Who likes to get there drink/smoke on before a gig?

Reverend Chainsaw

I rarely even drink before a gig anymore. I might have a smoke of green, but that’s it. Most important thing to remember is, you gots be safe on the drive home. They only time I get buzz before a gig is when I am not driving, that’s when I load my drums in my guitarists suburban and he does all of the driving! :D
Anyone else like to get there buzz on before a gig?

break the prism

i sometimes get high before i go into a writing session, but never a jam session or a show. i feel a lot more musically competent when i'm straight.

iatemygoat

im really big on playing sober. get 2 drinks in me and im sloppy as fuck. a little green and i get really slow.

perfect example of why i think this way.

this past saturday my band played a show. the guitarist and bass playing thought it would be a good idea to drink a bunch of vodka before the show. our bassist took an hour and a half to load his bass amp into the club and FORGOT HIS BASS at our practice space. so he didnt play. on top of that they left the door to our practice space wide open the entire time we were gone.

Kaos

I usually drink a little after set up before I get on stage it usually lets me play loose so I don't cramp up. When on stage I alternate between water and beer cuz usually Im there to party. I don't take life to seriously when im playing I sweat so much I don't have a chance to get drunk so Im usually good.

It's my band's little ritual that we do a shot together before the show, but that's the most I'll touch before a show. After the show though I like to talk with the other bands and the people at the venue and I'll have a few drinks then.

TrunJun

Well since no one else is going to speak positively about it...

I thoroughly enjoy getting baked before a show. It calms my nerves a lot and it helps me focus a lot more. Its also extremely intense because a lot of the times we get kids who mosh, and theyre only about 10-15 feet away from me, so it just makes me feel like God... Herbals definetly are a plus for any gig or session in my book. I dont advocate it for everyone tho, some people's genetic makeups are different than mine... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

trstn

I don't smoke any more for over 7 years now ( no tabaco for 4 years ) and I'm glad that I stopped.
I like to have a shot of Jaegermeister or something just before the show. I always like to quote Ford in this occasion "Muscle relexant, you'll need it" ..
But I prefere to play gigs sober, but I also enjoy a few beers while rehearsing once in a while.

rock
trstn

phr0sty

throughout the night, (which is usually 4 sets of 10 songs or so) i'll have 3 beers TOPS. drinking will make you sloppy and DEFINITELY slower!

smoking the ganj won't hurt though.. only if you smoke like once in a blue moon, i guess.. but i can't vouch for those people.. :D

ChrisNichols

Shot of white rum and a cigar before going on stage. Gets you loosened up nicely, I find. But I wouldn't DRINK drink before or during playing - that's just recipe for disaster. I like to have me a nice cup of tea nearby during gigs, for breaks between songs.

I won't lie though, I just get HAMMED at the backstage parties...

Gaddabout

If you're not certain of the benefits of moderation (or even teetotaling), check out what rock and roll party poster boy Eddie Van Halen looks like at 54 (before checking into rehab) ...

This is what he looked like in his 20s

broozer

maybe a couple of drinks before the show and i don't smoke weed, never have. i do however smoke a lot of cigars when at a show: before, during and after.

bruce

TrunJun

Gaddabout":2gdeco1s said:
If you're not certain of the benefits of moderation (or even teetotaling), check out what rock and roll party poster boy Eddie Van Halen looks like at 54 (before checking into rehab) ...

This is what he looked like in his 20s

Yeah, because WE ALL KNOOOOOW that if you smoke pot you'll turn out looking like you've been through the f*cking third world war. No offense man, but get a life lol...

trstn

This is a drummer forum, keep this stuff out of here. I have my personal opinions about smoking weed. I stopped, and had my very good reasons. That's a personal descision.

I don't see any good in starting an argument pro or contra any drug (ab)use in this forum. This thread needs to be closed befor it starts flaming in here too much. Or you guys keep it relaxed please.

infiznitch

absolutely not dude. maybe guitars can get away with it with their heavy distortion, but singers/drummers should NEVER drink/smoke before a show. not that anyone care about singers, but you should tell the singer in YOUR band not too because it tightens up the throat! no good. As a drummer you need to be TIGHT and on top of your game. Sorry, but unless your playing something that allows you to be sloppy, then you should definately not drink/smoke before a show. Anything which requires tight double bass, hi-hat grooves, requires you to blend, play accurate fills, play with dynamics, play in time, play with sensitivity, improvise, solo, tough endurance, or singanddrum at the same time should NOT be combined with drinking and smoking... in otherwords, if you play virtually ANY type of music at all DONT DO IT!!! Now, i quit smoking weed this past year, so i can't say anything about that, but after a show, i got no problems getting plastered. But using drugs to overcome stage fright is silly. You'll get used to the stage after a while, and it won't be as intimidating... until then lay off the drugs homie!!

phillippowers

I USED TO drink several beers before and during each gig. I play gigs everyday and my gigs are usually 3 hours w/ no break. So, I'd either have one of the vocalists get me beers when they had their breaks (they get breaks sometimes, but, not me...) or I'd just stock up before playing. I got to the point of where I was drinking 8 or 9 Budweisers in a 3-4 hour span of time and feeling nothing...and never having to urinate from my bladder expanding (that's a condition I like to call 'gig-bladder'.) I always felt 100% sober. One night I was driving home and ALMOST got my ass arrested...I decided from then on, no more drinking and driving! Almost every musician that I play w/ has had a DUI, so I just decided to stop doing that...even if I feel sober. And at this point, I don't even drink anymore anyway, so it's all good. I have only drank one time this year (in mid-January)...I quit out of boredom. :) I think ultimately, it's better to perform sober. Sometimes a shot of the ol' whick-whick will get you loosened up and put a little fire in ya...but, I still think it's better to just play sober for most people. Also, when we are driving home from gigs, is when all the drunk people are leaving the bars...so, it's better to be sober in case you have to dodge some drunk drivers (which I have had to do on quite a few occassions.)

killdrum1983

i think everybody has his rituals before shows, his own ways to react to things and especially to alcohol and drugs (even to soft drugs) so it's hard to say no or yes... personnaly i do smoke a bit before a gig and i try not to drink too much, just a bit. Why? because i know that my body reacts better to weed effect then alcohol. That's why i don't drink that much cause the deal is to play good music and kick ass so if 'im drunk i know i will screw up...

But i do smoke a bit before a show to get me relaxed or because i want it :lol: I think the most important is to think : does it have a bad influence on my play or not? and if not, why not having a smoke or a drink. :D

EmbodiedDespair

I always smoke a bowl before I play, granted I have some green. Personally, I feel it gives me a superior level of concentration that gives me better timing. I don't think anybody I know disagrees with me

Naicitrom

I prefer to get absolutely wired on Red Bull before going on stage. Shoots your concentration levels through the roof.
And a dab or two of speed never goes amiss, helps you concentrate and play faster for longer without getting as tired out.