Who is the greatest drummer of all time?....

i want to know who you think is the greates drummer of all time and please dont say John Bohnom beause he way easy to play and and i could out play him any day

screamkevin

This question has been pretty much outlawed here on the forums. It's all up to people's opinions and perceptions. There is no "best" of anything, it's all subjective. So please quit asking this juvenile question. Thank you.

mute

wait, this question is outlawed but it's okay to ask who are the top 10 drummers or who is the best live drummer? that doesn't make any sense.

of course it's all opinion and perspective, but the question was who we all think is the best drummer. that's legitimate.

Gaddabout

saveadrumbangadrummer":37ckg3o2 said:
i want to know who you think is the greates drummer of all time and please dont say John Bohnom beause he way easy to play and and i could out play him any day
If you're going to out-play him, first you have to spell his name right. It's John Bonham. Second, you should probably think twice about calling out a drummer who has inspired some the most influential drummers of the 20th Century, including Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Simon Phillips, Gregg Bissonnette ... I could go on, but I didn't want to have to list the entire LA and NY session drummer lineup. In Nashville and New Orleans, Bonham is practically a saint among legends like Stanton Moore.

I suspect your ears are too inexperienced to hear the complexity of Bonham's playing. There's more than just notes going on there. Trust me.

screamkevin

mute":7jnmqfiz said:
wait, this question is outlawed but it's okay to ask who are the top 10 drummers or who is the best live drummer? that doesn't make any sense.

of course it's all opinion and perspective, but the question was who we all think is the best drummer. that's legitimate.
No, it's not okay. The purpose of asking "What's the best" of anything is to establish a firm, rock-solid globally accepted order. That is impossible to do in music, since one man's Bozzio is another man's Peart. Who are we to judge who is the "best" at anything?

It is okay to ask who your favorites are, or who you prefer, but saying who is the "best" implies something that nobody here (or anywhere) is qualified to judge.

m

Gaddabout":3kp1hcfd said:
saveadrumbangadrummer":3kp1hcfd said:
you should probably think twice about calling out a drummer who has inspired some the most influential drummers of the 20th Century.
yeah, I'm afraid it's likely you'll alienate a lot of folks coming into a new forum with that sort of post.
There's a reason Bonzo is so influential.
If you can really play through his whole discography (with a single bass pedal), kudos to you! That's quite an education in percussion of itself, being familiar with everything Bonham recorded. It's deep, man~
"Good Times, Bad Times" is quite a workout.

The thing about him was that he had a certain flair, an individual sense of taste- he played what was appropriate. The deceptive nature of his complexity was that he could squeeze things in that wouldn't normally fit, he used nuances of shading/texture/beat divisions that you might miss if you don't listen very closely. Many times he played against/across the prevailing feel with a part that in theory shouldn't have worked, but did- in a big way. Maybe you've already noticed that about his playing, and those factors just aren't as important to you, but I just thought I'd share why I like what the guy did.

Pinage

btw I think the above post to my first one, which was describing Bonham's style. I believe the word to describe him would be, "Swagger." That's just my thoughts while reading your post. Well said...

mortem

Gaddabout":j3jl779r said:
saveadrumbangadrummer":j3jl779r said:
If you're going to out-play him, first you have to spell his name right. It's John Bonham. Second, you should probably think twice about calling out a drummer who has inspired some the most influential drummers of the 20th Century, including Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Simon Phillips, Gregg Bissonnette ... I could go on, but I didn't want to have to list the entire LA and NY session drummer lineup. In Nashville and New Orleans, Bonham is practically a saint among legends like Stanton Moore.

I suspect your ears are too inexperienced to hear the complexity of Bonham's playing. There's more than just notes going on there. Trust me.
what he said.

...bashing Bonham... psh!

Gaddabout

m":2ol2993p said:
Gaddabout":2ol2993p said:
saveadrumbangadrummer":2ol2993p said:
you should probably think twice about calling out a drummer who has inspired some the most influential drummers of the 20th Century.
yeah, I'm afraid it's likely you'll alienate a lot of folks coming into a new forum with that sort of post.
There's a reason Bonzo is so influential.
If you can really play through his whole discography (with a single bass pedal), kudos to you! That's quite an education in percussion of itself, being familiar with everything Bonham recorded. It's deep, man~
"Good Times, Bad Times" is quite a workout.

