whos the best drummer now since buddy rich died?

tamarocker

me and my friend were discussing this the other day. we all know that buddy rich was the god of drums. but who takes the throne now? i was saying i like neil peart, mike portnoy, stewart copeland, and tony royster jr. but he said what about the metal drummers now a days? you have people like jason bittner and james sullivan. so any suggestions guys?

drummert2k

back in the day of buddy, jazz and swing were the big styles of music that ruled the era. now with all the genres and sub genre's its impossible to pick whos the best. maybe pick out a genre and see who the favorite drummers are. but with the hundreds of little genres you cant say someone is better at everything than anyone else.

and bitter and the rev are great but far far from being conidered "top throne "drummers. theres a lot of great metal drummers out there, but it seems like for every one drummer who really works a lot more abroad than metal, theres 3 or 4 drummers that thing speed is what makes them good.

demonicAngel

well, i have to dissagree SLIGHTLY! right now the genres that are getting popular are always the most complex stuff like meshuggah for example. Now who's the best at keeping odd times stacked on times, crazy limb coordination and the whole packadge of control...

... id have to say it's Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez (that's his name, im not racist) man, he's freakishly good. His tapes are BADDD man, he's got worshipers from almost every genre from gospel to crazy.

TheYardstick

Jason Bittner is pretty great, but there really is no best anymore since there are so many different styles.

Probably you could pick the best of each sub genre, but not the best drummer.

PatternsInTheIvy

George Kollias and Derek Roddy are up there. They can play just about everything out there. People complain they don't have the "feel," but thats just a bunch of bullshit because they are attempting to save there drummers which only play that one style that Derek and George end up destroying. Of course there are exceptions, but I would say they are definitely some of the best all around drummers.

demonicAngel

BillRayDrums":bsk3a7at said:
Vinnie Colaiuta. There's nothing the man cannot do or has not done. He's got my vote.
Vinnies one of the greats, that's true, but i dont really think he's the best, Dave Weckl is better to me because he's got a looser grip when he plays. When vinnie plays, it kinda looks like he's choking his sticks still a bit too much, you can hear it a bit when he plays too...

How he hits, like his motion is alright i guess, but what happends to the stick after the hit isn't really, he should be more concerned with that too i think.

is that enought detail for you?

Timekeep69

I'm sorry but there is no best drummer. There is no drummer who is the master of all styles or genres of drumming.

The best drummer is merely your opinion.

BillRayDrums

demonicAngel":2o7tiqo5 said:
BillRayDrums":2o7tiqo5 said:
Vinnie Colaiuta. There's nothing the man cannot do or has not done. He's got my vote.
Vinnies one of the greats, that's true, but i dont really think he's the best, Dave Weckl is better to me because he's got a looser grip when he plays. When vinnie plays, it kinda looks like he's choking his sticks still a bit too much, you can hear it a bit when he plays too...

How he hits, like his motion is alright i guess, but what happends to the stick after the hit isn't really, he should be more concerned with that too i think.

is that enought detail for you?
(Ignore filter on)This reply has been removed by the author.

mortem

BillRayDrums":1sallpl6 said:
Great choice... but my vote goes to Steve Gadd.

Timekeep69

Vinnie Colaiuta is definately impressive. I was most impressed by him when after YEARS of playing pop rock, he recorded an album with Megadeth. You'd never know that that was his first metal album.

demonicAngel

hahaha, then we can all enjoy the video featuring all 3 drumming at the same time on drummer world! Vinnie, Steve, and Dave.

drumr4life509

demonicAngel":2zke6nx1 said:
well, i have to dissagree SLIGHTLY! right now the genres that are getting popular are always the most complex stuff like meshuggah for example. Now who's the best at keeping odd times stacked on times, crazy limb coordination and the whole packadge of control...

... id have to say it's Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez (that's his name, im not racist) man, he's freakishly good. His tapes are BADDD man, he's got worshipers from almost every genre from gospel to crazy.
Haracio is the man thats for sure ima big fan of his. But i also agree with the second comment with all the genres these days its impossible to say one drummer is the best, instead you have stand out drummers from every genre. Instead if one guy its basicly a small group.

RogersDrummer

These "who's the best" topics are so friggin' lame. There was no "God" of drums. Buddy Rich was great, but contrary to biased opinions, Buddy is by no means the best drummer. There's simply no such thing.

Personally I've always prefered Louie Bellson over Buddy Rich, and if I where to choose who would compare most to Buddy, it would be Louie. In my opinion, they were equally matched in technical ability and speed. The reason why I always perfered Louie is because he always seemed to have a slight edge - he played with feeling and emotion. Buddy just played as fast as he could, ripping out rudements at blazing speed. This is impressive to alot of people, expecially people who arn't musicians. But, as we all know, it's not how fast you play, it's how much feeling you put into your playing.

BillRayDrums

RogersDrummer":ruv9ruyk said:
These "who's the best" topics are so friggin' lame. There was no "God" of drums. Buddy Rich was great, but contrary to biased opinions, Buddy is by no means the best drummer. There's simply no such thing.

Personally I've always prefered Louie Bellson over Buddy Rich, and if I where to choose who would compare most to Buddy, it would be Louie. In my opinion, they were equally matched in technical ability and speed. The reason why I always perfered Louie is because he always seemed to have a slight edge - he played with feeling and emotion. Buddy just played as fast as he could, ripping out rudements at blazing speed. This is impressive to alot of people, expecially people who arn't musicians. But, as we all know, it's not how fast you play, it's how much feeling you put into your playing.
I concur. The "best" drummers in my eyes are those who embody good humanity. Humility, versatility in their instrument, and willing to listen and share their knowledge freely. Some of the "best" drummers listed I've had the occasion to be in their presence. A couple of them were downright jerks. Their attitude completely obscured anything they could express on their instrument.

And that my friends is why I have a "built-in ignore button". It took me many years to develop it but hey it works great!!

veklynvhyz

stuart copeland, my idol, hero, and biggest inspiration in drums. he can pull a sound out of a snare drum like no other drummer. im not saying at all that hes the best, but he is my fav. drummer. along with dave weckyl, and stanton moore.

demonicAngel

BillRayDrums":1fdkite4 said:
A couple of them were downright jerks. Their attitude completely obscured anything they could express on their instrument.
I dont want to play the name game, but when i saw Dave Weckl live in montreal well... after the show i whent up to him and sayed, Man what you played was really great, it was inspirational. His response was "Yeah, Of cours you liked it." Like if your obligated to liked it. After that i never saw that piece of ... the same way.

You finally meet your idol, and he was a complete dick to you. I wasn't even in highschool yet when this happend.

Timekeep69

hehehe...kind of like in that video of Buddy Rich when someone yells out "Go Buddy!!" and his response is "Shut up!"