like a long tone but with major crack that will handle speed...That's one thing I luv about my Starclasic Maples...they have sweet crack and a long tone but can handle speed..It's just me..Your 2nd grip..What does that do for you ?
Thanks. :D

I was going to try to explain what grip I use, but a picture's worth a thousand words. So here's three of them. :D
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/ ... rip002.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/ ... rip004.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/ ... rip006.jpg

Aside from that, the mental aspect is very possible to get over. You just have to practice on your kit as much as possible.

Aside from either of those, this might work. I'm guessing that you're going for a fat sound, maybe trying to raise the pitch of the batter heads and lower the pitch of the resonant heads. That'll give you a low first note from the resonant head and a higher secondary note, for a pitch bend effect. If the batter's still a little too high pitched for you, some MoonGels or zero rings should do the trick. You can make your own zero rings out of old drum heads.