The thing about him was that he had a certain flair, an individual sense of taste- he played what was appropriate. The deceptive nature of his complexity was that he could squeeze things in that wouldn't normally fit, he used nuances of shading/texture/beat divisions that you might miss if you don't listen very closely. Many times he played against/across the prevailing feel with a part that in theory shouldn't have worked, but did- in a big way. Maybe you've already noticed that about his playing, and those factors just aren't as important to you, but I just thought I'd share why I like what the guy did.
Good run down. The most amazing aspect of Bonzo's playing to me was his rare ability to combine raw rock power (and few ever hit as hard as he did) with legitimate blues/funk feel. It's really, really hard to play at that volume with that kind of feel, which is a big part of his legend. The guy could play a modern shuffle as wonderfully funky as Bernard Purdie, and that's really saying something. Everything he played was sincerely genuine. There was no pretense, no "this is may playing rock, this is me playing blues, this is me playing shuffle," etc. etc. He just played with an earnestness that bleeds through the music, and without him Led Zeppelin is probably just another second-rate British blues band.

There's a reason why guys with more chops than him and more of a ... funky/fusion pedigree think of him as a hero.

Flatliner

The greatest drummer of all time? He hasn't been born yet, and the answer won't be known until humanity ceases to be.

skitch

Sorry - I never got into Led Zeppelin and I never got into Bonham either. No disrespect meant but their music never appealled to me. As a soloist, Buddy Rich has been coming into my focus but there so many styles that Buddy seemed out of place on. I will agree that Bonham did influence a great many drummers, but nobody played funk better than the Motown drummers, Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen, Uriel Jones. Then there are the drummers of James Brown.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

Gaddabout

skitch":1c6cq97s said:
Sorry - I never got into Led Zeppelin and I never got into Bonham either. No disrespect meant but their music never appealled to me. As a soloist, Buddy Rich has been coming into my focus but there so many styles that Buddy seemed out of place on. I will agree that Bonham did influence a great many drummers, but nobody played funk better than the Motown drummers, Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen, Uriel Jones. Then there are the drummers of James Brown.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Just to be demonstratively clear, in no way was I suggesting Bonham was the greatest drummer ever. Was simply defending Bonham (post-mortem) from an immature boast.

I don't think we should see MAKING MUSIC as a kind of sport or some empty contest. So I don't share the idea of "selecting" the "best" drummer.

(remember MAKING MUSIC??? thats what's drumming all abaout!!! )

So, I couldn't select just one between all drummers.

Danny Meazell

There is really no need to disagree. Louie Bellson is one of the best, Thomas Lang is another, Buddy Rich. I really do not think there is any ONE! The best with doubble basses I have seen is Pete Sandoval, and Tim Waterston. I think it would ever be possable to agree on any one. And Yes Bono was one of them.
But that is me.
I think the very best drummers for each one of us are the ones that you admire, and make you want to aspire to be better your self. For each person that may be a different drummer. Many always said it was Buddy Rich including Rich himself. But I know even though he claimed to be the best he did not really belive it himself though he was in the top 5. Buddy once signed the inside of a snare drum. It said To Louie Bellson, the Worlds greatest drummer! Buddy Rich. If you ask the drummers you think are the best if they are the best they will more than likely tell you, No so in so is the best drummwer! Like I said the very best drummers are the ones that you admire, and make you want to aspire to be better your self.Danny

xUODx

look you can call it juvenile or whatever, but the fact is that Buddy Rich is by far the greatest of all time.....when you consider that he was so ahead of his time and didnt have all the gadgets we drummers these days are spoiled with.....
and you will hear all today's great drummers: Dave weckl, Steve smith, steve gadd, vinnie colaiuta, Dennis Chambers.... they all say that buddy rich was way better than they are.....