Who's first??

keith bushey

I thought this would open a good conversation...Who learns their part first in your band, drums or guitar?? Our band?...its usually me. I'm a practice hound. Once we pick a song to learn, it goes into the MP3 player, to the drum module, then to the headphones! Usually by next practice I have my part down, and have to sit and watch our guitarist figure it out. I laugh, and they get pissed. Who's usually first in your band?

rufus4dagruv

We haven't worked on any new covers lately. We have 85 in the arsenal, which is plenty for now. When we did learn them, whoever brings it to the table usually would provide a recording of the song. We would listen to it a few times, pick out the key licks and changes, then run through it a couple of times. That's usually all it takes. Our bass player is usually the last to pick something up...and the first to forget his line. :roll:

SGarrett

I'm of the opinion that practice should be done at home and band rehearsal should be for songs that are already learned or at the point of working on.

I'm a practice hound too and am usually the first to learn new songs and/or arrangements.

dwtoast72

SGarrett":uh5ba174 said:
I'm of the opinion that practice should be done at home and band rehearsal should be for songs that are already learned or at the point of working on.

I'm a practice hound too and am usually the first to learn new songs and/or arrangements.
I sooooooooo agree... I used to play in this cover band called PushButtonWar here in germany (all soldier band)....and our bass player was the biggest dirt bag of a musician i've ever seen in my entire 25 years of existence!!! This idiot would come to practice and struggle through bass parts....not because he had no talent (God knows, he had talent...loads!), but because he'd rather beat-off in his barracks room than plug his new 3500 dollar bass into his practice amp and practice the songs we'd decided to play... It was so bad, in fact, that when we played shows out on the economy, he'd make it through the first half of the first set; he knew those songs....but the other half of the first set and throughout the rest of the other 3-4 sets, depending, it was "hey, Tony (guitarist/vox) what are the chords???" while ON STAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

SGarrett

dwtoast72":1vrxmlki said:
SGarrett":1vrxmlki said:

I sooooooooo agree... I used to play in this cover band called PushButtonWar here in germany (all soldier band)....and our bass player was the biggest dirt bag of a musician i've ever seen in my entire 25 years of existence!!! This idiot would come to practice and struggle through bass parts....not because he had no talent (God knows, he had talent...loads!), but because he'd rather beat-off in his barracks room than plug his new 3500 dollar bass into his practice amp and practice the songs we'd decided to play... It was so bad, in fact, that when we played shows out on the economy, he'd make it through the first half of the first set; he knew those songs....but the other half of the first set and throughout the rest of the other 3-4 sets, depending, it was "hey, Tony (guitarist/vox) what are the chords???" while ON STAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate that! I was briefly in a band with a bassist who literally couldn't take the time to learn the bass line to Sunshine Of Your Love at home and then took almost half an hour of rehearsal time, before a show, to figure it out. "No, no, no, don't show me...I'll get it!" This guy would also literally make a fist and pound on his open E string, making the worst clatter of a sound through a very loud rig. I finally told him that he had to get a lot better if the band wanted me to stay around. He actually told me that screwing his chick was more important than practicing at home. See ya!

kErmit vOn zOmbie

we just play. we learn things as a band(s). it works out a lot better that way. all of us can just walk into situations and play on the fly. sometimes the strings will ask whaqt key its in, after that we roll. it's cool.

SGarrett

kErmit vOn zOmbie":1yq2bizj said:
we just play. we learn things as a band(s). it works out a lot better that way. all of us can just walk into situations and play on the fly. sometimes the strings will ask whaqt key its in, after that we roll. it's cool.
Depends on what style you're playing. If you're talking jam based music, that works. But if you're talking something that should be played the same way every time, it's a little different.

kErmit vOn zOmbie

SGarrett":2ewpwi6t said:
kErmit vOn zOmbie":2ewpwi6t said:
Depends on what style you're playing. If you're talking jam based music, that works. But if you're talking something that should be played the same way every time, it's a little different.
Agreed if you are playing the pit in Vegas or someone is paying you serious cash you'll/they'll want an exact arrangement everytime, but other than that if you are a pro, you should be able to walk into ANY gig and perform anytime, anywhere, any genre. Metal, Pop, Hip Hop, Soul, Country, Rockabilly, Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz, Surf, Jam based, Bad synth crap whatever... play for the moment, play for the song, own it! I call it working without a net. Congrats on posting number 1666!!!!! Keep up the good work!

SGarrett

kErmit vOn zOmbie":1f2fd4cc said:
SGarrett":1f2fd4cc said:
kErmit vOn zOmbie":1f2fd4cc said:
Agreed if you are playing the pit in Vegas or someone is paying you serious cash you'll/they'll want an exact arrangement everytime, but other than that if you are a pro, you should be able to walk into ANY gig and perform anytime, anywhere, any genre. Metal, Pop, Hip Hop, Soul, Country, Rockabilly, Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz, Surf, Jam based, Bad synth crap whatever... play for the moment, play for the song, own it! I call it working without a net. Congrats on posting number 1666!!!!! Keep up the good work!
Very true. I can play most things, just not the jazz and latin so much. :D

Oh wow. I didn't even notice that. I'm a post whore! :lol:

plai-gretsch

I'm in an original band, but I work a lot so don't make as many jam sessions, however I generally like to hear the guitar and bass rhythm then put drums with that, unless we do a cover (very rare) then i listen to the song intently, and if I can find a solo of the drumming or tabs, and learn it from there

drumur

This is the professional way to go about it.
I feel that if anyone didn't learn the song, then it should be put on the back burner 'til next time. It's not fair to subject the rest of the members to that kind of unprofessionalism.

EOTE_drummer

if we want to learn a cover, we all decide on the song, go home and learn it, come back to practice and bam!

that easy.

keith bushey

Ditto! When one of the band members has'nt a clue to whats going on, I stop it right there. To me, you don't show up to practice to learn what you should have been doing at home!

eml

Our guitarist is the only one who can actually pick stuff up from just listening, he has about 10 years of lessons behind him. The other three have very little to no lessons taken, and me and the bassist have only played for 3 months. The guitarists picks the song up either at home or by remembering how it goes (he remembers song and lyrics surprisingly well) and just plays it kinda. While he plays it for the first time I start jamming around to find a good sound, and I go by that. For each time we play it I try to change some parts which doesn't sound very good, and leave those who sound good already. Our bassist seldom plays the real basslines due to being so new to the bass. He recently bought a book containing scales and whatnot so that'll improve hopefully. :)

After all we're all very good friends and we hang out pretty much daily, so we don't mind. We have a lot of fun when we learn songs and we usually pick on the one being the first to make an error in a song. :D

Edit
Oh and I don't have a drum set at home so I can't practice at home anyways, except for table drumming which is pretty fine to find the tempo and remember the parts where the drums does something cool.

dbkman

I'm with about 6 bands, and the way that seems to work best with all of them is we all make alot of time available and just learn it all together. So we can feed off each other and what not. Sometimes ( depending on how hard the song is ) I'll go home and work on it, but seeing as most of the bands are church bands...I usually just improvise the whole way through. Christian contemporary is very predictable music. But I turn up the heat with most of the songs. :-D a.k.a. overplay. lol